Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

Me my self have lived here for six years and  several tourist visits before. Now I can truly say that the only thing that keep me here is my wonderful thai wife, and that she do want to live close to her family, but not even that will hold me much longer.  I am totally sick of living in a underdevelopment country where you have no rights, corruption is heavy and the officials do what ever they can figure out to make your life hard. The day my wife eventually says, ok we move, we will do it. And if she don´t I probably do it alone, because Thailand really sucks. What is your reason to stay at this place? 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Parsve said:

no rights, corruption is heavy and the officials do what ever they can figure out to make your life hard.

what rights do you expect ?

What rights do you get in Australia ? US  ? EU ?

so there's no corruption in Australia ? US or anywhere …. only Thailand  ?

Please explain what immigration have done / changed in the past , that is any different from other countries that makes your life harder here  ??

Let me know when you can provide real evidence and not just trumpet blowing ….

I must say the same thing. I came here because I learned to love Thai culture after visiting many years ago. Now the situation has become so toxic, that I would run a mile, if it weren't for the fact that I am married to a lovely Thai lady. If I was single I would get my shit together and leave the country ASAP. If my wife and I have a serious argument, or if anything happens to her, I am going to be on a plane to either Vietnam or the Philippines the same day.

90 day reports, TM30, spurious visa requirements - all foreigners in Thailand are treated as criminals. It's a very bad thing to say but sometimes I wish that I had not married a Thai.

36 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Please explain what immigration have done / changed in the past , that is any different form other countries that makes your life harder here  ??

The only rights I am asking for is that my reports should be equal handled whatever IO I go to and whatever officer that I happen to come to, that the police and other officials treat me as anyone else, even treat me as if I was a thai, that is what democracy is about, no one is “better than another”.  Probably there are corruption also in Australia (I have never been there so I do not know) and in USA, but in no way as it is in Thailand.

I also would like to see Thailand as a country, like other democratic countries where you not have to pay more for getting street food or get into for example a museum or a national park just because you are a “farrang”, that is another part of the democrat policy. I would like to see Thailand treat their own people equal never the less if they are poor or rich. I would like to see the police make people following the rules and laws that are decided of the government.

If you can tell me that any of those statement I have  mention above is wrong, I will apologise.

Price of housing is less than 1/3 of what I would spend in America so we've been able to pay off a house loan in 10 years.  My wife has a good job here as an engineer with Samsung and I doubt if she could duplicate her pay in America.  Health care is better and I get it it paid for by VA.  I moved my money here 15 years ago and the interest rate and currency appreciation has done well.  No body bothers me here.  I don't like the American government.  Thai people are fun to watch.  I like the food and Australian wine is reasonable.  I make my own ham and pizza.  

1 hour ago, Parsve said:

Thailand really sucks

Where you live Thailand?

Where you meet wife?

Don’t stay if you don’t like thailand. Go quickly, enjoy your life.

Good luck in the next country. 

48 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Please explain what immigration have done / changed in the past , that is any different from other countries that makes your life harder here  ??

Bye.

18 minutes ago, SteveK said:

90 day reports, TM30, spurious visa requirements - all foreigners in Thailand are treated as criminals.

It's been like this as long as i can remember and i've lived here 16 years.

18 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Now the situation has become so toxic,

What has?

Do we even live in the same country?

I live in Nakon Nowhere, out in the sticks, no neighbors.

When i go to the Mr's village 10 kms away or the local large market town 8 kms away, i get treated better, and by happier, smiling people than i would in my own home country.

Just a general more pleasant experience from the locals.

17 minutes ago, Parsve said:

where you not have to pay more for getting street food 

Utter rubbish.

I live here, for laid back life, late night life, wide range of topographies to explore, cultural depth and variety, P4P girly scene, easy going social scene and to avoid cold winters. Whenever I have to deal with chores and bureaucracy there is always some to help. A wide variety of food is available at a good price and medical treatment is good.

38 minutes ago, Parsve said:

The only rights I am asking for is that my reports should be equal handled whatever IO I go to and whatever officer that I happen to come to, that the police and other officials treat me as anyone else, even treat me as if I was a thai, that is what democracy is about, no one is “better than another”.  Probably there are corruption also in Australia (I have never been there so I do not know) and in USA, but in no way as it is in Thailand.

I also would like to see Thailand as a country, like other democratic countries where you not have to pay more for getting street food or get into for example a museum or a national park just because you are a “farrang”, that is another part of the democrat policy. I would like to see Thailand treat their own people equal never the less if they are poor or rich. I would like to see the police make people following the rules and laws that are decided of the government.

If you can tell me that any of those statement I have  mention above is wrong, I will apologise.

You are in the wrong place in the wrong frame of mind. 

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you either need to get some ear muffs / headphones or move to the village where all I hear is crickets  !

I am in a village. Total noisy nightmare.

Ear plugs. Noise cancelling earphones don't work.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

here we go again your hate against Australia is in every post you write every body

and anybody has the same rights in Australia it does not matter what it is, I guess

you got kicked out of Australia and need to live in a shit hole country where you are

now I wish I never meet you in real life just explain to me how you going to live in that

shit hole without the support from Australia if you can live on 300 baht a day is ok

as long you have a work permit

50 minutes ago, Parsve said:

You have some very valid points in there but Thailand will never be a democracy in our lifetime. But hang in there and keep counting, after year 7 you will soon realize that after all its better to stay put and accept what it is. ????

25 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You are in the wrong place in the wrong frame of mind. 

I surely understand that I am in the wrong place, but I do not understand why it is wrong to find  that a country that say it is democratic and act as Thailand is hard to believe.

So back to the OP why do you live in Thailand ?

Why not live in your home country because it was cheap

to live in Thailand but the point is if you do not have an

income from you home country or any were else how

would you live in Thailand ? I am glad I moved back I can

have anything I like I don't get harassed or double charged

do get free medical treatment  and so many other things

I only speak on behalves of Australians 

38 minutes ago, fishtank said:

I am in a village. Total noisy nightmare.

Ear plugs. Noise cancelling earphones don't work.

That must be in the sticks. My gated village is quieter than a morgue every night of the week. Even the vilalge my wife comes from is relatively quiet mot of the time, unless there is something on at the temple or its Songkran. The occasional smoke from burning off irritates me more. 

I live here because I like living here and it has become my home over the years.  That said, I have no problem with anyone who wishes to leave and will not lobby for them to stay or change their minds.  Stay or go, it really makes no difference to me and how I live my life or how I feel about living here.  The vast majority of foreigners don't stay for one reason or another and I got used to that decades ago.

Thailand simply isn't for everyone and when the novelty wears off there is often nothing left to keep people here.  Of the people who do stay, many are not happy but feel trapped and are unwilling or unable to move on.  I am happy here but not everyone has my life.????

4 minutes ago, Parsve said:

I surely understand that I am in the wrong place, but I do not understand why it is wrong to find  that a country that say it is democratic and act as Thailand is hard to believe.

The plane awaits....

Archived