Woman, 19, dead, two others injured as motorbike slams into parked pickup van

webfact

Woman, 19, dead, two others injured as motorbike slams into parked pickup van

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1564466735_1-org.jpg

Police at the scene early this morning. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 19-year-old woman was killed and two of her friends seriously injured when the motorbike they were riding slammed into the back of a parked pickup truck on Wiset Rd in Rawai this morning (July 30).

Lt Col Prasit Ra-ob of the Chalong Police was notified of the accident at 4:50am.

Arriving at the scene with rescue workers, officers found Wassana "Jul" Bangachak, 19, already dead.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-19-dead-two-others-injured-as-motorbike-slams-into-parked-pickup-van-72313.php#mmlmuw5wxlUw4pZ7.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-30

I do believe they had been drinking and were not paying attention. I also do notice that the pickup truck was parked in the lane next to the driving lanes, which is officially for motorbikes, but time and time again cars and motorbikes park there.

They are always parked there on the side of the road but at that point its wide enough and well lite and the road would have quiet at 5am not one of them noticed them parked there obviously not

There is usually 2 of them vans

I read that in Bangkok and surrounding provinces that 80% of motorbike riders wear helmets. The same article said that in Phuket only 20% of the people on motorbikes wear helmets. I am not sure why that is. It more than likely police just rarely ticket Thais here. And that is even more confusing since the police seem to want every baht they can from farangs. Seems like if they started enforcing it with Thais they would have a better life style since most police don’t write tickets if they can get the fine paid immediately to them. 

51 minutes ago, Gator4Life said:

I read that in Bangkok and surrounding provinces that 80% of motorbike riders wear helmets. The same article said that in Phuket only 20% of the people on motorbikes wear helmets. I am not sure why that is. It more than likely police just rarely ticket Thais here. And that is even more confusing since the police seem to want every baht they can from farangs. Seems like if they started enforcing it with Thais they would have a better life style since most police don’t write tickets if they can get the fine paid immediately to them. 

I think these days it is much higher than 20%.

If there are checks everyone without helmet is fined, Thai and foreigner. And fines are paid on the spot, with receipt.

agree on a post about not fining thais, the cops were outside their cop shop on beach road Pattaya recently, (not far to go for dinner) they were targeting tourists, (dead give away, with the hire logo stuck on the front of the scooter) i not see one Thai get stopped, and literaly hundreds were ridng by  down beach road.all with no helmets. i think tourists see that many thais not wearing helmets here, and think it is not the law, not the case, then they find out too late.

Wondering what will happen with the driver of the pickup.

If i remember correctly something similar happened a few years ago with a car parked at the side of the road but in that case it was from a farang.

He was charged with dangerous driving/parking causing a accident with 1 death as a result.

12 hours ago, Gator4Life said:

Have you read this thread which gives different figures?

For instance in Phuket 61% wear helmets. 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1114889-study-shows-fewer-than-half-of-thailand’s-motorcycle-users-wear-helmets/?utm_source=newsletter-20190731-0552&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

1 minute ago, merijn said:

Wondering what will happen with the driver of the pickup.

If i remember correctly something similar happened a few years ago with a car parked at the side of the road but in that case it was from a farang.

He was charged with dangerous driving/parking causing a accident with 1 death as a result.

A drunk bar girl killed herself in that incident. I believe his car wasn't even on the road and he refused to pay up, so spent time in goal. Held a big party at his bar when released.

I'm sure justice will move in different ways for a local.

About time m/c manufacturers put more foot rests for the extra pillion passengers . The five school kids on a bike have nowhere to rest their feet not to mention those that ride side saddle. !!! TIT.

Well lit street, back of the van is white, how the rider managed to hit that is crazy..

Why do some here say.... "van should not park there"....What if it just broke down....?

The rider had eyes, there was light, totally riders fault...

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

It's all about enforcement. A few years back, the cops in my seaside town had a big purge and for a few months everyone wore (or at least carried, just in case!) crash helmets.

When the street patrols disappeared, so did the helmets. Now, they are a rarity and nobody seems to give a monkey's, despite the appalling toll of squandered lives and maimed bodies.

When the cat's away. . . 

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

It's all about enforcement. A few years back, the cops in my seaside town had a big purge and for a few months everyone wore (or at least carried, just in case!) crash helmets.

When the street patrols disappeared, so did the helmets. Now, they are a rarity and nobody seems to give a monkey's, despite the appalling toll of squandered lives and maimed bodies.

When the cat's away. . . 

I have never understood why they carry, rather than wear, a helmet. The head is the easiest place to carry it!

I do however undsrtand why they mostly go so slowly. Without a helmet and visor, the wind and insects hurt at more than 30kph!

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

A drunk bar girl killed herself in that incident. I believe his car wasn't even on the road and he refused to pay up, so spent time in goal. Held a big party at his bar when released.

I'm sure justice will move in different ways for a local.

That guy, if I recall correctly, was warned by police multiple times about his parking habit.

10 hours ago, mercman24 said:

agree on a post about not fining thais, the cops were outside their cop shop on beach road Pattaya recently, (not far to go for dinner) they were targeting tourists, (dead give away, with the hire logo stuck on the front of the scooter) i not see one Thai get stopped, and literaly hundreds were ridng by  down beach road.all with no helmets. i think tourists see that many thais not wearing helmets here, and think it is not the law, not the case, then they find out too late.

Why confuse a Phuket thread with an opinion on police in Pattaya.

18 hours ago, Humpy said:

About time m/c manufacturers put more foot rests for the extra pillion passengers . The five school kids on a bike have nowhere to rest their feet not to mention those that ride side saddle. !!! TIT.

How about the fact motorcycles are built for two (2) that is two people not four five or even three people, if you think about it that is why there is only one set of pegs for passengers, My Buddha!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, transam said:

Well lit street, back of the van is white, how the rider managed to hit that is crazy..

Why do some here say.... "van should not park there"....What if it just broke down....?

The rider had eyes, there was light, totally riders fault...

Totally agree, if you look at van it appears the left side is raised up which would indicate he is parked half on the road and half on the shoulder plus the back of the van is white, as per international regulations and has more do not do stickers than a bar full of pretties. Maybe the rider should try and sit for her licence in a western country, see how many time she fail

Archived