Is TOT blocking International Servers

kellio

Because I delve into Forex Trading, I need to install certain tools on my MT4 platform to be able to successfully.
These tools are called Indicators which include Expert Advisers (EA's)
The EA's I have recently installed need to communicate with with servers located in the USA.
However, this is not happening and every indication is that the servers used by my Internet Service Provider (TOT) are blocking the servers I need to communicate with in the USA.
Support for the company providing these EA's have also researched this and have come to the same conclusion.
While they are working on a solution to this issue, I've contacted a friend using the same EA's but using 3BB as his ISP, is not experiencing the same issues and can use the EA's without any problems.
So, I'm wondering if anyone else trading Forex has been experiencing similar issues or indeed, if someone can offer a solution.
Note: I have paid for a 12 month subscription to TOT and they are the only ISP using fiber optic in the building my condo is situated in Pattaya. 

I have used TOT Fibre for several years and I'm not aware of any blocking other than the government mandated censorship that all ISP's must implement.

As Crossy suggests, a VPN connection will get around any blocks. You could also try tethering to your phone on a 4G connection to see if that makes a difference.

If you know the address of the servers in question, try tracert example.com in a command prompt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Are you getting any error message, or is the other end just not loading?

You should be able to VPN past any block, I don't trade but I do use Ivacy as my VPN provider, fast and reasonably priced.

It may be worth subscribing to one of the many free (and slow) VPNs as a test, I wouldn't trust a free service with any trading activities mind.

No error messages.
The EA is supposed to provide a popup alert but while the popup box does appear, the only thing shown is the date and time.
It's supposed to provide details.
Here's a couple of screen shots of how it looks and how it's supposed to look.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I have had problems also with TOT , slow speed of below 2mbps when trying to connect with Chicago. Most US connections seem really bad. Europe isn't much better at around <4mbps.

I can get higher switching to True sim ! than fixed on TOT

I connected to TOT only last month because I needed the speed of Fiber Optic but the maximum speed I've ever had has been around 55 Mbps download and around 75 Mbps upload.
It's currently running at around 12 Mbps download and I've contacted them about it.
The same thing happened the first week it was connected and it took them 2 full weeks to fix it.
Since I've been connected for less than a month, it means I've had decent speeds for less than half of that time
The image was saved this morning around 5 am.

Aug 5.png

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

I have used TOT Fibre for several years and I'm not aware of any blocking other than the government mandated censorship that all ISP's must implement.

As Crossy suggests, a VPN connection will get around any blocks. You could also try tethering to your phone on a 4G connection to see if that makes a difference.

If you know the address of the servers in question, try tracert example.com in a command prompt.

Thanks but I have no idea of the servers involved. 
However, one would think that if TOT was blocking servers at the government's directive, they would  ensure the same servers would be blocked on opposition ISP's as TOT is the government sanctioned ISP.
But, as mentioned previously, my friend is using 3BB and has not experienced the same issues.

Those speeds I see are for Bangkok server ? Be interesting to see that display with a USA server ?

Significantly better after the weekend for me to Chicago, 35 down 23 up ! 10 times better than the weekend, may be heavier usage on weekend dragging it down.

Been with TOT for 2 years  now, no real problems at all.  They have been doing a bit of upgrade work in my District for the past few weeks and it tends to go off for half a day some weekends, but apart from that irritation, the service is good, down load speeds are fine and I run Netflix and other movies without any issues. I use VPN when I need to and again, speeds are good. It's all as good, if not better than I had in the UK and it's a good deal cheaper, so no complaints so far. 

Edited by Pilotman

48 minutes ago, kellio said:

I connected to TOT only last month because I needed the speed of Fiber Optic but the maximum speed I've ever had has been around 55 Mbps download and around 75 Mbps upload.
It's currently running at around 12 Mbps download and I've contacted them about it.
The same thing happened the first week it was connected and it took them 2 full weeks to fix it.
Since I've been connected for less than a month, it means I've had decent speeds for less than half of that time
The image was saved this morning around 5 am.

