Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

The fumes from the traffic is bad enough , motorbikes and cars and buses spewing out blue plumes of smoke  and then you have the burning and months of bad quality air .

I prefer the colder cleaner UK air , rather than the warmer dirty Thai air

Didn't you live in Chiang Mai?

On 10/2/2019 at 1:55 PM, FredGallaher said:

Where do you come up with such bull? That's not what I eat, I'm much more discrete.  OMG stating a Big Mac is better for you than Pad Thai, is insanity. Just tell they no salt (or MSG) and/or sugar. Delicious!

Actually Fred, I don’t think he is that far off the mark.

• Like 2
On 10/1/2019 at 8:10 PM, silver sea said:
On 8/10/2019 at 1:57 AM,  sanemax said: 

Confectionery is expensive , mars bars , twix , can of coke , crisps , a pound each .

Best value for money is a packet of Penguin biscuits for £1.00 at Tesco’s. Occasionally, for a short time, they are priced @£1.47, but most times at Tesco’s, it’s £1.00 per pack.

https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/record/f647d45c-d76a-4e82-97d1-3ff58e4039d0

In the advert, it’s only a pack of 6, but these days you get 8 in a pack. Unbelievable!

What’s more, they’re the still same size after nearly 50 years as in that 1976 advert. And recipe is the same too! Can you believe that?!  ... unlike Mars and Yorkie bars, which have really shrunk in size over the same period. They’re girlie, nibble bars now; nothing man size about them when you want ‘some scoff’.

I buy up loads of Penguin packs, as they fit flat in my suitcase. When I return to Thailand, I hand them out to places I frequent a lot e.g. small Thai restaurants and coffee shops. Thais absolutely love them. Definitely, ‘Aroi maak maak’ with them.

8 Penguin chocolate bars are 90 P in Tesco and a Pound in ASDA .

I bought a double 400 gram pack of Custard creams for a 50 P , 18 Baht yesterday

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-forecast-britain-braced-20464767

I don't mind paying the inflated price here, and staying warm, and able to get out and about ! 

Those seem to be regular red top headlines  , it always seems to be the hottest/coldest/wettest weather ever coming next week and it never comes  .

Its easier to get out and about in 15 degrees in the UK , than it is in 40 degrees in Thailand 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

2 months ago, I moved to live in Luang Prabang in north Laos.  One benefit is that the temperature is cooler and much more pleasant. The middle of the day is hot, but early mornings and evenings are cool, almost long-sleeved shirt weather.  I'm liking it!

Come back and tell us what it is like in January...????

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Thought so. 

You would go on a trip to the Desert and co plain about there being too much sand. 

Well, I would state that there was a lot of sand there , but it would be a comment about the locality , rather  than a complaint .

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

8 Penguin chocolate bars are 90 P in Tesco and a Pound in ASDA .

I bought a double 400 gram pack of Custard creams for a 50 P , 18 Baht yesterday

Yes but your complaint was about chocolatey things being expensive like mars bars and twix. Remember? I know it was 40 pages ago ???? but you said:

On 8/10/2019 at 1:57 AM,  sanemax said: 

Confectionery is expensive , mars bars , twix , can of coke , crisps , a pound each .

That’s why I recommended Penguin biscuits and you put some pucks in your suitcase, your Thai friends will thank you for them.

“When you p-p-p pick up a Penguin,

There’s so much more to enjoy,

it’s bigger, so chocolately, with chocolate filling too.

When you’re feeling p-p-peckish,

What’s bigger and best for you?

p-p-p-p pick up a Penguin.”

No brainier, really Max ????????

Anyway, I like custard creams too. As you have splashed out on them instead, you should also get a whole load of Bourbon biscuits and mash ‘em up all together as in this YouTube vid:

It could turn out to be the highlight of your return to the UK.

Edited by silver sea
12 hours ago, silver sea said:

Yes but your complaint was about chocolatey things being expensive like mars bars and twin. Remember? I know it was 40 pages ago ???? but you said:

On 8/10/2019 at 1:57 AM,  sanemax said: 

That is from small newsagents though  , much cheaper if you buy from supermarkets and in bulk, i.e., more than one piece . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Yet many people who claim to know nothing about prostitution have strong opinions about the subject.

You misunderstood and didnt follow the discussion .

A poster asked me whether  UK prostitutes accept payment by card and I replied "I have no idea about prostitution" (whether they accept payment by card or not) .

34 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Soda means soda water in English. 

You know, that's funny because I had a long layover in Heathrow, took the train out for a meal, didn't know where I was at. Anyway find a pub, order a meal...….and I order a "soda"  yep, gave me soda water.

35 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You misunderstood and didnt follow the discussion .

A poster asked me whether  UK prostitutes accept payment by card and I replied "I have no idea about prostitution" (whether they accept payment by card or not) .

During the Vietnam conflict at times US and other soldiers able to drink / eat / shop in some safe villages, some prostitutes accepted Military Payment Coupons (MPC) issued by US army. 

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

During the Vietnam conflict at times US and other soldiers able to drink / eat / shop in some safe villages, some prostitutes accepted Military Payment Coupons (MPC) issued by US army. 

Thanks for the info, but I would prefer if that kind of thing wasnt discussed in this thread

• Thanks 1