Why are Thai's so rude to farangs?

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I live in the North and I can say without exception I find the people very friendly and polite.

I might meet someone in the street or shop who I might have only met once before and they greet you like they have known you for years.

Re the hotel, my wife has a motel and a block of apartments, re the motel often guests book in for one night and then forget to say they are extending the stay.

Of course you have to ask if they are staying or leaving, the rooms have to be cleaned and you need to know if there are vacancies, at the end of the day it is a business to run not a charity.

Treat people fairly and politely and you will receive the same, this is Thailand not Nepal.

I’m sure the OP thought his hotel was a shelter for the homeless, ie a charity until you spelled that out for us.

At the same time, thank you for pointing out Thailand is not Nepal, what is the significance of that exactly?  Hotels are charities in Nepal and free?  Or you don’t treat people fairly and politely in Nepal?  Only Indians travel in Nepal?  I’m confused ...not just by you ....by all the condescending and weird assumptions made by posters in this thread.

• Like 1

Maybe the Thais have gotten sick and tired of all the obnoxious , disrespectful foreigners they encounter. Maybe not yourself but someone they just had a bad run in with before you. I just avoid foreigners and their tourist slums. Guess what ? 99.99999% of Thais treat me with respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They are rude because they want to get paid? Checking a bike is normal practice. You better stay in Nepal then. 

My question is. What city is he staying in? And what types of foreigners are staying in the same hotel. I avoid where foreigners stay and never have this problem.

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Seems most of the posters on here disagree with you. I do not encounter many Thai people who are rude. I find most to be pleasant, cheerful, and easy to deal with. As long as you are not trying to get a refund, LOL. Sure, this manager you refer to sounds like a bit of a pig. And alot of the immigration officers are cold, and not particularly helpful. Not all. But most. But most Thais are pretty cool, in my opinion. And the further you get away from the congested tourist zones in CM, Pattaya, Phuket and Samui, the nicer people get. Some are just jaded, and sick of working with tourists. 

Whenever I am out in the boonies, or in the smaller towns, I love the people here! 

I could not agree more. Stay away from the tourist slums and dodgy obnoxious foreigners and where they hang and i NEVER have any problems. If i see dodgy looking foreigners heading in my direction or in a certain hotel or restaurant i run in the other direction because i know their attitudes likely already did some damage. i come along and i have to deal with the damage done.

Why are you in Thailand? I suggest you take your dislike of Thai's and Thailand straight to the airport, get on a plane, and never come back. Obviously, some Thai find you untrustworthy. They are probably following their intuition just like all smart human beings do.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SteveK said:

I'm not cranky, it just riles me to see people who are completely incompetent in their own language to be criticizing others....

If you don't understand what an apostrophe is, then don't use one.

An apostrophe is to show possession or contraction, it is NOT FOR PLURALS!

One farang. Two farangs. NOT TWO FARANG'S. Jesus, go back to school idiots.

I can understand you concern. misunderstanding apostrophes can be painful to see. Commas are another thing. The example of " Let's eat, Grandma" versus "Let's eat Grandma" is an old standard.

In this case of Manarak's comment, it seems they added the apostrophe to the word Farang for comic effect at a small expense of the OP. I certainly saw it in that light and it me chortle - then cough and cough and cough.. I am sick right now. But I digress.

Maybe go back and reread Manarak's comment and you might see it in a different light. And you just scorn may then be redirected back to the OP's title on this thread.

33 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Oh, Ratcatcher, you've really just made me kick off now.. I can deal with the odd apostrophe out of place or position. I can occasionally deal with misused commas. But simply cannot stand by while you so recklessly type accented words in all capitals and then have the nerve to underline them as well. Good god, man! No doubt the time of changing the font colour for even more emphasis will soon be upon us. Heaven help us then.

????????

Oh fear Fwap, I hope you haven't kicked off too far. Perhaps my font size and underlining was a bit otp but I'm afraid the font color is due to the headline on TVF being blue.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ilms said:

Be subtle and soft-spoken when asking for things

hahahhah   sorry, after a few minutes of laughing at this suggestion directed at farangs ...

I will admit that it is a very good one

a lifetime of learned behaviour often takes quite a long time to modify

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, HLover said:

In the rudeness realm:

Knocking on your door to get paid and confirm your stay vs unrelenting hassles to buy a suit....I'm voting for a mid-day soft door knock.

They can stand there all day pressing the doorbell - I'm not answering because I disconnected it inside the house.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Why are Thai's so rude to farangs?

For the love of God, not another one!

Is it open season for moaning and winging or am i misrepresenting things?
Jeez.

Are you referring to the moaning in your own post per chance? ????????

And Ratcatcher, we are seeing evolution right here and now. It seems increased font size comes before change of font palette. I didn't see that coming. See what you started ????

• Confused 1

In retrospect i think i've cracked the code!

When Thai's get rude or aggressive it is because there is something wrong with the deal and they are bullying people into buying.

In this case this guesthouse had a smell of chemical VOC's. I had to leave after 2 days become of the ache. It explains why it was half empty i think.

When ever Thai's get aggressive in making a deal : walk away!

aEiztAO.gif

• Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 3:07 PM, spidermike007 said:

Seems most of the posters on here disagree with you. I do not encounter many Thai people who are rude. I find most to be pleasant, cheerful, and easy to deal with. As long as you are not trying to get a refund, LOL. Sure, this manager you refer to sounds like a bit of a pig. And alot of the immigration officers are cold, and not particularly helpful. Not all. But most. But most Thais are pretty cool, in my opinion. And the further you get away from the congested tourist zones in CM, Pattaya, Phuket and Samui, the nicer people get. Some are just jaded, and sick of working with tourists. 

Whenever I am out in the boonies, or in the smaller towns, I love the people here! 

I can't argue with your post, I have lived in my village nearly 14 years, and have never had any Thai being rude to me.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:37 PM, Yinn said:

Maybe because you smell bad, or speak impolite or look ugly.

Do you take sex worker to room?

i think you should find another country for holiday.

Good luck.

Maybe he's one of the fat, ugly, tattooed brigade.:cheesy:

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2019 at 5:10 PM, BritManToo said:

Farang = white person.

Sounds like you may be a 'Kairk', generally no trusted by Thais (unless you're Buddha).

Thai saying is if you see a snake and kaek better kill kaek first.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:35 PM, mngmn said:

Not to mention serving Thais first and even letting them push in front of you.

Yes, I have had Thais try that with me a few times, but no one has ever succeeded.

• Haha 1