just been turned down for my married extension

40 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

I have wrote and expand evertthing what Pathum Thani immigration said to us yesterday when my married extension was rejected. I'm not holding back any information I'm being 100% truthful,  I'm just looking for some kind of guidelines what behind my refusal.

Someone mentioned he may have been fishing for a bribe, did you get that impression? Did you make an attempt? IMO it's what you already mentioned, the deal about the dates/short time period. I think he doesn't want some shady shit to wipe off on him. That should be worrying to some.

19 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

So you’re trying to get an extension based on marriage to a visa based on retirement?

sounds flakey.

I have done that, albeit in same amphoe.

Visa is not based on retirement.

The retirement extension, now marriage extension, is based on the visa.

For what its worth I switched from retirement extn originally issued in Nongkai to marriage extension in KhonKaen No problem. about eight or nine years ago

However simplest solution must be to start again

Sorry you experience this hassle

Its sad because I believe the majority of us on marriage extensions are a positive generators of income to Thailand

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Someone mentioned he may have been fishing for a bribe, did you get that impression? Did you make an attempt? IMO it's what you already mentioned, the deal about the dates/short time period. I think he doesn't want some shady shit to wipe off on him. That should be worrying to some.

Yes we asked if there was any way around this issue ie under the table payment. Immigration fear because the final prosses will have to done by Bangkok imm office. Pathum Thani immigration didn't want to take any risk.

9 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

Yes we asked if there was any way around this issue ie under the table payment. Immigration fear because the final prosses will have to done by Bangkok imm office. Pathum Thani immigration didn't want to take any risk.

That tells me what I was thinking may be correct, that immigration  may be feeling the tweaking of the seasoning times isn't working and other actions are going to be required. That announcement of 'money laundering' training last week could be tied to it, though it's too early to tell. Whatever is coming it's enough to spook this guy into turning down  money.

Edited by from the home of CC

8 hours ago, smedly said:

I'm done with this petty nonsense - I am surprised at you, your posts are usually informed and accurate and not this baiting trolling nonsense 

Thank you, but I don't think you actually understand the issue the OP is encountering all because a different IO issued his Non O and extension through an agent.

Perhaps your experience was different, but I have first hand knowledge of exactly the same thing happening with others, all because the Non O and extension were issued 2/3 days apart, which is not the normal procedure. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Look on the bright side - it'll be a day out !

Exactly - perhaps best to not fight it, go for a look around somewhere that suits you and come back

3 minutes ago, dayo202 said:

spot on mate, that what the IO told my wife. I have 5 days between  Non O and my extension.

That what red flag the IO as a fraud Non O by the jomtien  office. reason for my extension being rejected 

I can understand why they're refusing to be associated with your current extension, not that I agree with their reasoning, which is petty. Although your current extension may have been issued unorthodoxly, it is still legitimate. 

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

The Non O allows a 90 day stay, even with already seasoned funds and an IO that allows applications 45 days early, their would still at the least be a period of 45 days between the Non O and extension being issued...

When a foreigner meets all requirements for the desired extension, including the seasoning period, if any, for the financial requirement on the day of his application for the non-immigrant visa, the immigration official has the authority to to issue the visa and the extension on the same date. I remember seeing at least one post reporting that this was done with a non-O visa but I can't find it at the moment.

If an immigration official at one immigration office suspects that a non-immigrant visa and extension of stay was issued inappropriately, eg involving a bribe, at another immigration office, does he have the right to to refuse a subsequent extension of stay for this reason? I don't think so, because no person shall be punished for the wrongdoing of another person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

When a foreigner meets all requirements for the desired extension, including the seasoning period, if any, for the financial requirement on the day of his application for the non-immigrant visa, the immigration official has the authority to to issue the visa and the extension on the same date. I remember seeing at least one post reporting that this was done with a non-O visa but I can't find it at the moment.

