Why are Thai's so rude to farangs?

I've always managed to negotiate a significant discount at a guest house by paying up front with a wad of thousand baht bills. I don't think this behavior has anything to do with race, unless of course you are Indian or African because Thai people are very prejudiced against dark skin tones. What I find wholly unacceptable is Thai people's lack of respect for those who have paid to sleep. Numerous times I have been awoken by the sound of an angle grinder just a few feet from the door of my room at 5am. That really annoys me but I've had similar experiences in Malaysia, Singapore and Laos, they just don't think that waking you up is a big deal. I spent a few months at a Malaysian friend's house, and at about 6am the mother would start screaming at the Indonesian maid as loud as she could, forget the fact that I had been up all night drinking disgusting Malay beer!

Edited by SteveK

Just now, sanemax said:

I have never been in any shop in the World where the staff have told me to ++++ off (yes , I guessed what the word was, no need for a detailed explanation) .

Neither have I.

That's why I find it rude. 

• Haha 1

Just now, sanemax said:

That kind of response isnt typical of Thais , it seems to be a one time event aimed at you and you cannot suggest that All Thais are rude because of one solitary episode 

I didn't suggest all Thais are rude.  Many are rude, many are polite. 

• Like 2

Ok, I'm going to be blunt and utterly honest. If you have dark skin you aren't liked as a foreigner in Thailand especially if you remotely look Indian. Too many have come to Thailand and have NOT respected their culture as most are loud, pushy, demanding, cheap and treat the woman like animals. I've seen all of the above with my own eyes. It will take years, perhaps decades before Indians will be remotely accepted. Color of skin really is a huge part of the culture where white skin is revered and dark skin is nearly sub human in ways. Their culture, their ways especially outside of "entertainment" areas. Countless times I've heard bouncers at clubs say "private club" when clearly they aren't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JetSetFvr said:

If you have dark skin you aren't liked as a foreigner in Thailand

Not true, there is a specific lower rung of ladies that like them on Walking Street.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

i see racism and rudeness almost daily from thai people against farangs both western & indian ,

so you are talking out of your backside !

I'm happy to be nowhere near that dump, what a miserable life.

35 minutes ago, nomad2019 said:

i see racism and rudeness almost daily from thai people against farangs both western & indian ,

so you are talking out of your backside !

Rather than intimating that sundry posters are trumpeting forth from their rear fundiments-which may or may not be true..

I prefer a term I borrowed from the US military.

"Em-bubbled"..

Once you get used to applying the term you will find that understanding expats in Thailand just got a whole lot easier..????

Edited by Odysseus123

Like everything else, you get what you give. Last holiday my motorbike taxi was a bit silent and surly first day. Three days later we're best mates, and if he was off duty his mates were cheery and smiling too.

Just for an extra 10 baht a trip. Many will recoil from the idea, but by the time I went home he was refusing to take it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HLover said:

Bars and clubs are normally in entertainment areas I assume?

No of course not but one must also be careful when going into Thai bars because some Thai people really don't like Farang or any foreigners. Many reasons really but mainly it's because they know why most Farang come to Thailand or they are jealous of the "status" they themselves don't have. I call it country pride but one is treated much different if they know Thai culture, respect it, and speak the language. In the entertainment areas there is more flexibility but one cannot expect to get top shelf if they have darker skin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

I've been to many "Thai-only" kinds of places around the country. I have never experienced hostility, in fact I have always been warmly welcomed. Maybe it's something about you?

No, not with me as I too have never had a problem.  However, go off in some smaller villages and that might not be the case as yes, just like any other country....some people just aren't liked. I've known a few people that had problems as they didn't know the culture and stepped over a guys legs that was sitting on the ground.

2 minutes ago, JetSetFvr said:

It comes down to this when traveling to Thailand or any country..........respecting their culture. Learn basic Thai, smile, be happy, talk softly, be mellow, respect all Thai people, don't ever argue, say hello in Thai, don't be pushy and just be utterly CHILL.  I've traveled to TL for the past 5 years for a month at a time. I've never had one problem with anyone that was Thai........ever. Oh wait, once I said Hi to a motor taxi guy and he didn't reply........does that count?

A long way to say "show respect". This will get you far in almost every country.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Opl said:

As you mention, " there is hardly anyone here", so 700 TB per day is not a huge income . the owners must be in need of cash.

I would not pay for the total lenght of stay in advance, because it would be uneasy to get refund if I leave the place earlier.

in hotels that require advance booking because of a high occupancy rate I usually pay for the coming week ahead - room only - or room + motorbike ( because I generally negociate the package) - extras are paid when checking out.

If you do not like the way you are treated by the staff or the owner, why don't you try elsewhere? 

Because most likely elsewhere same type of room cost double ????

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

A long way to say "show respect". This will get you far in almost every country.

Some things have to be spelled out to some as some cultures have no idea what being a civil human is all about. This will ensure a good trip to all that read.

Just now, JetSetFvr said:

I've known a few people that had problems as they didn't know the culture and stepped over a guys legs that was sitting on the ground.

I was scolded in rude terms by Thais because they wanted to drive their car over my legs when I was sitting on the ground.  They didn't do it or but were quite angry.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, uhuh said:

I was scolded in rude terms by Thais because they wanted to drive their car over my legs when I was sitting on the ground.  They didn't do it or but were quite angry.

Well, you must have said or did something or just had bad luck. Knock on wood but I've never had one problem.  Then again, I do speak general Thai with confidence. I heard a freelancer tell and Indian to lick the bottom of her foot!  I can't think of a worse insult to anyone in Thailand.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, manarak said:

shouldn't the thread topic read "Why are Thai's so rude to farang's?"

just for coherence...

It should be "Why are Thais so rude to farangs?". Learn to use an apostrophe, Jesus, where did you go to school?

It's amazing that so many English speakers don't understand what an apostrophe is for, yet they are happy to come here to do a bit of Thai-bashing. Learn your own language first before you criticize people living on the other side of the planet, I'm sure their grasp on their own language and grammar is far better than yours.

Edited by SteveK
  • Haha 1

Seems OP Is confusing hostility with simple business running 

In case of OP, there is nothing rude to know if someone is staying or checking out, there is nothing wrong with wanting to be paid ahead when there is no security deposit, even more so when one insists on paying by the day and refuses to notify or confirm in advance .

Then of course the discount demands, christ 700 is already dirt cheap but he wants more and paying daily and compares it to Nepal or India . Well if it’s so good in India., why do not you stay there ?

If it’s cheaper and better elsewhere , why do not you go there instead of whining and wanting discount?

• Like 1