Trading-in bikes

recom273

I have 2 bikes, a second hand Versys 650 and a CBR150 - My biggest regret is holding on to them, the Versys is now a virtually worthless high mileage bike with bells and whistles, and no one even wanted to pay a sensible price for the (bought new and immaculate) CBR because it was last years stickers. 

I bought my wife a new Wave 110i auto start / Mag wheels which we paid around 45K for less than a year ago.

Does anyone have opinions, should I look to chop it in every year or two?

4 hours ago, johng said:

How much where/are you asking for the Versys and CBR ?   both should be saleable at the right price.

Honda wave should last for years and years if you change the oil regularly and keep it covered from the sun..after 20 years sell it to a local for a few thousand baht..and buy a new one.

The valves on the Versys need changing now, it’s served me well, multiple trips to Laos (2000Km each way) up to Chinese border and untold trips to Malaysia, it’s well used and at current rate worth 50K - I shall probably replace the valves and run it into the ground.

The CBR i tried to sell after 18 months on baht sold and locally. I wasn’t too fussed either way, so I wasn’t giving it away which I think, people expected, it was like a couple of K above the Thai price, it was immaculate.

I know waves will run forever, I just wanted to collect opinions on the optimum time to chop-it in.

• Like 1

If you look at the used prices of scooters like the Click , they are being offered for about 20K  at 4/5 years old , maybe sold for slightly less. So you loose 6K per year. No major expense ( belts , tires , clutches ) for 4/5 years , so that just leaves 4 or 5 oil changes , 1 spark plug , 2 air filters and a valve check. After 5 years more "expensive" items may require replacement , so replace bike then.

• Thanks 1

When looking at a new Honda Wave, I was offered 1500 Baht trade in on my old one. It's 9 years old, 25000km, good condition. Ridiculous, decided to just keep it and ride it until the wheels fall off.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

When looking at a new Honda Wave, I was offered 1500 Baht trade in on my old one. It's 9 years old, 25000km, good condition. Ridiculous, decided to just keep it and ride it until the wheels fall off.

I don’t think that’s so bad .. 

We have always bought bikes for the missus for 15-25K, she had an operation and needed an autostart so we picked one up a new one the way home from hospital.

I want to get her into a routine of selling things before they depreciate too much.

When I made this post were were going to immigration on her bike, it seemed sluggish and dangerous on the busy road, I did the maths and wondered if she could lose 12K-15K on that bike that would be ok and she could trade up to a top range 125.

The sales guy said they did trade ins but another guy would buy for us, (over the phone unseen) he offered us around 20K on a year old bike.

Yeah, OK 55% depreciation in a year .. lol .. 

Its back to the situation, the dealership doesn’t want to sell bikes for cash with a trade-in, there is no money to be made on cash purchases, it’s all about the finance plan. 

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I don't see how chopping it in every couple of years will save you money.

Let's say a Honda Wave at 50k (Approximately, I don't know exactly what they cost). Best case scenario you'll lose about 15K if you trade in every couple of years. So after 10 years you've lost 75k (15k x 5 trade ins). You could have just kept the bike 10 years, give it away to a friend and you'd still be 25k up.

Trading in bikes costs money so why do it more often than you need to? Especially on something like a Honda Wave which doesn't change much year on year.

Because in this case, I wanted to buy her a 125, over a 110.

I'm with @JonnyF on this one, the depreciation curve is always becoming shallower. So the best time to change your bike is as long as possible from the purchase date. Add to that, 2nd hand values are high in Thailand. Never ask for a trade in price as this is the worst place to sell your bike. The best place is kaidee. All the dealers use this and there is a lot of competition. Bahtsold might be better for the Versys as it is more English language oriented and the Versys will appeal to expats more than smaller bikes.

It is hard to see what the OP is after. The older the bike, the higher the mileage, the lower the selling price. Basically, keep your bikes as long as you can if you are concerned about the overall cost. 

Oh yeah, and also keep a table of running costs, maintenance, repairs, etc. This is where you really see how much a bike costs you. The purchase less sale price only account for a fraction of the total cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Oh OK, because you said "I want to get her into a routine of selling things before they depreciate too much".

From a financial point of view that doesn't really make sense. The depreciation curve starts to flatten off after a couple of years but as soon as it starts to flatten off you want to trade it on a new bike and hop straight back onto a steep depreciation curve. 

Yes, there is that too .. if I can encourage her to save a bit, I would rather make up the balance and she has a shiny new bike every few years than starting from scratch.

This is why I really prefer to buy 2nd hand bikes even if you wait and get 8 to 12 month old 2nd hand bike it will have a few extras on it to which again saves you buying them.

the only bike I have bought new was my first crf when they first came out in 2012. The Thai bike market was a little different then hardly any bikes about.

you would be surprised versys probably worth more than 50 k should be 80 to 100k.

my versys on 55k dropped a valve into the cylinder at about 80km/r in may.....Kawasaki fixed it for 3600 bht (only charged for service)new cylinder head ,piston basically whole new top half engine.????????????

anyway recom273 how you doing long time no see,,,,,might be down your way in a few weeks will send what’s app message if I’m down there.

Edited by taninthai