The mystery of exactly how many expats live in Thailand

rooster59

24 minutes ago, frankholland said:

Maybe we can make an estimation ourselves. I live in Korat, and do my retirement extention begin september. The extention has a number. The average number for the last 4 years is 4500. So that means in a year the korat immigration issues about 6750 retitement extentions a year. The most expats live in Bangkok, Pattaya, changmai, pucket and udon thani. If people from those regions make the same estimations for their province, we can see if we come close to the 72000.

there are 70 provinces, so total over 500k

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Expats are in fact one of the golden geese of Thailand. Do the math, if each one, spends 100 dollars a week, thats a sizable hunk for the economy.  So, why kill this golden goose?

100 dollars a week, are you aussie, i get through 100000 baht a month. Wife 30000. 2 nieces 6500. Electric 6000, car ins 1500 all a month. 

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

On the link show...

Burma.        1,292,686

cambodia    281,292

laos.            222,432

others.         223,558

no nationality 117,315

I think Aussie in “others”

no natinality I think like the hilltribe people 

One or two of our members are married to people from the hilltribes so guess they will consider it quite insulting for you to say  "no natinality I think like the hilltribe people", or did you say that as a joke ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, londonthai said:

there are 200 other countries passport holders than those mentioned above, so even if there is only a few thousands from each country, that would make another hundreds of thousands.

but probably better not to know the figure, because there would be outcry from thai nationalists and another crackdown from the military, that country is overrun by foreigners and have to chop them

Then the nationals from China be chopped?

No way!

15 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

One or two of our members are married to people from the hilltribes so guess they will consider it quite insulting for you to say  "no natinality I think like the hilltribe people", or did you say that as a joke ?

My son was born in Thailand nearly 3 years ago. I am Aussie and his mum from Myanmar and on his birth certificate it listed him as no nationality with a side note stating he was someone temporarily or illegally in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Those numbers are way low. A fraction of the reality.

According to wiki- Foreign residents by country of origin 2010 Nationality Population

Myanmar Myanmar1,292,686

Cambodia Cambodia281,292

Laos Laos222,432

China China141,553

United Kingdom United Kingdom85,836

Japan Japan80,898

India India46,3261

United States United States40,230

Germany Germany24,383

France France22,486

Vietnam Vietnam17,662

Philippines Philippines17,574

Malaysia Malaysia8,182

Singapore Singapore2,952

Indonesia Indonesia2,952

Others174,2366.75

Stateless117,3154.54

Unknown2,1470.08

Total population2,581,141100.00

I think this is rather near to the truth.

However, very strange numbering.

I heard that from the Netherlands there are about 10,000 expats living in Thailand, about 7000 on a pension or social payments.

And that from a country of 17 million.....

• Like 1