Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

11 minutes ago, elliss said:

You are obviously unaware of the  manufacturing infrastructure of Thailand .

Where international companies , across the globe have relocated to Thailand.

Reasons being , cheap labour , etc .. 

Yes I am for sure, but I know very well that for instance Toyota move from Thailand to Myanmar becauce it is cheaper there.

55 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I did enjoy most of your posts....but now this is getting pretty bad mate. Pull yer head in.

Whatever you are smoking , or drinking , give it up . 

You are a annoying  . Go away , NOW..

Edited by elliss

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

I did enjoy most of your posts....but now this is getting pretty bad mate. Pull yer head in.

Pretty bad in what way?   I was talking about ex bar girls and he throws an 11 year old girl into the mix. That's his problem not mine and why drag kiddies into a forum like this.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

So what is my "reason to stay at this place?"????

Well, in fact several reasons, and not in a specific order...

The weather
Coming from a Nordic country with long gray fall, and utterly cold and dark winter, it's the dream of all year summer on a tropical island that is never too cold, nor too hot. I found that island here.

The girls or ladies

Here a middle aged (+) gentleman can still fell young together with young ladies, whilst at home he would be considered weird – if not pedophile, if he dares to take a look at uni-girls – except if he is famous or rich, preferably both, then he is cool...????

I'm not famous, not rich...????

I don't mind the the number 1,000-baht notes makes a man more "handsum", it's still a nice feeling – and numerous of the girls and ladies seem to play the role well enough for an "academy nomination" – and if you also behave a bit like a gentleman with the ladies, the number of 1,000-baht notes is a that important; I even experienced not important at all.

I'm a financial refugee

Even the baht exchange rate has dramatically dropped over the past few years, and I lost 25% of transferred income compared to when the exchange rate was in my best favor – there were actually as short time it was 10% worse than now, but that's about 15 years ago – and even some Western products are same price, or even little more expensive here than home, it's still generally slightly cheaper to live in LoS, than to live in my Nordic home country.

Tax is major reason. Here I can afford to live in a nice house – well a "dream house" on a "dream location", the way I dream – it would be almost impossible on my income to live in just anything close to it on my home country due to property taxes, and local taxes, and all kind of "green fees" on supplies of electricity, heating, and water. Furthermore, my small private pensions are taxed little less when living abroad, and dividend and gains from my savings are taxed lower, actually down almost one third of dividend withholding tax – i.e. 10% to 15%, and zero in capital gain tax (if I gain anything), instead of 27% to some 45% in dividend tax, and up to 56% in capital gain tax – making even small savings, like mine, worth just that little bit more that can make "paradise" possible.

Furthermore, investing some money – well, very small for me – in Thailand is not that bad, as one avoid exchange rate fluktuation, and the dividend paying stocks, or mutual funds, are paying just as well as those abroad; actually, it's like the domestic market live it's own life, little less affected by internationally ups and downs. In the unbearably clear light of hindsight I should have invested most of my savings here...????

The neighborhood

I'm Okay with Thai culture, and living in a turist area makes a fine combination between Western life-style, and the local culture. I'm being accepted without being a too weird alien farang, probably because there are lots of even weirder aliens around. I'm lucky to be well liked in the local community, and I mingle more with Thais than foreigners, even I don't speak the language (put nit noi).

I also found a destination with an acceptable balance between the different kind of life-styles in LoS, like peaceful quiet beach – feels almost private at most times – next to mid island wild nature and forest; and only 20-30 minutes car ride from shopping malls, hospitals, night-life and parties, and an international airport.

My Thai family

My lovely girlfriend and our now teen daughter is a major reason to stay here. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to move my girlfriend to my home country, because of domestic restrictions. Furthermore, she would accept a move, but like many other Thais, she would always dream about when she could move back to her own country; even she enjoyed her three longer stay in my home country, before I could make the move. I believe we are more happy as family here, than we would be there.

Safety

I feel safe in Thailand, never had second thought walking alone, or being alone out in night-life. Already before I left my home-country there were areas, where I would not like to be, and I can understand that it only got worse during the last 15 years; my friends says that my country has changed a lot.

Cons and Pros

A question of balance, finding the right balance. There are of course things that makes a life here more difficult, like one have to consider health care – I come from a country with free, or rather tax-paid, healthcare – costs of insurance, or having saved enough for daring to be self insured compared to ongoing insurance costs. Health, and risk of serious accidents, are important to consider.

