Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I thought you weren't going to talk to me anymore?  I use a VPN in any country.  So I can watch the complete line up of Netflix movies.  It's Netflix censorship that really bothers me.  But one of the reasons I live in Thailand is the fast 4k that is available when I use my VPN. 

If one of the reasons you live in Thailand is to watch Netflix.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

No, No , No...not us YOU and people like you.

YOU people have this unrealistic dream of the land of milk and pussy at an older age, maybe egged on by people you know. Then you find yourselves in the same trouble as your fiends. Misery loves company. Some people should never leave their own country. Blind naive fools.

I could not agree more. You explained it very well. Thank You!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Is your bum sore?

There was a required break in period, now I just say, you better tie a board to your ass so you don't fall in.  He said: u king, me queen now????  

How's your Hole holding up?

Edited by mike787

4 hours ago, Thainesss said:

Yet the entire structure here is built with zero protection for the male. In the west at least you can get a 50/50 split. Here? Nothing. 

Nothing wrong with protecting yourself. 

I'm guessing you don't live in Thailand or have zero knowledge of Thai laws. Better to split up here than in the west.  50/50 if married according to Law.

If not married? Then what's yours is yours 100%.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

If one of the reasons you live in Thailand is to watch Netflix.....

For the first 12 years I lived in Thailand I watched no TV.  In the 1960's it was B&W cartoons mostly.  After I finished my entertainment and traveling and Wat and deciding who was going to be my Miss Thailand I rescued a soi dog, my wife got a loan to buy a house and I stayed home to be a house husband and started watching Netflix.  And the quality and variety that was available was great.  So in that sense it is one of the reasons I stay in Thailand.  I lived all over Florida 20 years and it sucks.  No comparison to Thailand.  I'd never live there again.  First time I lived in Florida was 1950 and the last time was 2004.  It went from bad to worse.  People nasty the cops meddlesome and dishonest and intolerant.  Government crooked and old crinkly people on the beach with black socks is really terrible.  Better than Mexico - less drive by shooting and kidnappings but that's not saying much and the Spanish food is less likely to cause poisoning.  Miami like living in Cuba without awful poverty. 

Edited by marcusarelus

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Only medicare isnt free in Australia unless you are on a pension or some form of government benefits. Employees pay a medicare levy as part of the compulsory tax component on their gross income, or a reduced levy if they take out private health insurance. The fact that its a compulsory tax that is automatically garnished from ones gross income doesn't equate to a free healthcare system. Then add to the fact that most doctors in Australia don't bulk bill and charge their patients a gap payment means that health cover is far from free. 

Certainly not free for those actually paying taxes including the medicare levy on top of the income tax.

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

I couldn't disagree more! My only interaction with Thais is in an expat community lower Sukhumvit where they bring me food or bring their body . I need interaction with Thai or Indian men like a hole in the head

All the drama i see comes from stupid farang trying to live in his bargirls wifes village surrounded by hillbilly thais. And yes if she speaks English it most certainly wasn't from a university just to go back to her village.

rent rent rent and life is amazing 

In the village my wife's sister's 11 year old daughter speaks English.  First in her class. We chat on the video phone often.

Edited by marcusarelus

3 hours ago, dimitriv said:

I know nothing about the US or Australia. In the Netherlands you will get Dutch nationality after being married and living together for 3 years. When you live together without being married you will get Dutch nationality after 5 years. So after 3 or 5 years you will be 100% Dutch with a Dutch passport. Even after a divorce you could just stay without problems. You will get all the rights other people have also.

And the above is normal. Living together if you are married is a fundamental right. Putting up barriers with minimum income requirements, 90 day reports, TM30's and other weird visa requirements even after years of living here is unjustified.

Ah now I understand. I went to my Dads funeral in the UK in 1992. Took a side trip to Amsterdam. Got shitfaced at 9 am.. All I saw was black people and realty tall white cops.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

If not married? Then what's yours is yours 100%.

Oh wow. It's yours 100% if you don't marry?

Never heard of this before in my country.

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I lived all over Florida 20 years and it sucks

You told us you lived in Thailand for 15 years then before in Vietnam?

In what year did you exactly live in Florida and in what year in Vietnam?

If you don't mind me asking.

Was it this century or the previous one?

It's a very serious question, this is 2019.

Minus the years you stated that you lived in Thailand....Vietnam.....

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

In the village my wife's sister's 11 year old daughter speaks English.  First in her class. We chat on the video phone often.

Does she have tats? 

Of course not was not referring to one in a thousand but you knew that

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I use it for EMPHASIS only. He goes much much further often all capping entire long even multiple connected posts. I was doing it long before I became aware of that trivial similarity and there is no connection between 45 and I.  No, it isn't really a U.S. thing. I agree it's not OK and is shouting for entire posts but I think it is OK to be used selectively for emphasis, same as bold or italic. I don't see anything wrong for people to have a particular style and part of my particular style is to use all caps for emphasis. 

Can you PLEASE think about CHANGING your posting style as it is REALLY annoying to SOME people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

You might become a foreigner in our own country. 

That's fine. I love multicultural environments.

