Back you go! Thirteen foreigners with no money denied entry to Thailand

webfact

32 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

On the contrary. Not all of the millions of tourists know that ATM machines are AFTER immigration. I suspect also only a few are aware that they might have to carry 20.000 baht equiv in cash. Therefore I think it perverse that they don't put ATMs BEFORE immigration for those who have plenty of funds. 

"I think it perverse that they don't put ATMs BEFORE immigration for those who have plenty of funds". 

That would be the banks' decision, not Immigration's, 'perverse' doesn't come into it.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The overwhelming majority of these people denied for "no money" as you put it under section 12 (2) or (9) have means to support their stay. However, Immigration is denying them entry for other reasons, usually repeat visits, and then twisting the law and twisting the story to the press on this occasion to portray a different picture. 

Immigration should just state that they are arbitrarily denying passengers entry for repeat visits. It is mystifying why they publicly give one reason but inform passengers of a different reason.

My point was about insurance. Not about whether they can fund their stay.

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

It clearly states this on the Thai Embassy website

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-tourist-visa.php

That website is an unofficial, private website with no connection whatsoever to any embassy of the Kingdom of Thailand or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who oversee all of Thailand's embassies and consulates.

Just now, Chelseafan said:

My point was about insurance. Not about whether they can fund their stay.

The reason given to the press is "no insurance".

The reason stamped in the passport is "no means of supporting oneself".

The real reason stated to the denied traveller is repeat visits.

Why the subterfuge and the lies? I bet all those Chinese don't have travel insurance. Why such continual lying? What are they really up to?

34 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

And you expect us to change from our currency to Thai baht in our country

where we get stuff all we get more when we exchange in Thailand

You can get THB in your country if you really want to, try ordering it from a bank, but you don't have to, the equivalent in acceptable foreign currency is an option, regardless of Sticky Wicket's comments.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The carrying cash requirement is straight out of the dark ages. Thailand really needs to wake up.

I spent three entire months in the US and Europe armed with just three credit cards and the equivalent of 100USD in cash. At the end of the trips I still had 80USD cash left, as all my expenditure had been done with cards. That included hotels, car rentals, fuel, all meals ......

This may come as a surprise but Thailand is not the US nor is it Europe.

Credit cards are NOT widely accepted in Thailand. Ergo - you need cash.

19 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

You've missed my point.........again . Never mind

Don't flatter yourself, your points are very easy to understand, it's just that they're not always accurate, as displayed in this thread.  I think you've missed your own point.

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Too bloody right if you haven’t got the common sense to have tourist insurance go home! Dumb <deleted>!

If you don’t have funds to take complete care of yourself then don’t travel!!

to anyone on this forum who uses this story as a platform to trash Thailand and Thai law you can go back to your country of origin too.

its a good point and well articulated but i think i'll disagree with your last statement and just head to vietnam with the other 15.5 million or so tourists this year.

i'll take my family and credit cards too.

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

That website is an unofficial, private website with no connection whatsoever to any embassy of the Kingdom of Thailand or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who oversee all of Thailand's embassies and consulates.

Maybe so but that website was at the top of the search list and would have at least gotten the traveler to investigate further if in doubt.

This may come as a surprise but Thailand is not the US nor is it Europe.

Credit cards are NOT widely accepted in Thailand. Ergo - you need cash.

Do you live in Thailand? NOT widely accepted?
I don’t know of any medium sized shop that refuses CC and ATM’s every 50m...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The reason given to the press is "no insurance".

The reason stamped in the passport is "no means of supporting oneself".

The real reason stated to the denied traveller is repeat visits.

Why the subterfuge and the lies? I bet all those Chinese don't have travel insurance. Why such continual lying? What are they really up to?

The article didn't say anything about the traveller being denied about repeat visits. You are reading between the lines, perhaps correctly.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you but Thailand has always been like this. Why be direct and state the truth when it's easier to hide behind rules and regulations.

