Thai road safety: Yet more motorcyclists strangled by hanging wires

webfact

Thai road safety: Yet more motorcyclists strangled by hanging wires
4pm2.jpg
Thai caption: Cable yanked his neck

Thai media has reported on several more cases of people on motorcycles being strangled by wires hanging over Thai roads. 

The latest cases did not result in death but were a warning to others and a wake up call for the authorities to act, said 77kaoded. 

In Chonburi a motorcycle taxi rider called Muangmon Jansri, 48, suffered road rash and neck injuries.

He said that a cable got wrapped three times round his neck throwing him to the tarmac. This was confirmed to reporters by a restaurant owner at the scene. 

Screenshot_10-9.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

Pictures revealed damage to his body, clothes and bike. 

Meanwhile in Samut Prakan a 15 year old student on his way home from school was lucky to escape serious injury when another cable got tangled round his neck. 

สายเคเบิล-2.jpg

Chanin "Petch" Ampha was riding pillion on the back of his aunt's motorcycle in the Tha Chalom district. 

He suffered strangulation marks to his neck but was not otherwise seriously hurt. 

สายเคเบิล-C-1280x720.jpg

Thaivisa notes that hanging wires represent a considerable hazard in Thailand especially to motorcyclists and pedestrians. 

There have been many cases of death and injury of people on motorcycles as well as electrocution of pedestrians. 

A multi million baht project has been underway in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and other Thai cities to bury the cables. 

But the vast majority remain a hazard to the public and an eyesore that blights Thailand. 

Several years ago Microsoft founder Bill Gates shamed the Thais with holiday snaps of the wires prompting action. 

But much more needs to be done to solve the problem than simply beautifying the capital and tourists areas of the kingdom. 

Sources: 77kaoded | 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-02
  • Sad 1

We had a cable for God knows what hanging outside our front gate a while ago.

As I have no idea who it belongs to I got a boy to put it up in the trees where it can do no harm to any humans that don't try and break into my property.

They could possibly get a shock if they did, or maybe a free true programme...who knows?????

9 minutes ago, marcusb said:

Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and other Thai cities to bury the cables. 

Thats not the problem, its the shoddy workmanship.  Many cities have overhead wires, but the job is done properly.

Yes same Japan city but I do not care is not the Japan rules.

34 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

We had a cable for God knows what hanging outside our front gate a while ago.

As I have no idea who it belongs to I got a boy to put it up in the trees where it can do no harm to any humans that don't try and break into my property.

They could possibly get a shock if they did, or maybe a free true programme...who knows?????

Or the tree catch fire 

Thai road management, road furniture, design, safety, law enforcement, awareness, respwct for others, law abiding individuals which includes those idiot foreigners riding around without wearing a helmet, vehicle safety, stray animals, egos, impatient idiots with that 'look at me' attitude, plus much more, all need addressing, not forgetting taxi, tuk tuk, bus, coach, lorry, 10 baht so called death trap make shift pickup buses, pickup ambulances, school pickup death trap buses used to transport students, the majority of road users including the police with attitude that set very bad examples to others!

In a nut shell, the whole shooting match!

Thank goodness for strict law enforcement plus health and safety in other civilized countries unlike care free I do what I want and like Thailand.

Life is precious and veey important!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that a cable got wrapped three times round his neck throwing him to the tarmac. This was confirmed to reporters by a restaurant owner at the scene. 

Lucky he had a soft landing !

image.png.8d11acfd98bd1f215d181bdbe04f9bba.png

• Haha 1

This story illustrates how Thailand;'s appalling road casualties are not solved by simplistic attacks alleging Thai people are just bad drivers.

The reality is that the DRIVING ENVIRONMENT on Thai roads is just not up to standard. Accidents in countries with developed road systems still happen but dnt result in the injuries and deaths that occur in Thailand - until the nation looks at the way they construct monitor and design the road systems they will never reduce the tragic road safety figures that so blight the nation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

This story illustrates how Thailand;'s appalling road casualties are not solved by simplistic attacks alleging Thai people are just bad drivers.

The reality is that the DRIVING ENVIRONMENT on Thai roads is just not up to standard. Accidents in countries with developed road systems still happen but dnt result in the injuries and deaths that occur in Thailand - until the nation looks at the way they construct monitor and design the road systems they will never reduce the tragic road safety figures that so blight the nation.

Don't see the connection here with road design and the problem associated with this accident, it had absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with road design. 

• Like 2