Why are Thai's so rude to farangs?

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

It should be "Why are Thais so rude to farangs?". Learn to use an apostrophe, Jesus, where did you go to school?

Although I understand your point as I too am picky when it comes to writing......I sense you are a bit cranky Steve?  Shit happens I guess. 

Just now, JetSetFvr said:

Well, you must have said or did something or just had bad luck.

I didn't say anything. 

I was reading something,  maybe they considered this a provocation, needlessly demonstrating my literacy ????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I'm not cranky, it just riles me to see people who are completely incompetent in their own language to be criticizing others....

If you don't understand what an apostrophe is, then don't use one.

An apostrophe is to show possession or contraction, it is NOT FOR PLURALS!

How do you know that it is their own language?Many folks on this forum come from Europe and elsewhere..yea..even Australia (I am Australian by the way) and even I grow somewhat bored by the grammar Nazis for,as you know,only Aussies really speak the Queen's English..????

Edited by Odysseus123

21 minutes ago, JetSetFvr said:

Well, you must have said or did something or just had bad luck. Knock on wood but I've never had one problem.  Then again, I do speak general Thai with confidence. I heard a freelancer tell and Indian to lick the bottom of her foot!  I can't think of a worse insult to anyone in Thailand.

Humour and/or comprehension isn't your strong point it seems.

21 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It should be "Why are Thais so rude to farangs?". Learn to use an apostrophe, Jesus, where did you go to school?

It's amazing that so many English speakers don't understand what an apostrophe is for, yet they are happy to come here to do a bit of Thai-bashing. Learn your own language first before you criticize people living on the other side of the planet, I'm sure their grasp on their own language and grammar is far better than yours.

Or perhaps simply "Why are Thais so rude to me?'

Edited by emptypockets
Didn't capitalise the w in why. Don't want to give the grammar nazis fuel
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It's amazing that so many English speakers don't understand what an apostrophe is for, yet they are happy to come here to do a bit of Thai-bashing. Learn your own language first before you criticize people living on the other side of the planet, I'm sure their grasp on their own language and grammar is far better than yours.

lol, irony is lost on you, isn't it?

and I'm not even a native English speaker, LMAO

Edited by manarak
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, JetSetFvr said:

Although I understand your point as I too am picky when it comes to writing......I sense you are a bit cranky Steve?  Shit happens I guess. 

Maybe a little hypertensive after eating too much pizza? Just kidding Stevek, but homemade pizza does have a lot of salt in the dough as well as the toppings. You do have to monitor your sodium intake over here.

@stevek

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I am not a "grammar Nazi", but it just really upsets me to see people ribbing the Thais when they don't have even a basic schoolboy grasp of their own language and grammar.

Once again-many folks posting on this forum are not native English speakers as they come from all over and even we get our apostrophes wrong at times..

I still struggle with the old "greengrocer's apostrophes"which seemed quite logical to me.

And now,they,have,even,abandoned,the,Oxford,comma..

How dare they?

Edited by Odysseus123

13 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I am not a "grammar Nazi", but it just really upsets me to see people ribbing the Thais when they don't have even a basic schoolboy grasp of their own language and grammar.

yes ur prolly right.

That term 'prolly' really gets to me. The word is probably.

39 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I'm not cranky, it just riles me to see people who are completely incompetent in their own language to be criticizing others....

One farang. Two farangs. NOT TWO FARANG'S. Jesus, go back to school idiots.

One Farang

Two Farangi

We come from Farangistan

Edited by faraday
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, faraday said:

Two Farangi

Sounds like something from Star Trek.

It takes one minute to educate yourself about the correct use of an apostrophe. If you can't be bothered to do that then stop using them altogether!

Edited by SteveK

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It takes one minute to educate yourself about the correct use of an apostrophe. If you can't be bothered to do that then stop using them altogether!

Yes, Steven.

11 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Ah..the spirit that lost an empire...intolerance.

My grandfather ('pon landing in England in 1916 as part of a reinforcement draft for the AIF) found the English to be utterly incomprehensible on so many levels....

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well I must agree with you and living out in the sticks then you also get to understand, as I am sure you have already, that the local Thais also get very annoyed at the rudeness shown to them by their own brethren in the major cosmopolitan areas too.

city and country folk, same the world over..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Why are  SOME  Thais so rude to SOME  farangs?

There, that should add some room for discussion rather than arguing about "Apostrophe Now".

But..but..I just love the smell of a dropped apostrophe in the morning..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

One farang. Two farangs. NOT TWO FARANG'S. Jesus, go back to school idiots.

one Trump, two Trumps .. “They call him Britain Trump,” said President Donald Trump. And how is Trump's " Britain Trump" correct?

Edited by Opl

I live in the North and I can say without exception I find the people very friendly and polite.

I might meet someone in the street or shop who I might have only met once before and they greet you like they have known you for years.

Re the hotel, my wife has a motel and a block of apartments, re the motel often guests book in for one night and then forget to say they are extending the stay.

Of course you have to ask if they are staying or leaving, the rooms have to be cleaned and you need to know if there are vacancies, at the end of the day it is a business to run not a charity.

Treat people fairly and politely and you will receive the same, this is Thailand not Nepal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Onef farang. Two farangs. NOT TWO FARANG'S. Jesus, go back to school idiots.

For plural I prefer 'farang' over 'farangs'.

But 'farang' in the title is most likely incorrect since OP seems to be non-caucasian, therefore not a farang.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Also when i asked about a discount for 1 week or even 1 month the manager got really offended and told me to check the hotel next store. How rude! 

OK don't forget to shut the door on your way back to India. :coffee1:

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1