Free visa will woo Chinese/Indians as Yuan fall creates more tourism woes

rooster59

8 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Another friend of ours has just cancelled his 3 weeks here ,due to the baht strength ,and my daughter has just said that if it stays so high against the pound ,they wont come next year .

i wonder how many others are not going to come?

Same here wife and Myself giving Thailand a miss for the first time in 14 years.

The Baht strength is not only affecting holiday makers, its affecting Thai people who work over seas too,  The Money they send home is not enough for some family's,  Also Thai ladys who have bought homes, cars and the rest for their family doing the Thai thing of supporting there immediate family.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

India and China population is like 2.5 billions combined, the local thinking and reasoning are that no matter how the currencies fluctuates, and with such huge markets, there will always be enough of them to to come visit and they're not wrong... 

yes they come in a group, chaperoned around in a group, taken  to wherever by the guides, Dont use Bars or street food sellers,  and from what i see a lot of Indian men like gungerwallers.

An inflammatory post and a reply has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

But geriatrics on TV told me that Thailand hates foreigners and doesn't want them to come here? So why are more being encouraged to come by the very same government that apparently doesn't like foreigners?

With the TM30 debacle aren't some hotels and apartments now putting up signs stating: "no foreigners"? Where will all these Chinese and Indians stay?

4 minutes ago, drbeach said:

But geriatrics on TV told me that Thailand hates foreigners and doesn't want them to come here? So why are more being encouraged to come by the very same government that apparently doesn't like foreigners?

With the TM30 debacle aren't some hotels and apartments now putting up signs stating: "no foreigners"? Where will all these Chinese and Indians stay?

I think you're confusing the TM30 requirements for tourists, compared to people that live and work here. 

That's indeed sad news. So many Thai students are currently studying Chinese without being able to speak it that they could at least try their Niehau Maa. 

And Bangladeshis come into this country without a visa anyways. There's a waterfall in Prachuap Khiri Khan province where you can easily get into Myanmar without anybody checking you.

23 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think there is a lot more things that could be sorted here that the tourist would appreciate I see with my own eyes the other day a taxi dropped of a Chinese family on the main road in Rawai with their luggage still 1km from where they wanted to be they asked me for help

Perhaps the driver was worried about what might happen if they remained in his taxi too long:

• Haha 1

voa was free for chinese so no money gain here .

I do think visa exempt will help a little as is nice have simple entry stamp for 14 days over hassle of doing voa .

Main lack of tourism volume bigger issue though and comes down to what thailand got to offer and what the ever expanding competition got on offer . Reality is Thailand is loosing it's appeal and doing so at rapid pace .

On 8/10/2019 at 4:21 PM, Mavideol said:

this morning long waiting line of Chinese people in front of 7-11, as a curious person usual do and I did, went in to see what was happening, maybe give away freebee's or something like that, much to my surprise all waiting for their noddles to be warmed up

That's almost totally believable, really, honestly. Except:

The Chinese don't come any more do they? What were they doing queuing for 'noddles' if they were ransacking the buffet breakfast? The Chinese never form a queue do they?

You forgot to shoehorn in one of them having a crap on your foot.

Photo? Thought not.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, bert bloggs said:

Another friend of ours has just cancelled his 3 weeks here ,due to the baht strength ,and my daughter has just said that if it stays so high against the pound ,they wont come next year .

Same with my Australian friends they are going to Bali insread,cheers

The Thai government is really out of touch with reality.

Do you mean a meagre waiver of visa fee is going to attract tourists when most of the expenditure is on food, hotel accommodation, transport and souvenirs?

The real culprit is the strong Thai baht. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 5:58 PM, marquis22 said:

Similar, a friend and family or 4 asked about the Au:Baht rate and how is the smoke smog in Lampang as he wanted to visit me in December. I answered his questions and he then said: " Ok #@&^%, cya next time you return to Aus" !

Love Aussie! Spending my holiday money there every year now instead of Thailand; no smog, no ripp-offs, friendly people, great tours and nature...

1 hour ago, Hans007 said:

Chinese people will go else were...and they allready do!! Mainly Vietnam..Indonesia,The Philipines and Cambodia. Chinese with a bit more money to spend go to Europe,Japan or to the US.

Chinese tourists are not stupid. Apparently the Thai "government" is...!

Hows that?

Hans.

Spot on! Chinese tourists in Thailand are the lower-income type, who can just afford the cheap flights with low-cost airlines, cheap accommodation and package tours, and who like to shop at Big C. Same, probably, for the rising number of tourists from India. People with money travel some place else...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hans007 said:

Chinese people will go else were...and they allready do!! Mainly Vietnam..Indonesia,The Philipines and Cambodia. Chinese with a bit more money to spend go to Europe,Japan or to the US.

Chinese tourists are not stupid. Apparently the Thai "government" is...!

Hows that?

Hans.

Chinese don't feel safe in Indonesia since they slaughtered half a million Chinese in the sixties. Vietnam is in the bad books for their burning out Taiwanese businesses thinking they were Chinese a couple of years ago. Philippines is too scruffy for them, except for Boracay, which Duterte did up just for them and Cambodia is a weekend destination. Japan, yeah, once.

So thank you Hans from the Chinese Tourist Authority.

You're sacked.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Spot on! Chinese tourists in Thailand are the lower-income type, who can just afford the cheap flights with low-cost airlines, cheap accommodation and package tours, and who like to shop at Big C. Same, probably, for the rising number of tourists from India. People with money travel some place else...

I thought the same thing until one day when I was changing money at the superrich in Emporium (Bangkok).  Not only do they appear to be the only shoppers in the high end boutiques, but the two people in front of me in line both changed US$50,000.  I have to admit I was somewhat confused seeing Chinese nationals (burgundy passport) changing US dollars into baht.

