Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay

rooster59

Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay

21078679_1453605551341962_7449923375989567804_n.jpg

Image: Richard Barrow Facebook

Popular Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow has posted about experiencing difficulties in trying to renew his extension of stay.

On Friday, Richard returned to Samut Prakan immigration where he expected to collect his newly approved extension.

However, unexpectedly, he was told that Bangkok hadn’t yet approved his application.

He was then given a 7 day extension and told to return to Samut Prakan Immigration in one week.

Richard then explained that when he returned to work later that day, there was an Immigration Police vehicle parked outside.

According to Richard, officers from Chaengwattana in Bangkok visited him at his place of work to question him.

“They had my application with them which explained why Samut Prakan Immigration hadn’t received the verdict yet, Richard said in a Facebook post.

“They didn’t give any indication as to whether there was a problem or whether they were happy with the inspection. 

“They just said I have to wait seven days to hear the outcome”.

“I’ve lived in Thailand for twenty five years. I’ve spent most of my life here. But this is what I have to go through every year,” he added.

Richard, who has a large following online where his excellent blog and Twitter page promotes travel destinations throughout Thailand, has recently been a vocal supporter of the campaign calling for TM.30 to be abolished.

You can read Richard’s post in full here: 

Also on Friday, Richard shared information about Bangkok Immigration enforcing TM.30.

The post explained that Bangkok Immigration want all expats to file a TM.30 every time they stay overnight in another province. 

The post is being discussed in the forum here: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1116942-latest-tm30-word-from-bkk-imm-8819/

You can read the article in full on Richard’s website here: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/08/bangkok-immigration-want-expats-to-register-their-address-every-time-they-return-from-a-holiday-to-another-province/

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-10

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

has recently been a vocal supporter of the campaign calling for TM.30 to be abolished.

All the people who were saying "don't worry, just sign the petition' ! 

As many said, best to keep a low profile.

i follow Richard on twitter. i hope they don't throw him out.

he does a good job promoting Thailand and sometimes he will come down on some issues.

the last year or two he seems more vocal.

by coincidence i saw him doing a photo shoot in Mae Hong Son last November.  

interesting operation.

Sad, but true ...it‘s more important than ever to just stay under the radar. I wish that story would go viral, also to broadcasting stations abroad , but it‘s just not „important“ enough. I guess he will get approved in the end, but that tactic of anxiety is totally disgusting. With me and my gf not being dependent that much on the Thai economy, I wish them all the worst. It‘s the only way for them to wake up.

4 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

That's the coward's way. Richard Barrow has done a huge amount for the tourist industry in Thailand and should not be treated like this.In fact he needs an apology now.

I wonder what is wrong with his paperwork. From what I understand hes been on a non B for years, and there should technically be no reason not to get an extension. Has his employer omitted some paperwork?

He promotes Thai tourism big time  and his blogs have often helped us deciding what to visit next (before the TM30 saga). He was quite outspoken about the smog this year, and I dont think the autorities were very pleased with this incovenient truth.

Contrary to those suggesting that it is better to stay under the radar I agree with what 

Richard is doing.This type of behaviour by the Thai Immigration will only expose their inappropriate way of dealing with issues.The PM himself has said that he would welcome suggestions to help promote the benefits of Thailand to the world and any inappropriate actions against Richard will only serve to make the PM look bad in the eyes of the international community.Go Richard. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“They didn’t give any indication as to whether there was a problem or whether they were happy with the inspection. 

“They just said I have to wait seven days to hear the outcome”.

“I’ve lived in Thailand for twenty five years. I’ve spent most of my life here. But this is what I have to go through every year,” he added.

Well, I've been in Thailand for 20 years and never experienced the 'problems' you have. What am doing wrong?

I don't know what kind of extension he is on.

For an extension based on marriage, it always takes one month to be approved, and a bit longer is no exception. A bit early IMO to jump to conclusions.

