Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

12 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I was in Brixton two nights ago. Travelled there from my home in Pimlico. Good pizza restaurant there. Franco Manca. Met a senior official from the Department for International Development whilst I was eating. Interesting.

Was in Peckham yesterday, as they don't have an ALDI near where I live. So I have to travel if I want to visit one for any reason. Though I do have four Waitrose, a Sainsbury's superstore and an M&S nearby.

Peckham is a bustling area with lots of students. A mix of long term residents of all hues, new people moving in.  Was in the Bellenden Road area with friends just the other day. Have you been there? 

Perhaps your problem is that you act like an outsider and therefore are an outsider. Afraid of anything that looks different.

I am not afraid. This is my London. Best city in the world. Get out there. I'm in a different part of London almost every day.

I love South London. Amazing architecture. Lots of character. Beautiful green spaces.

Wherever I go, no matter which area, I greet people with a "good morning" if I'm out bright and early, training. 

I don't see life in the way that you do. 

If I see anyone not respecting my city, they get an earful. Throw rubbish on the ground and I'll be asking them why they are doing so.

See an argument, I'll try to diffuse it before it goes too far.

I can go through areas that are predominantly Portuguese or South Asian or......so what? I can get some authentic foodstuffs.

Life is what you make it. You can sit around slagging off everything around you or you can make the best of your days.

So you won't see me slagging off the British women like many do, in describing their own in a derogatory fashion. Nor will I slag off my country, as many do did in proclaiming Thailand as the best thing since sliced bread. Many are now eating their words.

I just try to love everything I do, where ever I am. 

So no, I don't subscribe to your categorising people because of the shade of their skin. 

I've tried both Brixton and Peckham and probably any area you care to describe.

I have friends who grew up there and have visited often. I travail most areas throughout West and South London and some areas of North London. Haven't spent that much time in East London, other than areas near the river.

What's your plan? To ask all immigrants to leave? Perhaps we can go back and ask the Danes to not invade.

Some people just need someone to blame for their miserable lives. London is great.

I worked off Bellenden Rd for four years and have lived near there all my life so far. 

You 'embrace' multiculturalism, I do not. Let's just leave it at that.

Edited by yogi100
56 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I worked off Bellenden Rd for four years and have lived near there all my life so far. 

If you've lived there for most of your life, then you would know that is has been multi-cultural around there for tens of years. Minimum of forty years, since one of my friends was born on the Chadwick Road there.

So it's strange that you state having lived near there, since it has been 'multi-cultural' for as long as I remember.

So how old are you that you appear to have a concern about it now being 'multi-cultural'?

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

Another thing  about your statement which confuses.... If you are against 'multi-culturalism, does that mean that you are against Westerners being allowed to migrate to Thailand and God forbid, enter into any form of sexual congress with the women from a different culture?

Do you mean that you are ok with multi-culturalism, as long as it benefits you?

That explanation somehow fits with the narrative of the tables being turned. That perhaps you don't believe in multiculturalism, but you are happy enough to be blind to it when you are exploiting the situation.

Not so happy when the tables are turned and you feel like the exploited. Now you are complaining about how you are being priced out of Thailand and made to feel unwelcome.

The irony....

Please, clarify.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, JamJar said:

15,000 stabbings??!! I defy you to me the evidence. I'll accept any kind of statistic. Exactly the kind of person that I described earlier. Reading without understanding.

No doubt you are equating 'knife crime' with stabbings.

I actually visit all of those areas and more, even when dark(best time to do training when there is not much traffic polluting the air) and haven't witnessed any "township violence". Nor even any threatening behaviour.

You comments are beneath contempt. Your friend too sounds like a 'winner'. Birds of a feather and all that.

Lying and manipulating Stats are a way of life to the Far RIght. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some people want or have to move. 

Fair enough. 

However a lot seems to be like an acquaintance of me. 

Due to financial circumstances he is obliged to move regularly to cheaper places. 

Well it is what it is,

but every time he is claiming, that his new, cheaper place, is much better than the one he had to leave. 

I, and his other contacts, all know that this is a way to convinced himself that he is still doing well, and hope that we, the others, are also persuade of it. 

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, bartender100 said:

The Brexit side of me hates the gangs of Albanians, Romanians, Syrian etc "refugees political asylum seekers" dumped on my town that will be supported for years without giving anything back, their needs for handouts and housing seems to go before our own homeless, pensioners, mental health and ex service men and women, and most will never work

Of course Brexit won't prevent that, if they can make it to our shores they will still seek asylum and we probably won't be able to send them back to mainland Europe as our current ability to do so will probaly go out of the window, it looks like we may no longer be even check them against Eurodac.
I suspect most of us knew this was a possibility when we voted, but some people were prepared to risk it.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, JamJar said:

15,000 stabbings??!! I defy you to me the evidence. I'll accept any kind of statistic. Exactly the kind of person that I described earlier. Reading without understanding.

No doubt you are equating 'knife crime' with stabbings.

