Transport Minister wants to raise the speed limit to 120 kmph on all large roads

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am speechless. Is this Thai-ness? Carnage on the roads so increase the speed limits. On a 90 kph road...the speed of 30% of the drivers is 120 or more weaving in and out of traffic. If you raise the speed limit to 120 rpm people will be driving at 140 to 150 weaving in and out of traffic. What does he expect will happen? 

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I am speechless. Is this Thai-ness? Carnage on the roads so increase the speed limits. On a 90 kph road...the speed of 30% of the drivers is 120 or more weaving in and out of traffic. If you raise the speed limit to 120 rpm people will be driving at 140 to 150 weaving in and out of traffic. What does he expect will happen? 

I assume he'll make a handsome profit from the investment he surely must have in the coffin making business.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well he is correct about the bad driving, but I think he is forgetting that excessive speed also plays a vital role, so suggesting that bad drivers be allowed to go even faster, is hardly the best way to bring the unbelievable carnage down.

He probably thinks at that speed they will be going fast enough to miss each other - - - as another poster said earlier, you can't fix stupid? 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

One measure is to increase the speed limit on all four lane roads to 120 kilometer per hour. This would mean motorways and expressways, said Manager.

Fine if you close all the U-turns !

Normally it's said about traffic accidents that "speed kills" – don't we have enough of that in Thailand? – IMHO I don't think that neither infrastructure, nor traffic behavior and skills, are yet right for increased highway speed...????

A reduction in expressway, motorway and tollway fees is also being proposed to ease the economic burden on the public. This will be 5 - 10 baht.

Tollgates are some of the worst traffic jam causes. Find a better solution to finance motorways will help.

5 pages of comments all referencing only one of the guy's proposals.......

How many times do posters want to say the same thing in a different way :sad:

Raising the speed limits was proposed earlier this year by someone in the RTP (if I remember correctly) although it was a more general proposal not just on 4 lane roads. 

Well, i guess that's one way of legalizing those who break the traffic laws...can't enforce the present speed restrictions...okay increase the the speed limit and no enforcement is necessary.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The ministry will also try to increase the ratio of goods transported by railways to roads from 5 to 10 per cent to 30 per cent and this policy will be implemented within three years to reduce road congestion, Saksayam added.

SRT is short of serviceable rolling stock, and chronically short of motive power.

Increasing the amount of freight by rail by 300% in three years is going to be a challenge!

2 hours ago, topt said:

5 pages of comments all referencing only one of the guy's proposals.......

How many times do posters want to say the same thing in a different way :sad:

Raising the speed limits was proposed earlier this year by someone in the RTP (if I remember correctly) although it was a more general proposal not just on 4 lane roads. 

So, have you managed to increase the rhetoric without any real input. 

No matter what the speed limit is the moron driving whatever car, van or bus I am a passenger in always needs to be the fastest car on the road, which generally means catching up to the car ahead so he can join that car and others in some kind of dangerous high speed multi-car situation generally involving tailgating, undertaking, and sudden swerving lane changes.

He must really want to thin out the Thai population.

regards Worgeordie

Thin out more like a culling.

I've always kind of thought about this too 

Considering 8000 so far this year and rising 

One way to get rid of all the unwanted masses of Thai society without doing a shocking genocide

22 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The right man for this job,,,,,

New transport minister Saksayam Chidchob - whose family are famous for having a racetrack in Isaan

He or his family also own a football team does that mean they should be disqualified from being Minister of Sport

image.gif

3 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Its the idiots doing 70 kph on a highway with a speed of 90 or 120 that cause the accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes this is common all over Asia. It is the differing speeds of road users that causes a lot of problems. 

Archived