Back you go! Thirteen foreigners with no money denied entry to Thailand

webfact

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If we're talking about travel insurance for tourists (and I think we are) it's been mooted repeatedly for years and years.

Here's just a few examples:

Travel insurance to be compulsory (2013 story)

Travel insurance to be compulsory (2017 story)

Travel insurance to be compulsory (2019 story)

And after decades of different governments trying, Thaksin actually built an airport on a swamp :neus:

7 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

And you expect us to change from our currency to Thai baht in our country

where we get stuff all we get more when we exchange in Thailand

Sticky doesn't, but the Thai IO probably would, cause they don't give a <deleted>

6 hours ago, Badbanker said:

Sadly this Article 12 (2) and (9) has been used against people without them knowing about it on many occasions when arriving in the kingdom.  This has become the most common excuse to deny foreigners entry into Thailand.

The real reason is that the person has too many visa exempt entries into Thailand in the computer and in their passport!  

I know that in the past year on some days at land borders, 30 plus people were denied entry on visa exempt stamps and sent back.

I have gone so far at to recommend that friends who visit Thailand on a regular basis on a visa exempt stamp, actually have the requisite 20,000 baht cash and a return ticket in hand and put them on the counter with their passport when approaching the immigration officer.

Most times it works, but sometimes it doesn't!

Only 10,000 Bht required for a single person! 

The requirement to carry 20,000 baht in cash is ancient.  Most people, especially women, have never had the equivalent of $600 on their person in their lives.  If they want to abuse the tourists it would be nice if there was an ATM machine between the gates and immigration.  For westerners it is a safety issue.  We all use credit cards and ATM's for everything.  If you are carrying that much cash you are a target the minute you leave the airport.

How about coming into the 20th century at least if not the 21st century.

16 minutes ago, TonyR101 said:

Perhaps if the visitors involved had been able to present a few valid credit cards it might have helped their case. My wife recently spent a few days in hospital, and I had to pay the best part of 100,000 Baht cash for her treatment. I've no sympathy for visitors arriving without insurance or other means of paying their bills.

I spent over a half million baht (all cash) at Bhumrungrad Hospital (Bangkok) over a two year period and It's none of my business what other people do or do not do :glare: 

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

It is in fact any currency, as long as it's convertible to the requisite amount of baht but yes, it has to be cash. Cards, bank statements etc wont do it.

Travelers cheques will.....................

I think I still have mine from many years ago that were got specifically for this purpose.

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

If they were genuine tourists then, as a minimum, they would have before their departure from their home country purchased a travel insurance for the duration of their stay. Not very expensive.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The carrying cash requirement is straight out of the dark ages. Thailand really needs to wake up.

I spent three entire months in the US and Europe armed with just three credit cards and the equivalent of 100USD in cash. At the end of the trips I still had 80USD cash left, as all my expenditure had been done with cards. That included hotels, car rentals, fuel, all meals ......

Same in the UK. But cash rules here to fuel corruption and avoid taxation. Mattresses should have combination locks in Thailand!

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I knew some guy who got refused entry from NZ same thing lack of funds

it wasnt me...but with thai immigration--anything is possible...

fortunately, i have only ever had minor problems...

i do agree though...a lot of problems are caused in thailand, by expats and tourists, who have insufficient funds to support themselves..

i just leave my 800,000 thb untouched, in my bank account..

to those of you who make a big fuss about this money--

if your retired and dont have this sort of money spare--or proof of 65,000 per mth-you should not be living here... your treading on 'thin ice'...

to retire with in excess of 800,000 is surely not hard to do...

maybe less alcahol over your working life would leave you with some funds...

we have ALL  had at least 30 yrs + to plan and save for retirement---

16 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

The requirement to carry 20,000 baht in cash is ancient.  Most people, especially women, have never had the equivalent of $600 on their person in their lives.  If they want to abuse the tourists it would be nice if there was an ATM machine between the gates and immigration.  For westerners it is a safety issue.  We all use credit cards and ATM's for everything.  If you are carrying that much cash you are a target the minute you leave the airport.

