Another Brexit thread, have a look anyway.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

A better analogy would be the dealer saying

You're buying this car for $39 billion, even though you don't want it, and I'm not letting you leave the showroom until you've paid.

Or to put it accurately - you AGREED to pay in 39 billion - why would you agree to pay 39 billion for something you don't want? I'm not letting you leave the showroom as this is what you ordered !

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Well put but to add a little extra tragedy - the people of the UK didn't vote for him - he seized his chance on the back of 0.13% of the population voting for him through their Tory membership!

So 99.87% of the UK electorate had to sit back and watch a clueless moron waft into No 10 and take the reins of the 5th largest economy in the world. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

He has no mandate whatsoever to continue the carnage. Having said that brexiteers would vote for Tin Tin if he promised Brexit. 

"A clueless moron, now where have I heard that before? ????????????

• Sad 1

I don't see the benefit of another election or referendum, with the British so entrenched in opposite views.

That goes for the people, the government, the opposition, the MP's.

The result would be in te range of 45-55 or 55-45.... with whatever result there would be almost half the population against it.

Cameron and May should never have played electoral games.

Unfortunately, real statesmen/women are hard to find, and building bridges is too much hard work.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Well put but to add a little extra tragedy - the people of the UK didn't vote for him - he seized his chance on the back of 0.13% of the population voting for him through their Tory membership!

So 99.87% of the UK electorate had to sit back and watch a clueless moron waft into No 10 and take the reins of the 5th largest economy in the world. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

He has no mandate whatsoever to continue the carnage. Having said that brexiteers would vote for Tin Tin if he promised Brexit. 

Talking of clueless morons, you are also clearly unfamiliar with the democratic process operating within UK parliamentary parties.

Your numbers are meaningless and pointless.......political parties choose their leaders, not the electorate.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Talking of clueless morons, you are also clearly unfamiliar with the democratic process operating within UK parliamentary parties.

Your numbers are meaningless and pointless.......political parties choose their leaders, not the electorate.

Of course political parties can choose their leaders, according to their own rules.

But how common is it that a newly chosen party leader automatically becomes PM?

Sounds very USSR to me.

Edited by oldhippy
2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I just don't see the EU giving any quarter, they may well have the upper hand here, but other views are saying that without the UK then the EU is stuffed, I personally do not subscribe to that view, will the loss of 39 Billion GBP make a difference to the EU, I honestly do not know, maybe some of you slightly more politically astute members can fill us in, using a neutral standpoint of course.

I would rather not see the mods close this thread because of extreme views or bickering members but rather gather views from those that will be affected, me included.

Maybe not the replies you were looking for then? Pity ????

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dode57k said:

Maybe not the replies you were looking for then? Pity ????

I don't have a problem with the replies so far, therefore I don't understand your comment.

I wasn't looking for any particular type of comment, just that the conversation be kept civil with valid responses, unfortunately as far as I can tell yours doesn't fit that criteria, why would you say such a thing ? do you have an agenda ? Tell you what dode whatever unless you have something other than trolling in mind keep quiet please.

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

"subscribe to that view, will the loss of 39 Billion GBP make a difference to the EU"

AFAIK these billions are not lost, as they never existed in the first place. These seems to be just contractual money as per the EU laws to be paid on exit.  Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

The 9 billion pounds hole in the EU budget is very small in comparison to the budgets of the EU states. If it is not there,  probably the net recipient countries will get less money, and that's all.

Here is a list of the government budgets, the German budget alone is around 2 trillion USD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_government_budget

5 hours ago, jimballard said:

I have not been in GB for 10 years but might have to go back soon. from what I am reading and hearing the country is tearing self apart and is busted. when I left I had never heard the word Brexit and nobody I knew was talking about leaving the EU. It seems now that people are not labour or tory they are leave or remain. Some of the stuff I read in the online daily mail is just crazy. WW2 stuff. Seems its going to take a long time to repair.

An old scottish guy I know in Ubon gets wild and angry about Brexit and hates the EU and muslims. I asked him when was the last time he was in GB, 20 years ago he says!!

You hit the nail on the head - in approx. 20 years the vast majority of misguided uninformed old people that voted for Brexit will be dead and the newer generations can set about repairing the damage.

Its just a shame that the wrinklies didn't care about the people coming up behind them, presumably none of them have grandkids, and whose lives they will be damaging. 

When they do start to expire expect to see the levels of hatred, xenophobia and bitterness start to fall - its an old person trait.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jimballard said:

I have not been in GB for 10 years but might have to go back soon. from what I am reading and hearing the country is tearing self apart and is busted. when I left I had never heard the word Brexit and nobody I knew was talking about leaving the EU. It seems now that people are not labour or tory they are leave or remain. Some of the stuff I read in the online daily mail is just crazy. WW2 stuff. Seems its going to take a long time to repair.

An old scottish guy I know in Ubon gets wild and angry about Brexit and hates the EU and muslims. I asked him when was the last time he was in GB, 20 years ago he says!!

How things can change in a very short time eh?

Just 4 years ago there was no such word as "Brexit" 6 months ago there was nothing called "The Brexit Party" and Boris Johnson was just the Mayor of London who everyone thought was a harmless buffoon!!

