Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

I consider myself very lucky because I'm no longer married, and therefore have no responsibilities to consider any other person in my decisions.

I'm also very fortunate in that I have 'engineered' a very portable job over the past year.  Rather than teaching in a 'bricks and mortar' international or private school, I now only teach students online.

Put those 2 facts together, add in a sprinkling of TM30 requirements, 90 day report requirements, 800,000 baht visa/extension requirements/ ever-fatter P4P (I've slimmed down!), rude IOs, and it's no wonder that I'll be leaving Thailand in about 3 weeks from now.... ????

So you keep telling us, over and over again. Sad to hear that your penis no longer works. Takes a brave man to post that online. Enjoy life in Laos.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

"Not as bad as" logical fallacy.

It's not as bad as China, therefore it's good.

Enjoy the VPN Marcus.

OK drop China.  Thailand does not have a firewall that prohibits the use of Google and Facebook and other sites.  That's another reason I live in Thailand.  In America one never knows when your internet or mobile will be tapped because anyone in government can get a Fisa warrant for the slimmest of reasons like somebody in the UK said you had a golden shower fetish.   In Thailand no one cares about me which makes it nice living here.

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

In Thailand no one cares about me which makes it nice living here.

Internet is tapped for years Marcus. It goes through the digital gateway. They have interactive maps of where the foreigners live and all that. Now, when you take the Skytrain, they effectively know where you go also, if you happen to be in Bangkok.

This is a glimpse of what they had 3 years ago.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/2016/03/28/1459141534/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Why don't you go back now if you hate the place so much?

That is not Thailand's problem or fault.

Thanx.

Bye.

ps, the Sonny B avatar does'nt become you. He's not a winger.

Didn't even know he payed football. Was he the goalie?

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

It takes as much - if not more - courage to return home than it does to move here.

The amount of planning to move back can easily surpass the amount put into moving here. You're older, and there's less room for error. There's greater economic uncertainty today than there was just 10 years ago. Central bank easing has made returns on capital less predictable, and distorted the pricing on many asset classes, especially real estate and stocks. Western governments fiscal deficits and uncertainty about entitlement programs also need to be weighed. When you start factoring in potential costs for long-term care, out-of-pocket medical expenses, and the possibilities of inflation, currency devaluations, low or negative interest rates, or entitlement program cuts, even the most sizeable nest eggs and pension benefits start to look vulnerable.

It takes time to evaluate these factors carefully, and may help explain why people who are contemplating repatriation don't simply pack up and leave on the next plane, as many here often suggest they ought to.

To those contemplating leaving, as I am, my advice would be to carefully research and plan your options, while also making an effort to make your remaining time in Thailand as fulfilling as possible. Focusing on improving both your mental and physical health to prepare for the challenges which lay ahead is also good advice.

It takes me and the wife about ten minutes to check the flights and dates and we are on our way 'home'...mine in Oz. Same in the opposite direction to her 'home' in Thailand.

44 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

What's with the CAPITALISATIONS? Is it a US/Trump thing? Really annoying.

I use it for EMPHASIS only. He goes much much further often all capping entire long even multiple connected posts. I was doing it long before I became aware of that trivial similarity and there is no connection between 45 and I.  No, it isn't really a U.S. thing. I agree it's not OK and is shouting for entire posts but I think it is OK to be used selectively for emphasis, same as bold or italic. I don't see anything wrong for people to have a particular style and part of my particular style is to use all caps for emphasis. 

Edited by Jingthing

32 minutes ago, lkv said:

Why the VPN? Isn't it uncensored, freedom of speech, anybody can comment anything they like?

What are you worried about?

VPNs are about added security as well as privacy.  Such matters are not limited to government authorities. 

18 minutes ago, lkv said:

Internet is tapped for years Marcus. It goes through the digital gateway. They have interactive maps of where the foreigners live and all that. Now, when you take the Skytrain, they effectively know where you go also, if you happen to be in Bangkok.

This is a glimpse of what they had 3 years ago.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/2016/03/28/1459141534/

I posted it before.  I use a VPN and Thailand does not stop Google and Facebook like other countries do.  Which is one of the reasons I live in Thailand. Do they censor the INTERNET in the country where you live?

4 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

This is correct - two sides to Thailand and any story.

Good side to me I a met my wife

Bad side to me is health care and health insurances

Both sides of the story most people want to hear. Before I make any informed decision, I check on line and I most likely read a lot of BS but I read both side to the story. I also do this for most products I buy as well.