I actually visit all of those areas and more, even when dark(best time to do training when there is not much traffic polluting the air) and haven't witnessed any "township violence". Nor even any threatening behaviour.

You comments are beneath contempt. Your friend too sounds like a 'winner'. Birds of a feather and all that.

Sorry my mistake it wasn't nearly 15,000 stabbing's it was nearly 15,000 incidents of knife crime, so that obviously makes it ok then ????

London recorded the highest rate of 169 offences involving a knife per 100,000 population in 2018/19.

BBC analysis has revealed that London has 16 of the top 25 knife crime hot spots in England and Wales.

The data from 34 of the 43 police forces include crimes of assault, robbery, sexual offences, the threat to kill, attempted murder, or murder committed with a blade. The report comes as the capital looks set to see the murder rate surpass that of last year, which was already a decade-high level.Analysis in May by the London Assembly’s Conservatives claimed since Labour’s Sadiq Khan became mayor in 2016, the city has seen knife crime rise by 52 per cent. 

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, JamJar said:

When your 'friend' next needs to visit a hospital, I suggest she avoids all foreigners, even the doctors and nurses that would treat her.

She can wait for an 'English' doctor or an 'English' nurse. Not 'British' mind you. As no doubt if it weren't for the 'foreigners', you'd be having a go at the Scots and the Welsh and the Irish.

To be fair, at that particular hospital i'm sure the ratio of English patients to English doctors is a lot less than Foreign patients to Foreign doctors so perhaps your idea could be a winner for English people ????.

8 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Sorry my mistake it wasn't nearly 15,000 stabbing's it was nearly 15,000 incidents of knife crime, so that obviously makes it ok then ????

London recorded the highest rate of 169 offences involving a knife per 100,000 population in 2018/19.

BBC analysis has revealed that London has 16 of the top 25 knife crime hot spots in England and Wales.

The data from 34 of the 43 police forces include crimes of assault, robbery, sexual offences, the threat to kill, attempted murder, or murder committed with a blade. The report comes as the capital looks set to see the murder rate surpass that of last year, which was already a decade-high level.Analysis in May by the London Assembly’s Conservatives claimed since Labour’s Sadiq Khan became mayor in 2016, the city has seen knife crime rise by 52 per cent. 

Are you and the 'Conservatives' hoping to blame knife crime on Sadiq Khan??

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the rise in these violent incidents was "unacceptably high", and they were "a national problem that required national solutions from the government"

I hear kids of different hue, shouting that they will cut someone during an argument. Adults too.

What do you suggest should be done? 

Weren't knives used in the murder of Stephen Lawrence?

Shall we blame the Conservative government, since they have been in power over these periods? 

The BNP has been trying to cover up their spots, unsuccessfully, for many years now.

But they expose their real selves so easily. 

• Thanks 1
On 10/9/2019 at 3:28 AM, alfieconn said:

London killings map

Over 100 stabbing deaths in London this year .

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:02 AM, alfieconn said:

To be fair, at that particular hospital i'm sure the ratio of English patients to English doctors is a lot less than Foreign patients to Foreign doctors so perhaps your idea could be a winner for English people ????.

You are sure, got any proof of that statement?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, ta158 said:

For a city with nearly 9 million, that is not high.

It may not be high compared to other places (although it probably is) , but there are murders every day or two on the streets and it makes you quite cautious when walking about  , trying to avoid anyone who looks they they carry knifes with them

• Like 2
On 10/9/2019 at 6:09 PM, sanemax said:

Something needs to be done about knife crime in the UK .

Need to put Politics and race aside .

Shouldnt be trying to score political points out of it .

Must be a terrible existence for the youngsters growing up in London , there are local wars going on all over London with numerous fatalities and injuries , something should be done to stop it

interesting …..  years ago, say mid 60's 70's even 80's  you never really heard of street violence or gang related stabbings.   I believe it was because most youth were raised to respect society, the police and older folk in general,  and your parents would go ballistic if you got into any serious trouble.  

As a youth, I knew what was right and what was wrong …….   

so please tell me why the youth of today are not intelligent enough to understand this equation … 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sanemax said:

6 degrees here now , raining everyday this month .

Cold water comes out the taps and a hot coffee stays hot for five minutes

Today I will be painting the car port ceiling in my boxers......????......Thankfully there is a slight breeze coming off the lake to make things more comfortable...????

• Like 1

I had a mate that came home <deleted> one night (in U.K.) and decided to paint the ceiling with his underpants on his head
[emoji1787]

Today I will be painting the car port ceiling in my boxers......[emoji4]......Thankfully there is a slight breeze coming off the lake to make things more comfortable...[emoji3060]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1
interesting …..  years ago, say mid 60's 70's even 80's  you never really heard of street violence or gang related stabbings.   I believe it was because most youth were raised to respect society, the police and older folk in general,  and your parents would go ballistic if you got into any serious trouble.  
As a youth, I knew what was right and what was wrong …….   
so please tell me why the youth of today are not intelligent enough to understand this equation … 

Kids used to work.

In the US kids are taught the cops are the bad guys.