Australia requesting Biometric scans.

My Filipino gf is applying for a visitor visa to accompany me to Oz, Home Affairs need her to visit a Visa Application Centre or Biometric Collection Centre. We live in Ban Chang can anybody advise us where the nearest Centres are as we have to get it done in 14 days.

Update I have discovered 2 places for the Biometrics Bangkok or Chaing Mai, so off to Bangkok for us plus another 50 quid on top of the £80+ for the visa christ only going for 10 days. Don't you just love Oz.

It is a rip off and should be reviewed by the parliament.  If you are running out of time you can make a request for a waiver.  I fail to see why It needs to be done for Thai citizens given that Thais have to provide this information when they apply for a passport.  I would love to see the VFS contract.  I can think of  a host of other better and more efficient ways of collecting this data

I had a client who applied for a partner visa, they had to provide Biometrics data

A week later we submitted an application for a tourist visa so they could could be together whilst the department considers their partner visa. They had to travel Bangkok at considerable expense to resubmit their bio metric data.  (I did not  know that bio metric data become outdated that quick.  All they need to do is access the Thai passport database ad biometrc data stored on the Thai passport.

I guess that if there is any change in policy the government would have to pay compensation to VFS.  If you do not print out the appointment letter they charge you 75THB to print It.  I can not see why, when all they need is to scan the barcode from your phone.   It is a huge money spinner for VFS which is a private company (established in India)

The whole process should be reviewed.  (Not to mention the public safety issues with overcrowding on the 28th Floor)  

Edited by OffshoreMig
minor
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

His missus aint Thai.

I understand that. As a Registered Australian Migration Agent I deal with Australian visas all the time.

Edited by OffshoreMig
minor

10 hours ago, OffshoreMig said:

A week later we submitted an application for a tourist visa so they could could be together whilst the department considers their partner visa. They had to travel Bangkok at considerable expense to resubmit their bio metric data.  (I did not  know that bio metric data become outdated that quick.  All they need to do is access the Thai passport database ad biometrc data stored on the Thai passport.

Biometrics are taken every time you apply for a visa so that they know it's the same person applying. That's the way I understand it.

14 hours ago, OffshoreMig said:

It is a rip off and should be reviewed by the parliament.  If you are running out of time you can make a request for a waiver.  I fail to see why It needs to be done for Thai citizens given that Thais have to provide this information when they apply for a passport.  I would love to see the VFS contract.  I can think of  a host of other better and more efficient ways of collecting this data

I had a client who applied for a partner visa, they had to provide Biometrics data

I guess that if there is any change in policy the government would have to pay compensation to VFS.  If you do not print out the appointment letter they charge you 75THB to print It.  I can not see why, when all they need is to scan the barcode from your phone.   It is a huge money spinner for VFS which is a private company (established in India)

The whole process should be reviewed.  (Not to mention the public safety issues with overcrowding on the 28th Floor)  

A few questions if you don't mind.

Where does it say you can apply for a waiver for biometrics?

I was of the understanding this was non-negotiable.

Are you saying the Oz Embassy or VFS have access to the Thai passport database?

On 7/28/2019 at 10:42 PM, OffshoreMig said:

My wife has had to do several biometrics for tourist visas, they are valid for 6 months from memory. She will be back in Oz in December, I just got off the phone from Dept of Imm asking about the procedure for the 820 visa, I'm more confused than when I started!!

On 7/28/2019 at 5:04 PM, mickyr55 said:

Update I have discovered 2 places for the Biometrics Bangkok or Chaing Mai, so off to Bangkok for us plus another 50 quid on top of the £80+ for the visa christ only going for 10 days. Don't you just love Oz.

My wife has been to the Bangkok one several times, she said it's pretty pain free. Of course, the opportunity to hit the malls always helps!

On 7/29/2019 at 9:48 AM, Will27 said:

Where does it say you can apply for a waiver for biometrics?

I was of the understanding this was non-negotiable.

That's my understanding also, except for people who are disabled who physically can't undertake it.

Or the minister may grant an exception, but that would be very very rare.

So it would be interesting to see where in policy or legislation that says a waiver is available for simply running out of time or for convenience etc.

As a Australian registered migration agent this information should be pretty easy for Offshoremig to provide

So also awaiting your response as it would be good information to know 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 7:42 PM, OffshoreMig said:

If you are running out of time you can make a request for a waiver.  

So guess that seeing that you haven't been able to provide an answer to this question that should be a simple answer for a registered visa agent (MARA) then we can assume that you aren't a registered agent as you claim. 

Seems to be a pattern with a lot of so called agents that they claim a lot but don't even know the basics of the job.

Something people should consider in my opinion before engaging such persons. 

Edited by PhanomR
  • Like 2