Your omitting the fact that you need at least 15 days permission of stay remaining in order to apply for the Non O, as it can only be approved by a senior officer at regional level, not the regular IO we encounter at the service desks. Your correct that the senior IO can waive the standard requirements, but that never happens without an agents involvement and use of his contacts, and an appropriate fee.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

If an immigration official at one immigration office suspects that a non-immigrant visa and extension of stay was issued inappropriately, eg involving a bribe, at another immigration office, does he have the right to to refuse a subsequent extension of stay for this reason? I don't think so, because no person shall be punished for the wrongdoing of another person.

As I stated previously, the issue of the Non O and subsequent extension may be unorthodox, but it is still legitimate and the OP's IO are overreacting.

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The Non O allows a 90 day stay, even with already seasoned funds and an IO that allows applications 45 days early, their would still at the least be a period of 45 days between the Non O and extension being issued. 

You still do not understand I see. A person who came in on a Visa Exempt has a ticket to fly home within 30 days. Perhaps he chooses to make that flight and is unable to return within the 90 days, but getting the extension ASAP allows him more time. 

Is that not possible without an agent?

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You still do not understand I see. A person who came in on a Visa Exempt has a ticket to fly home within 30 days. Perhaps he chooses to make that flight and is unable to return within the 90 days, but getting the extension ASAP allows him more time. 

Is that not possible without an agent?

Not possible following the standard conversion process.

• Like 1

Personally I don't think it's got anything to do with the use of an agent. I experienced the same thing about five years ago when I moved from Khon Kean to Pathumthani. At the time I was on an extension of stay based on retirement and my renewal was coming up and wanted to change to marriage.

The IO said they would not accept a change of reason for my extension. They told me if I really wanted to change I should exit and get a new Non Immigrant O Visa based on having a Thai spouse at one of the surrounding consulates.

Their reasoning at the time was that this was the correct Visa and the consulate has already performed various checks relating to issuing this visa. This would then make the process simpler when changing to an extension in the future. Needless to say I never bothered and have since had 4 extensions based off retirement from the office without any problems and extremely fast and efficient.

To my knowledge, Pathumthani are not generally known for taking bribes relating to visas/extensions etc but that's not to say it does not happen. I do know, like most offices they often have a different set of rules or requests for extra documents when doing extensions from year to year but I have come to accept it.

Whilst we all know this is not correct and they should accept the applications at the end of the day we just have to live with their decisions because there is nothing we can really do that will change their minds once its set. It always falls back to the "Discretion of the Immigration Officer"

I know its a headache and perhaps added expenses but what I have learnt after ten years is you just need to play the game and do the dance if you want to be in Thailand. Smile and enjoy a holiday to one of the surrounding Countries.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ozfatboy said:

The IO said they would not accept a change of reason for my extension. They told me if I really wanted to change I should exit and get a new Non Immigrant O Visa based on having a Thai spouse at one of the surrounding consulates.

And this is the underlying reason for the OP’s problem. 

Visas are issued for a specific reason to visit; and that visit can be extended for the reason the visa was issued for. Fortunately most offices do not enforce the rules that strictly, but those that do are within their right to do so.

Edited by elviajero

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Not possible following the standard conversion process.

They want 15/21 days purely to give time to process the application prior to the current stay expiring. But there is no reason/rule why an extension cannot be issued immediately the visa is issued if the applicant has already met the requirements for an extension. The only reason the visa is issued is to qualify for an extension of stay.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, elviajero said:

And this is the underlying reason for the OP’s problem. 

Visas are issued for a specific reason to visit; and that visit can be extended for the reason the visa was issued for. Fortunately most offices do not enforce the rules that strictly, but those that do are within their right to do so.

My wife did say to the IO if the married extension was a problem. That I have enough fund's in a Thai bank accounts over 800k. Would IO do me extension based on retirement.. The IO say refused, the only way around this issue is to cancel my O imm by leaving Thailand and get a fresh new O imm based on marriage.

Edited by dayo202

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

But there is no reason/rule why an extension cannot be issued immediately the visa is issued if the applicant has already met the requirements for an extension.

You are right. As a matter of fact that was what they did in the good old days. In 2011 I got 15 months: 3 months from the new non-o and 12 months from the extension. I arrived March 6 2011 with 30-day visa exempt and on March 29 2011 went to Joimtein with an embassy letter to apply for non-o and the extension, approved at the same time.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Thanks 1