The mystery of exactly how many expats live in Thailand

rooster59

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Just looking at a city in the lower northeast makes me believe that more foreigners are living here full time.

When I arrived here in 2002, you could hardly see foreigners here.

Now you can see them everywhere, at shopping malls, restaurants, and other places. 

Pretty hard to understand that the number of expats has declined.

But when is a foreigner considered an expat? After 5, 10, or 15 years?

It is well known that tourist or short stayers who frequently goes to shopping malls, restaurants and where there are tourists attractions.

Edited by blackcab
Quote reformatted

Select a nominated start date. Count the number of persons crossing the boarder or entering at airports. Minus the number of matched departures, deaths and then cross match with latest known visas Marriage Records and hotel data records.  Should not be that hard to derive an accurate count. 

When I first came to Thailand in 2010 and exchanged my non-immigrant type "O" for a retirement extension, the IO showed me his list of extensions for the last 12 moths here in Khon Kaen, 4600.  So, that number included any and all who were getting some type of extension.

So if someone wanted to do the leg work and go to all Immigration Offices throughout the 77 provinces, he could get a reasonably decent idea to the number of expats of all foreign citizens on extensions.

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

In a thai mathematics classroom ;

Yesterday I bought a pad thai for 35 baht ;

I gave a 50 baht note  and I said give me back  15 baht 

but he needed to use his calculator to check :crazy:

Looks like the Thais are good in addition and multiplication, not subtraction and division ????

7 hours ago, justin case said:

thailand can never be a home for non-thais... you cannot buy / own land, you don't get nationality even you married / worked / family ,  you don't have the right to stay with your children in the country if you get divorced to a nasty piece of shit

No right to even visit your children in Thailand as I discovered when my non Immigrant O was declined.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, NormanW said:

I'm half English half Scottish and half Irish. 

I wonder they'd place me???

never saw or heard of anybody with 3 halfs,,, you really must feel special, one of a kind

• Haha 1

Pretty much the usual garbage type report that you wonder why they produce it?

Every persons passport scanned in has information input from it.

And the type of visa associated with it.

Also the following...

Name.

Nationality.

Sex.

Age.

Distinguishing features.

Method of entry.

Length of stay.

Place of entry.

Last port of departure. 

Place of stay.

Reason for visit. 

And so it goes...

Anyone who is here and not on the system is not legally here.

Just a simple query search function will provide any report you want from this data.

Known legal entries.

Nationality. 

Location advised.

Expected departure..

The definition of an expat, retirees, and residents status needs clarity. 

It's not rocket science. 

Just basic computer skills. 

Possibly the same reporting can be run for Visa renewals and extensions done using agents, if they really wanted. 

It's just a search for the approving office and officers. 

If they want to enforce their laws and policies, just get on with it.

Then I know if I need to pack my bags...

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

A simple query search function will provide any report you want from this data.

Known legal entries.

Nationality. 

Location advised.

Expected departure..

It's not rocket science. 

Just basic computer skills.

Is it possible that the immigration database is not quite as good as many on TV believe it to be? Surely not?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Thai government does not want anyone to know the true number. They are afraid if we knew we might together and demand change to all the immigration laws or demand they be administrated on using a common definition and application.

This "BS" of different interpretation by office and officer is CRAZY.

I haven't read to the end of the comments yet, but there is a petition being prepared right now.  Richard Barrow seems to have signed on to promote it.

Well soon there'll be none, I've left now, and I'm looking at the Philippines or Vietnam.. 

The only people left will be those in business, or the supper rich, ordinary people will move out

My friend be coming over for five years to see if it suits him, he's now looking to takes his money elsewhere as it's now harder to remain, why do l want to out my money in a Thai bank for five months, that's five months of interest I've lost back home 

Tourist who visit and think, wow I'll check out living here, get a shock when they see the regulations required, and Wi think now there's 999 other countries l can live in where shall l go, cos it ain't gonna be here.. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, legend49 said:

just 150,707 expats residing in Thailand,

Multiply that by 600,000 baht; average between the 2 levels of 400 k and 800 K per year in Thai banks. Not to mention what they spend daily.

And we are still treated as 3rd rate people.

A little bit lower I think. 

I fall in somewhere low down. 

Thais 

Family 

Babies 

Dogs

Cats.

\/

\/

About here.

But contribute handsomely. 

39 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Looks like the Thais are good in addition and multiplication, not subtraction and division ????

Not too sure. !!!

But they know about extraction...

I keep trying to make mine understand that I have about 15,000 less disposable income than previous due to exchange rates. 

But she has managed to get 26,000 out of me already in July, and it's not months end yet. 

Now she is in her village and her mother is on last breaths.

(Seriously... no buffaloes)

To the thai people we support it's simply,

mai bpen rai. 

Business as usual. 

Wish the government would cut us who chose to stay here and support families, some slack..

Its really tough. 

For goodness sakes it's Thailand; you actually think any statistics and numbers provided here are quantifiable and verifiable with any consistency...........come on folks get real......

Sorry but they don't have a handle on how many Farnags are living here in Thailand at any point in time..

Even with all those strict Immigration forms and reporting requirements they still have no dam idea how many Farangs live here.

Tells you a lot about the place and their inabilities to acquire accurate data points for anything!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, berrec said:

For goodness sakes it's Thailand; you actually think any statistics and numbers provided here are quantifiable and verifiable with any consistency...........come on folks get real......

Sorry but they don't have a handle on how many Farnags are living here in Thailand at any point in time..

