Cockroaches in toilet roll !!

Golden Triangle

Okay, I know that this sounds bizarre but.........

We have not had a Cockroach in the house for months now, when we first moved in 5 years ago we didn't realise that there was a problem, but with due diligence and ample supplies of Chaindrite spray we have finally got the problem sorted, at one point we had over a dozen living in the wooden architrave around the door between the bedroom and the en-suite. But that is sorted now.

Working alongside the landlord we managed to slowly but surely deprive them of their habitat and have been Cockroach free for a long long time.

The Mrs went shopping last week to stock up on stuff we need and on the list was loo roll, we usually buy the large packs of 28 or more and store them in the bathroom for ease of access.

The pack was there for a few days unopened, and when the last lot had been used I opened the new one, during the night I had to get up for a wee as one does and bugger me a Cockroach was roaming around, it was duly sprayed and flushed down the loo, but the Mrs gets up awful early everyday and found another one, that was also sprayed and gotten rid of. In all I think we found Four, there have been no more for the last 3 or 4 days.

Now, there is no way that they can come up the drains as we have fine conical mesh filters on the drains, the overflow holes on all sinks has been covered with electrical tape to stop them that way & all sink plugs have been adjusted to make it impossible for a full grown bug to emerge that way, there are no holes in any of the tiles or where the ceiling meets the walls, the windows are shut and locked as are the fly screens, and I don't think it's possible for them to make into the bathroom via the light fittings otherwise we would have them in every room and we don't.

So, my question is, is it possible that they were in the multipack of bog roll ? I have seen Cockroaches shopping at that well known store down Pattaya Klang before now, ????  Has anyone else experienced this ? I would like to know.

Sorry that this is so long winded, I wanted to paint a verbal picture so that the reader can understand the problem LOL  ????

Picture of bathroom drain covers is below.

drain.jpg

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

to make it impossible for a full grown bug to emerge that way

Yes, but I have seen very young and very small cockroaches come in through the thinest of openings. Then they will just hang out and grow up. I suppose it is also possible they came with the package of toilet paper purchased. Long shot, but possible.

• Like 1

Here in Pattaya we’ve been almost free. If it’s half a dozen in 10 years I’d be surprised.

when we lived in Batam, Indonesia though it was an almost daily battle to keep them at zero. We’d get rid of them and after a week or so away we’d be back to square one.

Difficult to know how they get in though. Hope you eradicate them quickly. Just out of interest do you have the outside of the house bug sprayed ? We find that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind replies people, ???? I only really wondered if what I thought was actually feasible, and it seems it is, to me cockroaches are the devil's spawn and I treat them as such ???? the next time we buy some I will unpack them outside and repack in non infested bags ???? I really cannot stress just how much I hate these things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Here in Pattaya we’ve been almost free. If it’s half a dozen in 10 years I’d be surprised.

when we lived in Batam, Indonesia though it was an almost daily battle to keep them at zero. We’d get rid of them and after a week or so away we’d be back to square one.

Difficult to know how they get in though. Hope you eradicate them quickly. Just out of interest do you have the outside of the house bug sprayed ? We find that helps.

They used to breed under the patio, it hadn't been finished properly,  but it has now,  maybe I will try the spraying avenue, thanks.

Edited by Golden Triangle

The’ store rooms in shops are usually overrun with cockroaches, they get into the cartons of beer, tins etc. So anything in packaging or cartons from shops, supermarkets can have cockroaches in them. I usually open anything new on’ my terrace just in case. 

• Like 2

Cardboard is probably the culprit. When I was vitalling for ocean passages we removed all packaging and washed all fruit and veg in Milton to ensure not even an insect egg came aboard. 

Having said that, I somehow managed to bring a live rat into my 7th floor condo a few years back. It hid in a plastic case of soda water. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Are you talking about " peter " the big ones?  You be surprised?  Check you shower drain screen is the metal cap there this cuts the light out so they don't head towards the light. If you metal screen is loose they are strong enough to pop the screen up.

I use to think the same how these guys getting in my place is spotless, I was sitting on the toilet one day and I actually saw one pop up the screen and get in.  I remove the metal cap under so the water would drain faster after that stop the problem then one day the sink I have one of those pop up fixture brushing my teeth and I see one scrawl through the small gap so after use I push down. Problem solved but they live in the drains pop open you shitter cap and flash some light in and you will see millions I mean millions!

38 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

OP, do you have windows and doors anywhere else in your place, I'm assuming that the bathroom isn't your only room?  You know that they can fly?

Yes I know that they can fly, I caught out with that about 6 years ago, now I have screens and even UV light killer lamps about the place.

I realise that some members might find this to be a trivial subject but TBH I don't, I hate the things with a passion, so people have posted that the bar stewards can live on cardboard and tissue, perhaps even laying eggs in packs of bog roll, to me that is not funny and I thank all of you for your contribution, it is close to 24 hrs since I posted this and prior to that at least 3 days since any live critters have been seen. I keep my fingers crossed that we have seen the back of the gits for a while and I will be sorting my shopping prior to storing next time. Thanks everyone.

The bum gun's much better than bog roll anyway. Although I have to say that the occasional soft and sticky turd can leave stubborn poo particles which the gun refuses to shift, so I usually keep some bog roll just in case that happens.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

When we lived in Bangkok , naturally with all the sewers and drains everywhere , you will get a cockroach or two no matter how vigilant.

We moved to the countryside 3 years ago and since then have not seen a single roach anywhere !! Not in the house or anywhere else. Plenty of jing joks but no roaches.

thank you so much for calling them jing joks and not geckos !      ( yes, i know there are geckos as well, for those who will bring that up).    But the little ones that crap everywhere are jing joks

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Visit Thailand and not worry about toilet paper - use a bum gun like the rest of us who live here.

I do live here and I do use the aforementioned Bum Gun, However one needs to dab ones bits dry after use as does my Mrs, don't assume anything until you know the facts sunshine, something you are prone to do - along with bragging of course :cheesy:

I too hate those critters with a vengeance !!
My waste water goes out at various places ( bathrooms, kitchen ) and then goes out the garden into the storm drain. There are 4 concrete covers on my property, I eliminated one.
The concrete covers are ill fitting and broken.
About a year ago we got roaches coming out of the drain, I sprayed some chaindrite down the drain but they just come up the next one, probably killed about 40 one day.
Tiled outside and i fit some new steel drain covers with some plastic mesh glued underneath, problem solved !!

Until i hear next door neighbour spraying and stamping to kill the roaches !!
Many came over the wall into our garden, so now both of us are stamping our feet [emoji849]

I bought some of those large mothballs and put them down the drain, seems to keep them away, maybe the op can try some in the bathroom ??

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

The bum gun's much better than bog roll anyway. Although I have to say that the occasional soft and sticky turd can leave stubborn poo particles which the gun refuses to shift, so I usually keep some bog roll just in case that happens.

You need one of these ...

image.png.950a72dcc7baf2da18a58611e3c190ed.png

A proper 'bum gun'.

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Haha 2

These little devils will find a way in its there life its how they live, living on the outskirts of KK we initially had a few in the shower rooms, i fitted a couple of S bends which solved that problem and the odd one appears now and then, a quick spray and thats him/her sorted.