TV has a lot of stories, a lot of BS but if you read it enough and been here long enough as I have now, gleaning the truth about it all is pretty easy. I left Australia 10 years ago as I had changed and I did not like my country much then. After a lot of travel here and it now being 10 years later, I am changing again. I see things I have not noticed before and realize I also had it pretty good 10 years ago in Australia but I was too blinded to see this because over time after living somewhere for a long term, you forget things and bash the place.

Same thing for Thailand. I do like Thailand but I am lucky enough I have somewhere else I can compare it too and everything, no matter how you look at it, will have two sides to the story and you can forgot how good you had it. Oh, Thailand is good but I hate to say a lot of people are locked here either for some time (like me married to a Thai) or for good as they brought everything they had over to Thailand and are locked here with no way out. Many people posting would have trouble getting back home and would have pretty big issues if they did.

Yep, two stories to everything and neither will be true depending on whose eyes you are looking through it with.

I married a Thai. I don't feel locked anywhere. I'm 63 she is 54. Lets get back to reality the only people 'locked' are those who have no money. Or the fools who bred with a younger SEA woman for God only knows what reason.

No excuse for that being an Australian with the compulsory superannuation for twenty odd years.

Unless you went straight from the dole or disability pension, as is commonplace these days, to the aged pension and had delusions that you had earned the right to live in a land of milk and honey and pussy.

Edited by emptypockets

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You can choose to put any member on IGNORE.

Why would anyone put you on ignore.  It's fun to watch any post that disagrees with you disappear.  You are a magic guy. Or I'm getting senile.  Remember the overstay penalty one that you were in error about? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I posted it before.  I use a VPN and Thailand does not stop Google and Facebook like other countries do.  Which is one of the reasons I live in Thailand. Do they censor the INTERNET in the country where you live?

Marcus, you're American and I am European, maybe that's the issue. We don't get the type of rubbish coming from the Government as you guys do. We get other types of rubbish, but that's a different story. ????

For me, "not as bad as" isn't good enough long term at my age.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

But I feel sorry for the young generation. I'm sure not far in the future they will hate the politicians for the big mess they have created. 

And we're all going to come to Thailand and be regulated by Police on the streets and be treated like trash, are we? 

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thonglor-police-chief-denies-expats-being-searched-illegally/

24 minutes ago, lkv said:

Marcus, you're American and I am European, maybe that's the issue. We don't get the type of rubbish coming from the Government as you guys do. We get other types of rubbish, but that's a different story. ????

For me, "not as bad as" isn't good enough long term at my age.

I think it is far more than that. I moved to South East Asia during a war 51 years ago.  I have lived in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia during a war. Since then, I have lived all over the world.  I believe I have a depth of knowledge and experience that you could not have acquired.  I live in Thailand because I have lived in many places and have seen this country during times of stress and good and bad times and have an idea how they will react.  3 coups and a couple of wars gives you an advantage when predicting behavior. 

Edited by marcusarelus

Just now, Jingthing said:

Yes it does feel like there has been a negative trend in that regard.

Yeah, and it does not help when you live at Asok.

And when I am being suggested to "move somewhere else", because "it's not as bad as", I will perceive it as a limitation of my movements. Can't stay here, can't stay there.

Main reason I left.

• Like 2

Just now, simon43 said:

Internet surveillance is different from internet censorship. That Wiki article indicated that 110,000 websites are blocked from access in Thailand.  Sure, you can use a VPN, but why the censorship? (Rhetorical question).

Interestingly, when I lived in Myanmar, I never found any internet censorship.  Anti-government websites could be accessed.  I never had to use a VPN.  (Of course, the lack of internet censorship in Myanmar may be because they haven't got a clue how to implement it technically!)

I thought you weren't going to talk to me anymore?  I use a VPN in any country.  So I can watch the complete line up of Netflix movies.  It's Netflix censorship that really bothers me.  But one of the reasons I live in Thailand is the fast 4k that is available when I use my VPN. 

On 7/26/2019 at 7:55 PM, Parsve said:

Me my self have lived here for six years and  several tourist visits before. Now I can truly say that the only thing that keep me here is my wonderful thai wife, and that she do want to live close to her family, but not even that will hold me much longer. 

No, I don't think so. 

We all move to new destinations with big exciting expectations. And then get frustrated, disappointed etc. 

IMO .. the place finally got to you. Earlier than you expected.

That's something people always warned about on forums before, even 10 years ago, when people said they wanted to make the move to Thailand.

Edited by TG911