If only the clock could be turned back and everyone could vote on what they know NOW

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Handsome Gardener said:

You hit the nail on the head - in approx. 20 years the vast majority of misguided uninformed old people that voted for Brexit will be dead and the newer generations can set about repairing the damage.

Its just a shame that the wrinklies didn't care about the people coming up behind them, presumably none of them have grandkids, and whose lives they will be damaging. 

When they do start to expire expect to see the levels of hatred, xenophobia and bitterness start to fall - its an old person trait.

Judging by the responses on Brexit topics you appear to have got that back to front, it seems to be a remainer trait.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Plenty more middle aged people getting ready to replace the old folk that expire.

And they'll be even more bitter because they won't have pensions.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Plenty more middle aged people getting ready to replace the old folk that expire.

And they'll be even more bitter because they won't have pensions.

You have quoted the wrong poster, I didn't say that britman.

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't have a problem with the replies so far, therefore I don't understand your comment.

I wasn't looking for any particular type of comment, just that the conversation be kept civil with valid responses, unfortunately as far as I can tell yours doesn't fit that criteria, why would you say such a thing ? do you have an agenda ? Tell you what dode whatever unless you have something other than trolling in mind keep quiet please.

Wow, that made me laugh. One of the strangest answers to a comment I've read in ages. Your opening post asked for serious/valid replies and what you seem to have is a load of people arguing. I'm on your side, at least I thought I was until I read your answer. I think you and I have totally misjudged each other.

Just one thing though I won't be told to keep quiet by anyone. IF I break the rules somehow then admins can step in. Suggest you put me on ignore if you don't like what I say. Have you read my two previous post on this thread? Is that not what you're looking for?

5 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

How things can change in a very short time eh?

Just 4 years ago there was no such word as "Brexit" 6 months ago there was nothing called "The Brexit Party" and Boris Johnson was just the Mayor of London who everyone thought was a harmless buffoon!!

If only the clock could be turned back and everyone could vote on what they know NOW

If just turn clock 90 day ahead I think all go quicker …..I wonder if Bojo then still has a P.M. job ….? 

2 hours ago, dode57k said:

Wow, that made me laugh. One of the strangest answers to a comment I've read in ages. Your opening post asked for serious/valid replies and what you seem to have is a load of people arguing. I'm on your side, at least I thought I was until I read your answer. I think you and I have totally misjudged each other.

Just one thing though I won't be told to keep quiet by anyone. IF I break the rules somehow then admins can step in. Suggest you put me on ignore if you don't like what I say. Have you read my two previous post on this thread? Is that not what you're looking for?

It would seem that I'm guilty as charged, I have read every reply in this thread, what I sometimes don't do is to check who posted what, when I read your comment I took it as a baiting post suggesting I had an ulterior motive or hidden agenda, not so, so I apologise unreservedly. Okay. ????

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The EU is talking to the UK since years. They negotiated a deal.

But now Boris tells the EU: You have to drop the backstop (which both agreed to), otherwise we don't talk to you anymore.

The EU insists on the backstop because it wants to keep the peace. The EU is also happy to remove the backstop if it is not necessary because the UK stays in the custom union.

Which part is so difficult to understand for Boris? If he wants a deal then he should go to Brussel and present his sensible deal. I am sure the EU would be delighted to listen to a sensible deal from Boris. Because it would be the first time that Boris even tries to talk to them without mocking them the next day in some UK tabloid.

"The EU insists on the backstop because it wants to keep the peace."

Ok, so tell me this. If we have no deal by 31st October and the UK leaves the EU, what will happen on the Irish border on 1st November

If you tell me nothing will change, then why do the EU insist on a backstop anyway? 

If you tell me the EU / Ireland will work out a solution to prevent a hard border, then why have they not made this solution public? 

I'm curious as to why nobody is asking the EU what they're going to do about the border on 1st November if there is no deal. 

I just don't see the EU giving any quarter, they may well have the upper hand here, but other views are saying that without the UK then the EU is stuffed, I personally do not subscribe to that view, will the loss of 39 Billion GBP make a difference to the EU, I honestly do not know, maybe some of you slightly more politically astute members can fill us in, using a neutral standpoint of course.

I would rather not see the mods close this thread because of extreme views or bickering members but rather gather views from those that will be affected, me included.
Its not just the 39 billion,its the fact that once we leave Germany and France will have to prop up the rest with their countrys money, for years and years ,and without our money .39 billion is just the start of their problems

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

"The EU insists on the backstop because it wants to keep the peace."

Ok, so tell me this. If we have no deal by 31st October and the UK leaves the EU, what will happen on the Irish border on 1st November

If you tell me nothing will change, then why do the EU insist on a backstop anyway? 

If you tell me the EU / Ireland will work out a solution to prevent a hard border, then why have they not made this solution public? 

I'm curious as to why nobody is asking the EU what they're going to do about the border on 1st November if there is no deal. 

QUOTE:

ANSWER: the EU will treat that border just the same as it treats all it's borders with not members.

Or is the UK once again - now from outside the EU - going to expect preferential treatment?

• Like 1