It's funny to hear that statement coming from you, knowing you will never be fully integrated into this country, not even if you get Thai nationality.

Most likely, you will leave this world while on a extension of stay.

(Subject to Immigration approval next year, obviously).

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Can you PLEASE think about CHANGING your posting style as it is REALLY annoying to SOME people.

Jingthing is using poetic license. I personally can't stand many of his points of view but appreciate his right to post as he sees fit.

I use it for EMPHASIS only. He goes much much further often all capping entire long even multiple connected posts. I was doing it long before I became aware of that trivial similarity and there is no connection between 45 and I.  No, it isn't really a U.S. thing. I agree it's not OK and is shouting for entire posts but I think it is OK to be used selectively for emphasis, same as bold or italic. I don't see anything wrong for people to have a particular style and part of my particular style is to use all caps for emphasis. 

Whoopsies.....there we go again!

Emphasis can indeed be gained by italicising or underlining  ...not simply capitalising . Netiquette dude. Stop raising your voice it makes you look petulant and foolish.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

You told us you lived in Thailand for 15 years then before in Vietnam?

In what year did you exactly live in Florida and in what year in Vietnam?

If you don't mind me asking.

Was it this century or the previous one?

It's a very serious question, this is 2019.

Minus the years you stated that you lived in Thailand....Vietnam.....

Constructing another off topic personal attack eh?  Why would I cooperate?  I never said I lived in Thailand for 15 years before Vietnam.  If you have any questions concerning the topic of this thread, "Why I live in Thailand?" Feel free to ask.  How long have you lived in Thailand? Where? When?  What kind of Visa?  Are you married to a Thai woman?  Any children?  Did you hate Thailand before you first came here?

Edited by marcusarelus

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Constructing another off topic personal attack eh?  Why would I cooperate?  I never said I lived in Thailand for 15 years before Vietnam.  If you have any questions concerning the topic of this thread, "Why I live in Thailand?" Feel free to ask.  How long have you lived in Thailand? 

Well Marcus, i never lived in Thailand.

But I did travel into Thailand for extended periods of time, say 10 months out of 12, between 2011 and 2019.

It was not a personal attack, the point I was making was, maybe the Florida you remember from XYZ years ago, is not the same Florida of today, and the same goes for Vietnam.

Things change and they become more balanced.

Now, don't get me wrong, never been to Florida, so I will not comment on particular cases, and I am not in a rush to establish myself in Vietnam, but countries do change in time. Some for the better some for the worse.

Just like Thailand of 2019 is not Thailand of 2011. In my opinion, and many others' opinion,  it's been going in the wrong direction.

Now, you will say that it's all good great, positive changes, bad guys out etc, and I will say to you it has been run by an anti foreigner nationalistic corrupt Junta that Thais themselves complain about.

And we can have this never ending argument if you wish.

Edited by lkv

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
23 minutes ago, madmen said:

25 minutes ago, madmen said:

Living in a bubble completely separate from the Thais like many do certainly does not help matters

I couldn't disagree more! My only interaction with Thais is in an expat community lower Sukhumvit where they bring me food or bring their body . I need interaction with Thai or Indian men like a hole in the head

All the drama I see comes from stupid farang trying to live in his ex bargirls village surrounded by hillbilly thais. And yes if she speaks English it most certainly wasn't from a university just to go back to her village. Cunning ex bar girls and their redneck relatives are probably the biggest source of grief for all old expats

rent rent rent and life is amazing and keep your life assets close to your chest !!

I do not understand if anyone of you referring to my original post, but that is what  you should do, nothing else. And from that view my answer is, No I not live in a "bubble". Half the year I live in Jomtien and the other half in a small village with less than 200 people. I have never say that the people are troublesome, but the authorities. And no, my wife have never been a bargirl and she is not young, she is 55. Please keep the thread at the intenioned question and not come up with own ideas about my life.

16 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Whoopsies.....there we go again!

Emphasis can indeed be gained by italicising or underlining  ...not simply capitalising . Netiquette dude. Stop raising your voice it makes you look petulant and foolish.

You know what's also obnoxious? Repeating the same criticism again and again. Leave it alone. If my posts annoy you so much, the ignore list is your friend. 

You can choose to put any member on IGNORE.

True..but what is the point of that. Isn't a forum a place to see hear and expound you opinion. It would be pretty sad if everything you read is what you agree with.

REMOVE THE IGNORE FUNCTION CHEESEMAN!!

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

True..but what is the point of that. Isn't a forum a place to see hear and expound you opinion. It would be pretty sad if everything you read is what you agree with.

REMOVE THE IGNORE FUNCTION CHEESEMAN!!

OK, I've had enough of this. Bye.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I think it is far more than that. I moved to South East Asia during a war 51 years ago.  I have lived in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia during a war. Since then, I have lived all over the world.  I believe I have a depth of knowledge and experience that you could not have acquired.  I live in Thailand because I have lived in many places and have seen this country during times of stress and good and bad times and have an idea how they will react.  3 coups and a couple of wars gives you an advantage when predicting behavior. 

Moved or were posted? Big difference.