3 hours ago, webledink33 said:

EMPTY PURSES!  Tourism is a quality seeking venture now! New Que at the airport will read EXPRESS ONSITE VISA/ Have wallets and bank books open prior to approaching Immigration desk... Those deemed rich enough may pass!

Reminds me of an old joke from the Goon Show, when one of them was being interrogated and was told; "open your wallet and repeat after me...........help yourself".

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You can get THB in your country if you really want to, try ordering it from a bank, but you don't have to, the equivalent in acceptable foreign currency is an option, regardless of Sticky Wicket's comments.

Yes I know I can bring foreign currency I just mentioned about exchange rate

is terrible in Australia last time I came to Thailand about a few weeks back

I was quoted 19.01 baht per Australian dollar by the banks over here but 

managed to get 21.9 baht in Thailand

Yet again and I make no apologies for saying it Thai Immigration are deliberately making it harder and harder and degrading the experience for supposed riff raff arriving.

Quality tourists only required in Thailand as our Government foreign currency bank balance doesnt need you anymore

Expect it to get much much worse....

My question is, how did they know these people didn't have money? Did they rummage through their pockets?

This country is getting more and more unfriendly to visitors. If they think the Thai economy is bad now it's only going to get worse if they treat tourists like this.

Means of Subsistence for Schengen Visa
  • A personal bank statement indicating your financial movements (for at least 3 last months)
  • Credit card.
  • Cash.
  • Traveller's cheques.
  • Pay slips.
  • Proof of employment.
  • Supporting document to attest sponsor's readiness to cover your expenses during your stay.
  • Proof of prepaid accommodation.

3 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:
Means of Subsistence for Schengen Visa
  • A personal bank statement indicating your financial movements (for at least 3 last months)
  • Credit card.
  • Cash.
  • Traveller's cheques.
  • Pay slips.
  • Proof of employment.
  • Supporting document to attest sponsor's readiness to cover your expenses during your stay.
  • Proof of prepaid accommodation.

And they bitch and moan on how difficult Thailand is. Thailand is just tired of bums and losers as most countries are. Yet many somehow get in.

20 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

My question is, how did they know these people didn't have money? Did they rummage through their pockets?

This country is getting more and more unfriendly to visitors. If they think the Thai economy is bad now it's only going to get worse if they treat tourists like this.

Unfriendly ???? No the Thais are sick and tired of bums, losers and criminals as most countries are.

16 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

I suppose they asked them to show funds and they couldn't.

Reading the between the lines (as you have to do with Thais sometimes all the time) I think that they were refused as they were planning to work in Thailand. If that's the case then this is a non-event, having said that, I'm travelling in a few weeks and am nervous that I wont be able to show 20,000 other than bank statements. Looks like I am going to have to change money before I travel which is a pain in the backside. Rules are rules I suppose.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The carrying cash requirement is straight out of the dark ages. Thailand really needs to wake up.

I spent three entire months in the US and Europe armed with just three credit cards and the equivalent of 100USD in cash. At the end of the trips I still had 80USD cash left, as all my expenditure had been done with cards. That included hotels, car rentals, fuel, all meals ......

I'm in Sweden right now and it's hard to get rid of my cash, many places does not accept cash anymore. 

Can't even pay for parking with coins anymore. 

The ATMs are antiques and not replaced when they fail, there's one left in the town I grew up in. 

3 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Looks like I am going to have to change money before I travel which is a pain in the backside. Rules are rules I suppose.

Any currency is accepted as is travelers checks. 

40 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Yet again and I make no apologies for saying it Thai Immigration are deliberately making it harder and harder and degrading the experience for supposed riff raff arriving.

Quality tourists only required in Thailand as our Government foreign currency bank balance doesnt need you anymore

Expect it to get much much worse....

Can you blame the Thais ??? This is becoming a common sight. If you want someone to blame have a chat with this guy or the next Full Moon Party loser you see on the streets. They are easy to spot.

drunk-foreigner-attacks-3.jpg

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

They are still in the dark ages!

Archived