Aug 5.png

There is definitely something wrong here so you're right, you need to get that fixed. My package is 500 down and consistently delivers that (to local servers, of course).

18 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

If you are trading FOREX using EA's, signal services etc. then your MT4 needs to be open 24/7.

You may want to consider using a VPS.

29 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

If you are trading FOREX using EA's, signal services etc. then your MT4 needs to be open 24/7.

You may want to consider using a VPS.

Thanks for your input but I beg to differ.
If you are in a trade, your trade will continue to run through your broker whether your local MT4 is open or not.
If you've set you Take Profit (T/P and you Stop Loss (S/L) accordingly, your trade will close automatically when either of those levels are hit regardless of whether your MT4 is running or indeed if you're even on the Internet.
In addition, since I'm a scalper and only trade the hourly (H1) time frame (T/F) with confluences, I'm usually in and out of a trade within a few hours anyway and if it does continue overnight, I'm still covered by my T/P or S/L.
On the odd occasion I do trade the longer time frames, (say the daily) I would only enter on a pull back leaving the next bar a full day to open and close looking for confluences which would indicate a continuation of the previous direction.
In which case, I'd only be offline and away from my PC for  maximum of around 12 hours and if it goes against me, I can always close the trade on my smart phone. .

why on earth would you pay a years subscription with TOT in advance?

they do not require this.

live and learn mate.

I used TOT, mainly no problem, but sometimes they put the squeeze on.

they did not require one year up front from me.

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

live and learn mate.

I never said they required a year's subscription. I said I paid a year's subscription.
I was offered a special deal if I did that and since I live in Pattaya and have no intention of living anywhere else for a year, why on earth wouldn't I pay for a year particularly since it's a year minimum contract anyway?

Edited by kellio

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

live and learn mate.

can save money by paying in advance

15 hours ago, nickmondo said:

live and learn mate.

I never said they required 1 year's paid subscription.
I said I paid for 1 year's subscription.
I was offered a special deal if I paid for 1 year upfront and since the minimum contract is for 1 year and I don't intend living anywhere else for the next year, why wouldn't I pay for a one year subscription?
Live and learn mate!

Maybe you have tried this but I have found most people leave one internet setting as - "Obtain DNS Server address automatically"

Not sure how good TOT's DNS servers are but I would guess by default most of TOT's customers are going through them. 

So why not try an international DNS server. Googles IP addresses 8.8.8.8 used to be the best option but recently Cloudflare's DNS is the one to use.

In internet protocol settings select "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter these values.
Preferred DNS server: 1.1.1.1
Alternate DNS server: 1.0.0.1

I've used TOT Fibre at my rental house for two years. Very good speed. I always use a VPN, actually built into my Asus router so all wifi traffic is protected. I have NEVER encountered a blocked site I couldn't get to simply by changing the country the server is in, which takes 10 seconds.

But even in the USA I have used a VPN (ExpressVPN) for many years. I would never consider connecting to the web 'naked ' any more.

No, I don't represent that company or get a kickback.

I did extensive research years ago and pay $110/year. That covers everything connected to my router, including my phone when I use the home WIFI. When I take my phone away from the house I activate the VPN on my phone.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people post about problems that would vanish if the just got a VPN.

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Now TAT (Telecommunications Authority of Thailand)

TAT is for Tourism   CAT  ( communications Authority of Thailand )  and ToT have international gateways which can block acces to whatever they like/are ordered to.

Here in Serene Lake Hang Dong I had TOT (Take Our Time) Fibre for four or more years and was never satisfied. Their speed went from not so good to abysmal. We complained on a regular basis and then it worked for a day or so then back to subnormal. Finally threw them out and went to 3BB and never looked back. I also use a very good paid  VPN and rarely ever have trouble viewing overseas TV or doing financial business.