Student praised for garbage-sorting robot after international award

webfact

Student praised for garbage-sorting robot after international award

By The Nation

800_1d924e022c2dd48.jpg?v=1564998165

The Association of Thai Innovation and Invention Promotion on Monday congratulated Pathom 6 student Thanakorn Jan-aran of Bangkok’s Wat Pichaiyat School on his garbage-sorting robot that bagged the third-place award at the International Youth Robot Competition 2019 held in Daejeon, South Korea, from August 1 to 4.

Welcoming Thanakorn, his fellow Thai youth representatives and accompanying teachers at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, association president Phanawatnan Kaimart granted Thanakorno membership in the association, which would be valid throughout his youth. 

He praised Thanakorn’s award-winning robot as a useful invention to tackle increasing garbage – an issue that "affects people and the environment". He also noted that this award on an international stage showed the world how talented Thai youths are, and called for a variety of robots "to help work by human to become more effective and precise". 

Concerning the issue of garbage, he said people should be aware and participate in sorting garbage before disposal so recycleable items could be reused and various types of waste could be easily managed and properly disposed.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374258

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-06

9 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Now if only the humans could get the plastic issue sorted..Kudos young man

I know it sounds like I'm pouring cold water on his invention, but as we haven't seen/read any details of it, giving him kudos does seem rather premature, don't you think?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, inactiveposter said:

I visited the website - https://www.iyrc.org/

It’s a game competition, rather than a scientific effort, a good entry into robotics but not a real world solution at this time. However, congratulations on placing well in the competition.

Thanks for posting the info.

As you say, it's more a game than anything else.

This is the 'recycling' video clip:

Edited by bluesofa

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

But I don't see any robot in that press photo.

What's a robot?

He dressed up his granny in tin foil and threatened to club her if she didn't play along. He even added an electric extension to make her look the part and it actually zaps her if she disobeys him.???? 

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm pleased you posted this. I too was thinking exactly the same thing about  the lack of details and (unusually) a  missing photo of the equipment - whatever it may be.

looked at iyrc.info about the competition on the 2nd and 3rd of August, and did not find anything but this link:

that is related to this story.

Kindly note the hands obviously using a remote control on the left of the screen during the first 20 seconds.
not a robot, but nevertheless for a young kid a nice effort.

Edited by KKr
  • Like 1

My receptionist and housekeeper collect and seperate all things, paper, cardboard, bottles (both pastic and glass) then store them then sell everything once a month to the local bicyclepeddling man who has a regular route around my place.  Little goes out to the city garbage collectors because they are trying to help a very poor person and want to make a difference.

No sense inventing a robot as that has been done.  Also, his comment about showing the world how inventive Thai youths are - based on one "invention" (or is it an innovation - something we may never know due to the lack of evidence to support the claim) - when there are so many who do nothing.

'nuf sed.

Edited by wotsdermatter
added more
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KKr said:

looked at iyrc.info about the competition on the 2nd and 3rd of August, and did not find anything but this link:

that is related to this story.

Kindly note the hands obviously using a remote control on the left of the screen during the first 20 seconds.
not a robot, but nevertheless for a young kid a nice effort.

It's an excellent example of misrepresentation, "over claiming" and lies.

Which seems very much in line with the ethos of the society into which this child is being inducted.

Not the kids fault obviously.

image.png.4c652a28a47ddd81b1ce431fe936f921.png

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Youlike said:
10 hours ago, simon43 said:

I'm happy to stand corrected if I can be shown a photo and details of this robot.

I would like to see that robot at work, untill that video is published i don't believe it at all!

The video has been published more than one post above. It's not a real product, it's a game competition using small model robots.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

He also noted that this award on an international stage showed the world how talented Thai youths are, and called for a variety of robots "to help work by human to become more effective and precise"

Quite right too .. Thai Robonurse's are here already .. Soon Thailand will be a leader in this sort of field .. 

IMG_20190806_101801.jpg

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

What's a robot?

Ages ago I was dating a girl from South Africa. She told me a robot just changed to green when the traffic light changed. Must be some Stepford Wives thing going on down there.