School, when having a child – I never had any children in my home country, and therefore also needed to find a partner young enough for that – where one might need to consider a private, preferably bi-lingual or EP (English Program) school, rather than a government Thai school, if not an international school. Also to give the child a change for further education and studying abroad, where a government Thai school graduation might not be valued same, as for example an Oxford-certificate. School fees can for many of us "normal" expats be a major sum in the budget, which shall compare to for example free Okay quality school, and education, in one's home-country.

I regularly look at property adds from my home-country, looking especially at something that could afford instead of my house here. Would I change, move back to that?

No. not really.

Visa-rules, and extension of stay, is also becoming a problem for many expats, especially when not being able to set for example 400k baht or 800k baht permanently aside – depending on marriage or retirement conditions – I counted that from the beginning, and neither 90-day address reports, or the annual visit when applying for extension of stay, are seen as problems. TM30 I can do online where I live. Bringing a Thai partner to my home-country would also require financial proof, and for the first number of years a cash bank-guarantee similar to little more than 500k baht, so it's more like "same-same but different".

Life-style

Even I have some limitations – especially financial limitations, until I win Euro Lotto's jackpot – I can live a happy life-style, and better than I could live in my home-country for the same money.

I'm very happy here – and I believe in that happiness is the most important factor for a good life – I'm not going to leave, as long as I'm not forced to it; that's why I "as a farrang live in Thailand"...????

That was a very clinical analysis. Devoid of emotion. Must be  Norwegian thing I guess. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The majority of the family are college educated because they go to school for free.  My point is most Thai people are shy and will only speak English with you after they come to know you.  It took my driver 3 years before he started speaking English with me.  My wife is 30 years younger than I.  Although she is close to 50.  Makes a difference eh?  Stereotyping is always a problem.  

Wow ,,  my wife is 40 years younger than me , why compromise .555

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

Yes I am a pensioner and I have free medicare and subsidized medication

and I realize you pay a medicare levy levy when you employed and every 

doctor I used so far did bulk billing 

So why do you have LOS and Oz as your location under you avatar? Just another dreamer or wannabe? Or has been. Plenty around. Don't feel bad mate - be honest - you'll get more respect.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Well at least I didn't marry my bar girl after a few months and dragged her out of Pattaya into a new house Upcountry and then Became a 'hi so' farang looking  down upon other sex tourists. No doubt you and your village girl are different though

Geez you are getting worse. Can I start now? You seem to be a scared little boy who has problems interacting with grown ups. You live in a fantasy world you refer to as lower Sukhumvit and don't interact with anyone except the food delivery persons. Never been with a woman in your life. Am I close in my assessment? I don't really care one way or the other,

Midnight here in Myanmar...kiss kiss sleep well sunshine.

Sorry I'm going to be blunt.  One or both of Two reasons why most people move to Thailand.  Wonderful beautiful women that you can get to sleep with you and live with you, and a bowl of noodles for just over a dollar. (Metaphorically speaking on the noodles)  On top of that you can do what you want and there's no one to spread the rumors of what you're doing.  The country is hot, dangerous and the medical care is substandard, its unsanitary, the government makes it harder and harder to live there unless you're Chinese or Korean, when they should be creating incentives to make you want to stay.  Moobaans are collapsing, and most of the failed shopping and tourist projects make the country look like something out of a futuristic movie after doomsday.  Its a country of failed projects at the expense of westerners.  Its fun to visit because its cheap and the sex is easy.  Other than that is a proverbial dump.  I lived there for 6 months and most expats are always saying why they love Thailand in an effort to convince themselves that they love it.  Most of the time they are talking about how little they paid for something and how you paid to much.  To sum it up, Its cheap to live eat and have sex.   Other than that its a constant struggle.  I will go back to visit for a few months at a time.  Most westerners that think they can move there totally wake up to the rude awakening that its no place to live your whole life.

Edited by 235291_1469957462
more information and misspelling
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Parsve said:

Well, some of us will fore sure do, but before you start writing you maybe should think a little. Tourism is the second largest income for Thailand, rice is the first. But without the tourists, what you think for instance Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hin would look like? Believe me it would be ghost townes and thousands of people with no work. Thailand is a undeveloped land that without the ability to stand on its own legs without tourism and people from other countries make investments here. But it is of course up to you if you would like to go back 60 years or more.  

I think you might want to revisit you business model.

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

I think you might want to revisit you business model.

So what was it for example out of what he said that you don't particularly agree with?

1 hour ago, Parsve said:

iYes I am for sure, but I know very well that for instance Toyota move from Thailand to Myanmar becauce it is cheaper there.

Show me the  evidence

I Iive in Myanmar. Partially knocked down vehicles imported for the left hand drive market maybe 100 a month. Toyota is not moving here just yet.

