Minister Kalaya floats E-book idea to avoid schoolchildren having to carry heavy bags

webfact

Minister Kalaya floats E-book idea to avoid schoolchildren having to carry heavy bags

school-1822566_960_720.jpg

Deputy Education Minister Kalaya Sophonpanich says she wants to introduce E-books so school children will no longer need to carry heavy schoolbags loaded with books.

The deputy minister made the remark in response to a news report about a 14-year old school girl in the northeastern province of Khon Kaen who is suffering from scoliosis and has a bent spine, which her mother suspects was caused by carrying a heavy schoolbag since she was nine.

Khunying Kalaya said she is concerned about the girl’s case, but is not convinced that her bent spine was caused by carrying a heavy schoolbag.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/minister-kalaya-floats-e-book-idea-to-avoid-schoolchildren-having-to-carry-heavy-bags/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-07-31

All those reading this article ......... went to school. Maybe Kru Thai (Teacher in Thailand) considers giving the kids only those books home which they need for home work of THAT day. 
The rest stays at school, in a locker, provided for by the school. The lock's key is given to the students against a deposit of, say, THB 100, a copy of the same key stays with the school. 

Much cheaper than tablets and Yingluck already wanted to take Thai school into cyberspace. Never ever heard anything of that project again - after those tablets were purchased at an inflated price which went in line with poor quality and ..... tablets need to be charged, can break and cost X times more than lockers and pad locks - just saying ..........

Last not least, maybe it is time to review all these books. We are all wondering, what Thai kids do during their 12 years at public school. They dont learn foreign languages, maths is also weak, general knowledge is completely missing and in history they also draw a big blank. I, for one, always wondered, what they hammer into those kids heads, common sense is definitely not one of them either ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

All those reading this article ......... went to school. Maybe Kru Thai (Teacher in Thailand) considers giving the kids only those books home which they need for home work of THAT day. 
The rest stays at school, in a locker, provided for by the school. The lock's key is given to the students against a deposit of, say, THB 100, a copy of the same key stays with the school. 

Much cheaper than tablets and Yingluck already wanted to take Thai school into cyberspace. Never ever heard anything of that project again - after those tablets were purchased at an inflated price which went in line with poor quality and ..... tablets need to be charged, can break and cost X times more than lockers and pad locks - just saying ..........

Last not least, maybe it is time to review all these books. We are all wondering, what Thai kids do during their 12 years at public school. They dont learn foreign languages, maths is also weak, general knowledge is completely missing and in history they also draw a big blank. I, for one, always wondered, what they hammer into those kids heads, common sense is definitely not one of them either ???? 

Salient, factual and totally on point.

Also heretical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Why not just give them a locker at school and leave their books there. No way do they read all of them every night. Would make a lot more sense.

Logic hath no place in the kingdom of Thainess

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mok199 said:

Children need to know ''books'', not just screens ...

Children would benefit from 'books' and 'screens' .… they are not mutually exclusive.

Dedicated eBook readers are a lot cheaper than tablets … batteries last weeks rather than hours.

One challenge would be converting their present books into a format that is readable on an eBook and in the required language.

Exciting option is if the devices had the additional function of an 'audio book' …

If I was the Deputy Minister I'd go and have a chat with Amazon ..…  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, csmith said:

Children would benefit from 'books' and 'screens' .… they are not mutually exclusive.

Dedicated eBook readers are a lot cheaper than tablets … batteries last weeks rather than hours.

One challenge would be converting their present books into a format that is readable on an eBook and in the required language.

Exciting option is if the devices had the additional function of an 'audio book' …

Or much more likely alibaba

i had books during al levels of schooling til post grad.  all the fuss because of a child with scoliosis, which is not caused y carrying books. why not provide e-readers to such specific cases?

no need to buy ereaders for everyone, aside from the kickback reason.

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Maybe if the schools supplied lockers? Never in 17 years working here seen a school with lockers for the kids to put their stuff.

Or just a desk with a decent size (lockable) cupboard and/or drawer.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:08 PM, DLock said:

Supposedly, every child should have received a tablet a few years back...

You beat me to it.

Another failed project. Not doubt pockets got fat and that was all. Time to do it again.

Once Prayut becomes the education minister this will get the green light.

I have an even better idea! Why not scrap books, the paper as well as electronic ones, completely! That way, kids only have to turn up to class with nothing more than one of their many, many uniforms and a smart phone. They can then spend all day in class chatting, taking selfies, updating profiles and... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I, for one, always wondered, what they hammer into those kids heads, common sense is definitely not one of them either

its  all  about "looking the  part".... kid  here has a  nurse  outfit,  a  girl  guide  outfit,  and a  normal  school outfit.............they  look  good  but shes as  thick  as  a  plank, if  she  saw  a  grand  piano  fall  off  a  10th  floor condo  and  she was  looking  up underneath it  she  still  wouldnt  move  out  the  way.

Indoctrination, see how they force kids 12 months old to wai.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:12 PM, PatOngo said:

The Chinese do a cheap tablet if you buy in bulk! It's been tried and proven!

The brown envelopes worked really well, although it's pity about the useless tablets. 

20 hours ago, csmith said:

Chat with Amazon, do they also have brown paper bags in their list of goodies?