Even with all those strict Immigration forms and reporting requirements they still have no dam idea how many Farangs live here.

Tells you a lot about the place and their inabilities to acquire accurate data points for anything!

Not accurate at all.  http://web.nso.go.th

I actually live in Thailand.  Feel free to ask if you need any other information. 

Judging by how well my wife's stem cell business has done and is doing, i would say that there are far more expats here in Thailand than people can possibly imagine. Her only clients are expats and she has gotten stupid rich selling stem cell to them. 200 patients per week on avg and they keep coming back because her particular stem cell works for all their ailments.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Just looking at a city in the lower northeast makes me believe that more foreigners are living here full time.

When I arrived here in 2002, you could hardly see foreigners here.

Now you can see them everywhere, at shopping malls, restaurants, and other places. 

Pretty hard to understand that the number of expats has declined.

But when is a foreigner considered an expat? After 5, 10, or 15 years?

For me personally, it's ten years living in Thailand. That's living 275 days a year here. Five outside in the region. Just a personal standard based on tripe I read and hear noobs say. Technically I guess it's when the ferrrang gets his first B visa doncha know.

I'd love to know the numbers for teachers yoy.

27 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

French text removed.

In the immigration regulation there is not the word '' expatriate '' but foreigner or Alien
Anyone who is not national is considered foreign (Alien)
subject to visa NON MIGRANT + Code under one of 47 reason (clause) provided by the regulations here is the list !!!!

1 (1), (2) and (3) in the case of being a family of Thai nationals (Thai husband)
2 (1), (2) and (5) Thai families (Thai children)
3 (1), (2), (3) and (6) Thai families (Thai wife)
4 (A) In the case of investment not less than 3 million baht
5 (B) In the case of investment not less than 10 million baht
6 A craftsman Or male, medical, nursing, or professional fields to transfer knowledge to Thai people
7 alienate worker
8 Bank
9 Being a consular employee or employee
10 Being a spouse or child under the care and being a household
11 Being a teacher or professor or expert in public education institutions
12 Being a teacher or teacher or an expert in private education institutions
13 Evangelize
14 Have business necessity
15 In the case of a professional athlete Or personnel related to professional sports
16 Investment Promotion Act
17 Is a family of aliens who are temporarily allowed to stay in the Kingdom to study in schools according to In accordance with Article 2.8 or 2.9
18 Is a family of aliens who are temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom
19 Is a family of residents of the Kingdom (only parents, spouses, children, adopted children or children of spouses)
20 Is a person in the diplomatic corps
21 Is a person who is a foreign government with the approval of the Thai government to perform duties
22 Is a person who performs duties According to the agreement that the Thai government has made with foreign governments
23 Is a personal servant
24 Is an actor, singer, musician, conductor As well as those responsible for performing for entertainment or entertainment, with occasional performances
25 Is an actor, singer, musician, hotel or entertainment company in Thailand Which has a paid-up capital of not less than 20 million baht
26 Medical treatment or rehabilitation Or care for patients
27 Not fully qualified, not allowed to travel in 7 days
28 Not in the rules
29 office
30 other
31 Perform duties or missions for government agencies, state enterprises, other government agencies, embassies, consulates, international organizations
32 Perform media duties
33 Prove nationality
34 Special law
35 Study Buddhism or religious practice
36 There is a need for an embassy. Or the consulate to certify and request
37 There is a need to stay engaged in investments that have been approved by the relevant ministries.
38 There is a reason to have to work in government agencies, state enterprises or other government agencies.
39 To install or repair machinery, aircraft or ships
40 To prosecute or proceed with the proceedings related to the case
41 To study in private educational institutions
42 To study in public education institutions
43 To train or research in higher education institutions or research institutes
44 To visit relatives or return to the former domicile of a person who has Thai nationality Or of a person with a father or mother being a Thai national or having Thai nationality
45 Use life ( include retirement)
46 Visiting a spouse or visiting a child with Thai nationality
47 Work in public charities Foreign private organizations, the Foundation of the Foreign Chamber of Commerce, the Thai Chamber of Commerce Or the Federation of Thai Industries

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The mystery of exactly how many expats live in Thailand

Does anyone want to know? Is there an organization, NGO or otherwise where expats can go to learn how to build capacity or critical mass for that matter without fear or reprisal from the non-democratically elected government?

15 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

If you want to work for ONG in Thaïlande you must have visa under claue here 

Work in public charities Foreign private organizations, the Foundation of the Foreign Chamber of Commerce, the Thai Chamber of Commerce Or the Federation of Thai Industries

2 minutes ago, SPREX said:

If you want to work for ONG in Thaïlande you must have visa under claue here 

Work in public charities Foreign private organizations, the Foundation of the Foreign Chamber of Commerce, the Thai Chamber of Commerce Or the Federation of Thai Industries

Not work for one but is there one such as Amnesty International, Doctors without walls or others.

1 minute ago, Jimdandy said:

Ne travaille pas pour l'un, mais existe-t-il un organisme comme Amnesty International, Médecins sans murs ou autres.

Off course Amnesty international is an official organisation approved in the kingdom 

you canot stay and work volontary for this organisation you need any time a visa 

Fascinating but I lack the motivation to drill down on the report on my phone.

I'd guestimate 27.5k people working as teachers. Between 25-30k including vocational and universities.

Funny the different salaries... people that simply MUST live upcountry - salaries are half. Any experience, decent teacher is making far more. The Filipino upcountry weigh these numbers down. Still 35-40k vs 40-55(65)k