53 minutes ago, madmen said:

Pretty bad in what way?   I was talking about ex bar girls and he throws an 11 year old girl into the mix. That's his problem not mine and why drag kiddies into a forum like this.

My apologies. I officially love you. Stop the big boys picking on me.

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I was a PhD candidate but I passed that up for a career as Dad said the opportunity to  get a promotion to assistant postmaster in Luton was a better prospect for steady money. Which I did. Then a friend of an old school mate told me about Thailand.

I met a bar girl when I was 65 and she told me she loved me. If she doesn't love me I will reduce her monthly allowance. 

Luckily she is pregnant and her other kids call me Boo Emptypockets. I am so immersed and loved.

Oops just realised it costs money to live this fantasy and I don't have any . Mate told me to join Thaivisa….

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I consider myself fortunate not to have gone through what you've been through.

Edited by lkv

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

It may have been his overinflated expectations on tourism. Go read his claims again. 

So you did not agree that tourism represents an important part of the Thai economy, 20% of GDP, and the rice exports another significant part?

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

A lot of clubs on line all night long if you know the right channels. 

On line? Sorry I dont understand.  Swing used to open at 7am or 9am. And the Tunnel closed late but I thought they closed at 2am these days. 

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

And you my friend, are the root cause of all problems for foreigners living in Thailand.

No interaction and utter contempt for the nationals apart from banging their women.

Go Big Oud...get this one next...please!!

I agree. The Thais make the best friends money can buy!

• Haha 1

I am the guy that sings songs as I ride my motorcycle for 30 minutes each day.

I typically ride towards the end of the evening about 10pm.

I do this most evenings.

I am happy here and happiness has always come at a cost so I don't fret because maybe one day I'll be forced to make sacrifices and I'm prepared to make them but I'm very grateful that I'm not being forced to make them now or hopefully in the future. Fingers crossed, I paid my dues Maybe enough already but life was never clear cut before so I don't expect anything less now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I agree. The Thais make the best friends money can buy!

So he came to Thailand as a sex tourist and you came to Thailand to purchase friends?

Can you be more specific? Like female friends to provide domestic help at an advanced age, or what friends that money can buy are we referring to?

2 hours ago, lkv said:

So he came to Thailand as a sex tourist and you came to Thailand to purchase friends?

Can you be more specific? Like female friends to provide domestic help at an advanced age, or what friends that money can buy are we referring to?

Its just an old adage, nothing to get upset about. And heres another one for you albeit slightly of topic. Thais: The most efficient killing machine in the world. My motives for living here were not predetermined by knowledge gained after I lived here. Do you read books? Give it a try. Regarding sex tourism,  silly. Its like saying travellers in UK are Tea tourists or in France are wine tourists. Sex tourist is not really a useful phrase in understanding Thais, travellers and the interactions that exist between them. Its a convenient but lazy, judgementtal term,  rather like druggie or prostitute. It says more about the user of the phrase than the subject ir person being described. Good luck in Asia.

Edited by sunnyboy2018

6 hours ago, elliss said:

You are obviously unaware of the  manufacturing infrastructure of Thailand .

Where international companies , across the globe have relocated to Thailand.

Reasons being , cheap labour , etc .. 

Agree tourism if it dropped by 80% to 10 million like the good ole days the Thais would be fine and Thailand better because of it. This Thailand is going to die without tourists and sex mongers is BS!

50 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I think to myself it is a shame what has happened to this place since I moved here. And then I think of where I came from and think, it's a shame what has happened to that place since I left.

The greed from mass tourism and the foreigners Thailand attracts has ruined the country. Covering beaches with resorts and beach chairs everything just looks the same.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, steven100 said:

what rights do you expect ?

What rights do you get in Australia ? US  ? EU ?

so there's no corruption in Australia ? US or anywhere …. only Thailand  ?

Please explain what immigration have done / changed in the past , that is any different from other countries that makes your life harder here  ??

Let me know when you can provide real evidence and not just trumpet blowing ….

i think the OP is just pissed with Thailand and maybe his wife's family.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lkv said:

yes, ladies. sex friends the same as the rest of us 

12 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i think the OP is just pissed with Thailand and maybe his wife's family.

That is often the case. Blame ALL the Thais, the Thai government, Thai Immigration, anything that even looks Asian and anything that looks remotely Thai . And never ask yourself . Was marrying that bar girl, never bothering to learn the language, drinking yourself into stupor 24/7 and never bothering to adapt to a foreign country such a hot idea ? The majority of the problems with both tourists and expats is themselves. STOP! blaming the Thais for all your problems.

• Like 2