Transport Minister wants to raise the speed limit to 120 kmph on all large roads

webfact

42 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

While agreeing with you, 'allowing them to go faster' is only seen as an issue if stopped by the police anyway.

Won't increasing the speed limit only have the effect of reducing the police's income, as they will only be able to extort money on vehicles travelling over 120 kph?

Agreed its just adaptation to what is already happening. Will only give the police less income nothing more nothing less. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This works well in Germany on the Autobahns, where people are law abiding, properly trained drivers with modern well maintained vehicles. In other words, the opposite of Thailand where no one gives a sh *t about laws, drive like toddlers in go-karts, and many faulty vehicles and/or big trucks/SUVs they have no idea how to drive. Increased speed will always mean increased road carnage. The new Transport Minister should try using his pea-sized brain instead of pretending to have balls. 

Well.....with 11 million outstanding traffic fines, it's easier to raise the speed limits than try and catch the non payers.

What about the mini vans.....can they also speed up?

Expect more carnage if this gets the nod!

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Cameras all over the main roads these days... Many times a 110 speed limit road, suddenly drops to 90, camera setup mounted, and then back to 110 again.. 

Does nothing for road safety and is purely a fine gathering exercise. 

Speaking I agree. Coming down from CM to BKK to CM me and the wife racked up over 5 tickets. The system of go and then slow down your pegged on radar is a money maker and stinks. as it is set up like a racket.

28 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

How about teaching Stopping distances Thai's dont have a clue especially in the rain 

Very true. with that in mind I translated the UK highway code stopping distances into Thai for my son last year.

Also one about visibility at night for different types of clothes.

They're both pdf files, hope they ul OK and may be of use. I've also attached an image the UK page in English.

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.png

StoppingDistancesHighwayCode.pdf VisibilityDistancesClothes.pdf

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Cameras all over the main roads these days... Many times a 110 speed limit road, suddenly drops to 90, camera setup mounted, and then back to 110 again.. 

Does nothing for road safety and is purely a fine gathering exercise. 

money money money....makes thailand tick all the time.....

Most Thais get their first driving experiences om motorbikes (under the legal age and without any formal training).Maybe quick erratic line changes and tailgating lends itself more to motorbike driving in congested areas ?The problem is,this driving style continues as drivers progress to cars.The abnormality has become the norm, apparently only the outside world is worried (including the world bank)A suggestion to raise the speed limit just underlines the serious problem Thai authorities has in  aknowledging this seriøs problem.

In all of my years of living in Thailand, 20+, I have never seen any politician propose introduction of a comprehensive learner's programme as is common in other countries, and make the beginner truly learn how to ride a motorbike, drive a car, etc. and learn and obey the traffic laws, which do not seem to exist or rarely taken seriously.

'nuf sed

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Maybe they are diversifying into providing medical emergency and funeral and cremation services and want to give the business a bit of a boost.

No, he just wants all the Bangkok revheads to be able to get to the family business ( ie racetrack) quicker and more often. And then replicate all the race moves on the way home.....

”did you see Somchai try to cut in front of the other car and end up off the road” ......(just like this).....

47 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Speaking I agree. Coming down from CM to BKK to CM me and the wife racked up over 5 tickets. The system of go and then slow down your pegged on radar is a money maker and stinks. as it is set up like a racket.

yeah.. Obviously Thailand has road safety issues that need addressing.. But the speed camera money makers are a false safety drive.. 

Buses and somchai in his 30 year old pickup in the overtaking lane refusing to pull over, no signalling or lane controls, tailgating and the desperate me first of everyone, is so much more an issue than absolute highway speeds. 

1 minute ago, cerox said:

Cute. What is a speed limit? Here we can do as we please anyway.

really ?? Drive the highways much in the last few years.. 

It was 5 years ago, but now theres cameras in so many places and 90 kph speeds on 5 lane highways ike rama 2.. 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well he is correct about the bad driving, but I think he is forgetting that excessive speed also plays a vital role, so suggesting that bad drivers be allowed to go even faster, is hardly the best way to bring the unbelievable carnage down.

Kills the bad ones quicker more speed!

3 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

The problem is not speed, (Germany does not have speed limit) it could be solved when they stop

putting Driver Licenses in Mama noodle soup sachets.

Germany does have speed limits on certain section on the Autobahn

it is not unlimited on every stretch

5 hours ago, webfact said:

One measure is to increase the speed limit on all four lane roads to 120 kilometer per hour. This would mean motorways and expressways, said Manager. 

does this include the margins on the side of the roads? if not this is a pointless exercise.

When I drive with my gf‘s business car I try to stick to the rules (max +10km/h). When we are on our private car.who cares ????guess I am used to the no-speed-Limit policy on german Highways. I would never drive 200+ on the shitty highways here, even if totally empty. However, 140-160 is no Problem once you Are 40-50km out of BKK. 

I read this story (The update) , all roads with 4 lanes on EACH side, that is a very big difference, then all roads with 4 lanes.

These are mainly all the roads around Bangkok, or maybe some roads around some other big cities,

I did not see them anywhere else from city to city.

So for me I don't see any changes.

Good idea minister. On the main highways, the average speed is already 120km/h anyway and that's the speed I drive at. Makes sense to me to increase it, though at the same time, most u-turn bays should be eliminated and replaced by u-turn bridges or underpasses.

Archived