58 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

unfortunately it doesn't matter how long one's has been living here, taking care of his/hers family and relatives, spending all or the majority of his/hers savings, with a stroke of a pen we all (could) would be out and about, they don't give a rats ass about us... does the word junta mean anything

55 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“I’ve lived in Thailand for twenty five years. I’ve spent most of my life here. But this is what I have to go through every year,” 

More well known expats getting annoyed as well. I wonder if they will call him in for an attitude adjustment. We saw what happened to "Mr English in Thailand" after complaining about immigration at the airport. He did a complete u-turn the next day. Yes Richard Barrow we are all tourists in Thailand some with work permits and some with extensions. Maybe add the English song for the kids in your class.

Immigration Rules

The falang on the bus go round and round - round and round - round and round (X2)

Early in the morning

Visa Runs

The falang on the bus go in and out - in and out - in and out (X2)

Early in the morning

You get the idea ..... 

59 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I got an invitation via messenger and facebook, and quickly deleted myself from the groups. I agree a voice should be placed, but I have no interest of putting myself out there for a random pick of imigration. If it is going to be to bad without me have to join such groups to protect my interests in Thailand, I will rather have time to pack up, and leave when Im ready. 

23 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If we can't sign a simple petition without beeing threatend then we are in the wrong country. 

Time to admit that and relocate even if it's a major annoyance, let's see how this works out... 

I for one won't leave.Nor do I feel I'm in the wrong country.This is a process that will gone through to achieve a positive outcome.You may relocate only to find you are again in the wrong country and if you continue you might find you have run out of countries to relocate to.

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't know what kind of extension he is on.

For an extension based on marriage, it always takes one month to be approved, and a bit longer is no exception. A bit early IMO to jump to conclusions.

I use the same immigration office as Richard (Samutprakarn) for my Non-B extension and at visa time I will get a one month extension while waiting for Bangkok Immigrations approval for the full extension.

After one month I then have to report back to Samutprakarn immigration, who then give me the remaining 11 months.

The article states ‘Richard returned to Samut Prakan immigration where he expected to collect his newly approved extension’, so I presume that he had already started the application and was returning for the 11 month stamp.

It would appear that Richard has upset someone up high, I have never had any problems getting my extension and I have never had an immigration visit yet.

The funny thing, is most of us who come here to Thailand, havent give a "deleted" about human equal rights, before it strikes us self, and the country is getting harder to live in. Then you see a upproar like this coming. Before that, we where wealthy fat bastards, enjoying cheep beer and cheap women. 

What happend so suddenly? It is their country, if we do not like it, leave. Simple as that. 

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

If it is going to be to bad without me have to join such groups to protect my interests in Thailand, I will rather have time to pack up, and leave when Im ready. 

Reading Thai visa not many get the option to be ready. They just get turned away. 

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

a)Then you see a upproar like this coming. Before that ... wealthy fat bastards, enjoying cheep beer and cheap women. 

b)What happend so suddenly? 

A) Did not change

B) Thats what nobody understands.

3 minutes ago, Tagged said:

The funny thing, is most of us who come here to Thailand, havent give a "deleted" about human equal rights

The funny things is I've read a "deleted" load of threads and posts complaining about human rights infringements against Thais and get the overwhelming impression that most us coming here care a great deal about human rights in general and not only when it concerns us.

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The funny things is I've read a "deleted" load of threads and posts complaining about human rights infringements against Thais and get the overwhelming impression that most us coming here care a great deal about human rights in general and not only when it concerns us.

Talking about it, and posting words, doesnt fix anything. People realize it have been bad for the locals long time, but still falangs come here and enjoy the fact it is a cheap country to live in, and for many others, cheap women as well. So knowing and turn the blind eye to the fact, have been the situation, until the system makes it harder to live here, and as well strikes them hard. 

54 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Well, I've been in Thailand for 20 years and never experienced the 'problems' you have. What am doing wrong?

Don’t worry, your time will come. No one has a problem until they do. Just ask Richard Barrow. If Mr. Thailand himself gets the boot, most of you don’t stand a chance of lasting too much longer. 

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

Maybe Thai immigration has been looking at what the UK Home office do and taking lessons from their "hostile environment". 

LOL Thats for citizenship not an extended 'tourist visa' for having a Thai wife. 

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Don’t worry, your time will come. No one has a problem until they do. Just ask Richard Barrow. If Mr. Thailand himself gets the boot, most of you don’t stand a chance of lasting too much longer. 

Richard put his head on the table when represent calling for TM.30 to be abolished.

Archived