Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay

rooster59

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

All the people who were saying "don't worry, just sign the petition' ! 

As many said, best to keep a low profile.

He said that this happens every year. No one has yet reported that they were victimised as a result of signing the petition. It is a petition after all and has got merit. Logic should prevail. 

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Of course you are also right "caring" is something one does not what one thinks,thinking you "care" is not the same as performing "care".

I think a big issue is that Thailand may feel it is being "told" how to behave and as you are probably already aware Thais are quite defiant when they perceive they are being told what to do so one must tread warily and skilfully when trying to help.

I also don't think Thailand is any worse than Australia when it comes to human rights abuses nor do I think it any better but if there are any pressures that will help alleviate these problems then these pressures should be applied and I'm not talking about economic sanctions.

Russis useally good at putting pressure on especislly visa terms, work and investment terms, as Usa used to do, but Im not sure Russians have any better terms now at the moment. Anyone updated could confirm? 

We have to offer better visa terms in EU for Thais, if there is going to be any change in Visa terms for us. A Thai just can not apply or arrive at any EU country to be granted 30 days stay,  we can in Thailand. 

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Well, I've been in Thailand for 20 years and never experienced the 'problems' you have. What am doing wrong?

You have never upset the apple cart.

Perhaps it needs many people to challenge the fact that we are still living under a military Junta .

If Thailand wishes to enter the civilised world - and therefore stem the huge loss of foreign investments- the Government needs to to welcome the hated “Farang” . The world works on globalisation- like it or not - but provides work and income .

Apart from the keyboard warriors - sitting in some dump somewhere- many of us have made the Kingdom our home - collectively we contribute billions to the economy. 

Will the Government acknowledge our contribution? 

Maybe not

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

The petition was well-meaning but naive. I'm afraid things will get tougher now. Personally, in over 30 years, I have never had any problems at all with Immigration so I'm confused as to what all the fuss is about.

Exactly, it is easy to stand up to whatever in the West when you know you won't be hit. When I mentioned folk should probably keep their heads down, I was told to grow a pair. The heroes just don't get it; you are not at home. If the petition succeeded and immigration pulled the requirement thus losing a measure of face, there'll be a counter somewhere down the line, guaranteed. They don't need (even want) you there, fellas, you are tolerated guests. Compared with some countries, staying in Thailand is relatively easy; how much do you want it?

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

For an extension based on marriage, it always takes one month to be approved, and a bit longer is no exception.

If you are married to a Thai you shouldn't need 'extensions', let alone have to wait for permission to live with her for a few weeks or months longer. What you should have after a reasonable qualifying period is a 10-year unlimited in and out visa with no TM30 nonsense either.

2 hours ago, Haddo said:

Richard and others will be appearing at the FCCT in Bangkok this Thursday to discuss the TM30 issue (and no doubt his visa issues too)

https://www.fccthai.com/events/thailands-controversial-immigration-laws-and-their-consequences-panel-discussion/

I expect the "Secret Police" will also be lurking about.

regards Worgeordie

12 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Exactly, it is easy to stand up to whatever in the West when you know you won't be hit. When I mentioned folk should probably keep their heads down, I was told to grow a pair. The heroes just don't get it; you are not at home. If the petition succeeded and immigration pulled the requirement thus losing a measure of face, there'll be a counter somewhere down the line, guaranteed. They don't need (even want) you there, fellas, you are tolerated guests. Compared with some countries, staying in Thailand is relatively easy; how much do you want it?

Perhaps we are all sheep ? 

The Government seems to take a great bit of notice of how Thailand is perceived on social media.

The reality is that many major foreign investors are leaving the Kingdom - the Japanese etc .

Of course - as an alien - I just spend a few million - but add it up .

Of course I can stay here - is it cheap - no- but the quality of life here far outweighs my home country.

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you are married to a Thai you shouldn't need 'extensions', let alone have to wait for permission to live with her for a few weeks or months longer. What you should have after a reasonable qualifying period is a 10-year unlimited in and out visa with no TM30 nonsense either.

Lots of us have children here, and most countries would acknowledge the importance of families with children. Thailand's population, just as many wealthier countries, is in decline. We have 2 children and if the ground is getting too hot for us, we will have to move to Europe. Sell our assets and restart elsewhere. 

Something's gotta give imho, with more and more mixed marriages and families living here. For me, its not only my visa extension anymore, but it's become a family affair. 

Does anyone know whether immigration at Suvarnabhumi airport already demands to see that confirmation slip that everybody is supposed to carry around in their passport? Have there been any reports of people having problems exiting the country without that slip?