Credit cards are so 20th Century. Now it's all smart pay in my neck of the woods. I think I've had the same notes in my wallet for six or seven months.

In my lifetime I can't see Thailand coming up with a solution for that so cash/money it is.

6 hours ago, userabcd said:

If they were genuine tourists then, as a minimum, they would have before their departure from their home country purchased a travel insurance for the duration of their stay. Not very expensive.

And they should have know that a tourist is required to enter the Kingdom with 20,000Baht.

6 hours ago, Xaos said:

10k is required for no visas entry and 20k for a families. Nothing new here

Each person entering the Kingdom of Thailand I required to have 20000Baht on entry. Or equivalent money.

24 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

If an ATM was sited air side I can imagine the exchange at 20bt per USD and a 1000bt withdrawal charge. That's real 21st century thinking....

1 hour ago, bander said:

Good work from immigration police, no money mean begging, stealing or selling drugs in Thailand. Maybe our immigration in Europe, Australia and US have something to learn from Thailand?

The criminals pay to bypass immigration

6 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Each person entering the Kingdom of Thailand I required to have 20000Baht on entry. Or equivalent money.

10k single person Percy. There's a million links confirming it up the thread. 20k for a family.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The carrying cash requirement is straight out of the dark ages. Thailand really needs to wake up.

I spent three entire months in the US and Europe armed with just three credit cards and the equivalent of 100USD in cash. At the end of the trips I still had 80USD cash left, as all my expenditure had been done with cards. That included hotels, car rentals, fuel, all meals ......

Knowing people have money on them could entice other people to mug them .Two people 40,000 baht. It is required that each person brings into the Kingdom 20,000 Baht.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I find it hard to believe that so many people in one day arrived without any money. As we all know the ATM machines are located AFTER immigration, and we have all heard of countless occasions when people with plenty of money have been denied before they got that far. As for being denied for no insurance, I wasn't aware that had become mandatory yet.

there is atm before imigration and there is a exchenge boot there to.

7 hours ago, Badbanker said:

Sadly this Article 12 (2) and (9) has been used against people without them knowing about it on many occasions when arriving in the kingdom.  This has become the most common excuse to deny foreigners entry into Thailand.

The real reason is that the person has too many visa exempt entries into Thailand in the computer and in their passport!  

I know that in the past year on some days at land borders, 30 plus people were denied entry on visa exempt stamps and sent back.

I have gone so far at to recommend that friends who visit Thailand on a regular basis on a visa exempt stamp, actually have the requisite 20,000 baht cash and a return ticket in hand and put them on the counter with their passport when approaching the immigration officer.

"I have gone so far..."

I have gone even further-I recommend that my friends not go at all.

That puts paid to any present/future hassles in the Land of the Daleks

7 hours ago, userabcd said:

Very expensive when your 70+

16 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Knowing people have money on them could entice other people to mug them .Two people 40,000 baht. It is required that each person brings into the Kingdom 20,000 Baht.

Percy can you read? It's TEN thousand per person you have been corrected already yet you continue to say 20,000. If you don't believe me Google is your friend.

7 hours ago, Badbanker said:

I do that now as I was pulled in for the first time ever this year. I stay 28 days 4/5 times a year, so a lot of stamps , but I always have the return flight and a first week’s accommodation voucher and my insurance and €2000 in cash. There was no problem once they spoke to me and actually didn’t ask for any of them once I explained my pattern of visiting as a retired person. They also assured me .. though I took it with a grain of salt .. that I was very welcome and would not have a problem with this routine. The one question they asked me that Amused me was had I got a Thai Wife .. I said no.. I don’t want a wife she would spend all my money and they laughed with me . Hasn’t been a problem since.  

Archived