Children drowning: Thailand still worst in ASEAN and twice world average

webfact

Makes sense. Application of logic - FAIL.

A guy I know sells world-class brakes; used in the top levels of 2 and four-wheel sports globally. He pressed the technical manager at the national Honda motocross team to try his pads and rotors. The response was just as logical: "Your brakes are too good, our riders will end up going too slowly."

That muppet is the chief engineering manager for a team that competes internationally. Admittedly they don't come close to the front outside of Thailand, but...

3 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

I have heard that some Thai people don't want their kids to learn to swim, because they will become comfortable near water and will drown more easily! :ermm:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

More needs to be done to bring the figures down much lower.

Would it be dificult or expensive to learn them to swim? I don't think so.

On the other hand, many of them will perish on the roads even if they've learned how to swim... 

Edited by Vacuum

2 hours ago, bowerboy said:

mind you though many of those offshore guys do exactly the same thing when they come back off leave (and they are working in an industry where safety is absolutely drilled into you all day and everyday).

I'd bet they wouldn't do it back where they came from, but so many seem to lower their standards to that of the locals when they spend any amount of time here. Something I always try to guard against myself.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bust said:

So whaddaya reckon!! 

Teach ‘em to drive or teach ‘em to swim?

Which would save more lives? ????

I would say teach them to ride their 1000cc Big Bike when they reach 13.

4 hours ago, bowerboy said:

We have a nice pool in our village (gated village, moo ban or whatever you would call it).

I regularly see 4 and 5 year old children swimming in the pool completely unsupervised...and I don’t mean Mum at the pool but head buried in iPhone. I mean parents at home while 4 and 5 year olds “swimming” in the pool. None of them can even swim...they jump in and can just barely make it back to the side without drowning.

And these are 1. Middle class Thai families and 2. Kids of guys who work offshore and whose wives take care of the kids while they are away.

If it is that bad in that socioeconomic group then god help the lower socio ecomonmic group.

Totally unforgivaeable by the Leuk Kreung families in my view.

I have seen even supervised by both parents but they were non stop on phone browsing or just passing time like many do in BTS od MRT

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jschorr said:

Dear Masuk, thank you for mentioning the CM International Rotary Club Children's Water Safety and Drowning Prevention Program.  We are still going strong, now every child who graduates from one of the 11 municipal (tessabon) elementary schools in Chiang Mai will have had the opportunity to complete our survival swimming classes. About 90% successfully complete the course we have taught over 1200 kids in Chiang Mai in the past 4 years and over 2,000 nationwide including programs in Phrao, Patong Beach, Phetchabun, Lampang, and at the BanYa Migrant Learning Centre in Phuket. Anyone interested in learning more about what we do, please personal message me.  Long-term plan is to get the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Education to work together to build a mandatory elementary school program. 

Great effort, well done. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fred white said:

Parents don't watch their kids. We have a lot of ditches they dig to plant trees around they are deep and have steep banks I have seen our 2 year old great grandson out by himself around these ditches his grandfather was supposed to be watching him but he was more interested in the TV. My wife says to spank the kid I would rather take a ball bat to the granddad

Well don't waste any effort smacking him in the head, nothing there to register anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand is worst for most things!!!

Children die for lack of education plus investment and law enforcement.

This is Thailand!

Too busy taking photos,  extoring money, pointing fingers, eating and shouting at each other!

Children are dieing and they seem to careless. Face and ego trips seem more important than life and children.

Disgusting.

And they call this Paradise!

7 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

Thailand is worst for most things!!!

Children die for lack of education plus investment and the law upheld!

This is Thailand!

Disgusting.

And this they call Paradise!

Who calls it paradise? Only those they never entered LOS

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Who calls it paradise? Only those they never entered LOS

Some stunners are similar to paradise. They even look and talk to you.

But of course, sex is only a tiny part of it.    

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Haha 1

qualified water safety and swimming instructor, leaving the country soon here.

(no chance of employment in that sector, but obviously seriously under staffed) 

saddens me to read this every year. 

I seriously doubt they have halved the numbers.

But who would believe any number that's put out here.

It's rubbish that there is not enough money, this place is as wealthy as many western countries.

1 hour ago, kaorop said:

It's rubbish that there is not enough money, this place is as wealthy as many western countries.

Not enough money for important things because nobody cares - starting from the top.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kaorop said:

The "Anuban" where our son attended decided to built a swimming pool, even when many parents were opposed to that idea, one of them was my wife.

Then two years ago a little child drowned, of course was nobody responsible for the kid's death.

The face losing community is somehow sick. Why is it so hard to say no?

Even when you see that a Thai is seriously sick and you ask him/her "Sabai dee mai, khrap?", the answer is always "Sabai dee, khrap, or kha.