13 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I thought the same thing until one day when I was changing money at the superrich in Emporium (Bangkok).  Not only do they appear to be the only shoppers in the high end boutiques, but the two people in front of me in line both changed US$50,000.  I have to admit I was somewhat confused seeing Chinese nationals (burgundy passport) changing US dollars into baht.

The Chinese tourist is the highest spender in the world currently. Every country with a tourist offer is baying for them to visit.

It seems to be difficult for people on here to accept that fact, and whatever proof from organisations and studies, respected around the world, you provide, you still get stupid posts about Chinese people queuing outside 7/11s to buy noodles.

I think it's just fear, and lets face it we're all scared of something. It's not good to feel unimportant.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Traubert said:

The Chinese tourist is the highest spender in the world currently. Every country with a tourist offer is baying for them to visit.

It seems to be difficult for people on here to accept that fact, and whatever proof from organisations and studies, respected around the world, you provide, you still get stupid posts about Chinese people queuing outside 7/11s to buy noodles.

I think it's just fear, and lets face it we're all scared of something. It's not good to feel unimportant.

I’m not sure I’d take it to your extreme, but I understand what you’re saying.  With 1.4 Billion people, it’s pretty hard not to be the biggest spender in aggregate.  

I see both ends of the spectrum from the 7-11 crowd to the long lines in Boots (you should see it in Maya Mall in Chiang Mai.  Crazy.) all the way up to the ones that you’ll see in the boutique high end malls such as Emquartier and Emporium.  The only customers I have ever seen in the Patek shop were Chinese.  I wouldn’t dare darken their doorway myself.

Where most people’s opinions come from is just based on demographics.  There are going to be more lower income package tour types than 1%er travelers and unfortunately, the lower income ones are the group that give China a bad name when it comes to manners, awareness etc.

Compare it to US Travelers and use Mexico (Yucatán peninsula) for the local getaway (about the same distance as Thailand from China).  Go to Cancun and you’ll think every American is some loudmouth beer swilling redneck hanging out at the “cantina”.  Head south to Akumal and you’ll get an entirely different impression.

It’s still a bit odd seeing such large amounts of US currency being exchanged.  I wonder if they declared it at the border?

Edited by Airalee
Added final paragraph

On 8/10/2019 at 4:35 AM, bert bloggs said:

Totally agree, I have friends that visit me twice every year and have done for the past 6-7 years, however this year they changed their flights and are going to spend their money in Vietnam, this is all due to the strong Baht and are saying Thailand is now expensive. 

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Chinese don't feel safe in Indonesia since they slaughtered half a million Chinese in the sixties. Vietnam is in the bad books for their burning out Taiwanese businesses thinking they were Chinese a couple of years ago. Philippines is too scruffy for them, except for Boracay, which Duterte did up just for them and Cambodia is a weekend destination. Japan, yeah, once.

So thank you Hans from the Chinese Tourist Authority.

You're sacked.

I think you are need to read up a bit. What you say about Indonesia was the killing of ETNIC Chinese people who lived there for generations....NOT for Chinese tourists...and then again..that happen between 1963 and 1965...so long ago. More then 50 years..

Also in Indonesia Chinese tourists form the second largest group of tourists closly after the Malayans. And I bet next year also there the Chinese will overtake them...its just plain math.

As for Vietnam...relations have been normalised since the late nineties..! And Chinese form the largest group of tourists in Vietnam. They are highly welcomed. And I am NOT talking about individual Chinese tourists that got beaten up by the one odd Vietnamese border official..that realy was an incident...!

As for the PHP...Chinese not only go to Borocay...,-) but you allready knew that...didnt you;-) hehehe.

Chinese tourists are on the increase in the PHP..here is a link for you:

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-05/09/c_138046406.htm

happy reading,-)

And also Cambodia is no longer a weekend destination for gamblers or men who like to have fun with cheap cambodian hookers in Shianoukville. Cambodia has been taken over by large Chinese companies and investors...sorry to break your idea about that. Also Cambodia is buying waepons for their army from China...and also much other stuff. They have very good relations. And also here the largest group of tourist are..the Chinese!

Last but not least...also in Thailand the largest group of toursist are the Chinese...yes sir!!,-) Wheter you like it or not.

As for Europe...there also number of Chinese tourists are rising...in large numbers! Main destinations are Spain,France,Germany, Italy,The Netherlands,Bulgaria(!), UK and Greece.

respectfully...i think your information on chinese tourists is very outdated and not correct.

take care.

Hans.

Quanity does not always mean quality.

Chinese and Indians, compared to most other natioons, very tight when.it comes to parting with cash. Thai, I feel, may start to undetstand how they are,and have been, towards foreigners over many years...What goes around, comes around. Not even Thailand can escape the obvious. No nation is petfect.

9 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Totally agree, I have friends that visit me twice every year and have done for the past 6-7 years, however this year they changed their flights and are going to spend their money in Vietnam, this is all due to the strong Baht and are saying Thailand is now expensive. 

Edited by bert bloggs

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Chinese tourists in Thailand are the lower-income type

This is a TV myth that is endlessly repeated until it becomes fact. Master card gave out stats last year showing Chinese are in fact good Spender's

This is a TV myth that is endlessly repeated until it becomes fact. Master card gave out stats last year showing Chinese are in fact good Spender's

Here’s something to ponder. Spent a few weeks in Cannes /St tropez recently. If chinese are really spending then why did I hardly see any chinese in those places. It was so striking that I actually started looking for some with believe it or not almost zero success. They simply weren’t there. Blissful!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app