I am asking because my landlady is still waiting to receive her user ID and password... but I'll have to go on an overseas business trip in two weeks.

If immigration is not coming up with a solution that actually works very soon, this is all going to end in utter chaos for everybody.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

The petition was well-meaning but naive. I'm afraid things will get tougher now. Personally, in over 30 years, I have never had any problems at all with Immigration so I'm confused as to what all the fuss is about.

Having a petition is more of a ‘in your face’ attitude to the Thai immigration which I don’t think they appreciate losing face big time. . Thai authorities do not appreciate being told in public that their idea ( process) is stupid or lack logic. That would be insinuating that they are the same too. So their response would be to hit hard to show who is boss which in this case would be STRICT ENFORCEMENT OF TM30 and heavier penalties! Soft power should be applied instead when dealing with Thai authorities.

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Russis useally good at putting pressure on especislly visa terms, work and investment terms, as Usa used to do, but Im not sure Russians have any better terms now at the moment. Anyone updated could confirm? 

We have to offer better visa terms in EU for Thais, if there is going to be any change in Visa terms for us. A Thai just can not apply or arrive at any EU country to be granted 30 days stay,  we can in Thailand. 

I see Thailand as one of the most welcoming countries around despite a lot of the rhetoric in these threads,sure one might have to do a bit of running around every 3 months and some it seems have to do some reporting and annoying paperwork but I have managed to avoid having to do the dreaded TM30 by doing border runs which avoids having to keep money in the bank and having to deal with immigration to prove this or that which means I'm one of the lucky few who hasn't been affected by the changes immigration has made.

I agree that if other countries did offer more relaxed visa terms that would help things being relaxed more here.

3 hours ago, Filipplenoir said:

That's why I didn't sign. Pointless

No it's not pointless, do you really think they will come after you just because you signed a petition? 

Richard is a media figure in Thailand, well known by everyone, you are just a nobody so you can relax.  

6 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

And the very same Richard Barrow is the website editor for Samutprakarn Immigration department's website.

This must be the Immigration department's way of saying thank you for your help.

And it's the only Thai gov website I've seen that actually works!!!

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i follow Richard on twitter. i hope they don't throw him out.

he does a good job promoting Thailand and sometimes he will come down on some issues.

the last year or two he seems more vocal.

by coincidence i saw him doing a photo shoot in Mae Hong Son last November.  

interesting operation.

to say that he has been in LOS for 25 years, he is acting rather naively.  They would deport him at the drop of a hat and may yet do so if the authorities think that he is too much of an influencer, stoking up discontent, just ask Jonathan Head. As the financial gurus are happy to quote; past performance is no guarantee of future returns.   

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

No they can't. 

Rocking the boat just enough to sound like he is begging for a reason to be kicked out. The old subconscious acting up perhaps. Why does he think it matters if he has been here 25 years or days? 

In any case, it is obvious, if you actually do want to stay shut mouth and plow forward. 

All the Thai Defenders said it would be fine. 

Many people told us that the petition would not bring trouble. 

The clued up among us know the people here will turn against foreigners no matter their long contributions. They simply don't care. The smiles are plastic. 

Now learn from this prominent example. 

I am on a non B visa as I work for a large, foreign owned corporation here in Thailand. We employ several hundred Thais and have between 2 and 4 expats here at any one time in senior management. This year's work permit extensions went through easily. 2 years for each of us. But the visa extensions went on for 12 weeks, although all paperwork was correct and accepted at first submission. No reason for the delay was given, apart from "we have not heard back from Bangkok". This resulted in 3 temporary extensions which used up a complete page of my passport for each one. On returning from my last business trip during these mini extensions (the last extension was for 6 days!) I was given a hard time at BKK immigration and had to answer a lot of questions about what I was doing in Thailand. I have managed various industrial companies in SEA and have always been treated very well, as in other countries companys who bring inward investment are highly prized. The treatment this year of myself and my colleagues has caused the owners of the company to draw up contingency plans to move the operation to another country in the region. 

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

All the people who were saying "don't worry, just sign the petition' ! 

As many said, best to keep a low profile.

I agree, UNFORTUNATELY.   But IMO  Thailand is just one piece of the whole puzzle.  Use your phone or computer and you are plugged into the system.   Watch what you say, cause they will be watching you.

The term "new world order" has been used to refer to any new period of history evidencing a dramatic change in world political thought and the balance of power ...

Archived