Latest TM30 word from Bkk Imm, 8/8/19

Thailand blogger Richard Barrow posted on his blog today what he learned last night at a meeting he attended which had Bkk immigration officials announcing how they would be enforcing the Article 38, TM30 reporting.

"During a meeting at the India-Thai Chamber of Commerce on Thursday night, Immigration officials from Division 1 at Chaengwattana, made it very clear that a TM30 form has to be filed each and every time a foreigner (non-immigrant) goes away for more than twenty-four hours to another province in Thailand. This is in addition to when the foreigner returns home from abroad. The only exception are foreigners who hold permanent residence. Although this is an old law, not all Immigration offices around Thailand are enforcing it. But, this is the first time I have heard that Chaengwattana have an intention to enforce it now.

An example that they gave us was if you live in Bangkok but have a condo that you own in Pattaya. If you go away for the weekend, you must file a TM30 yourself as the owner to say that your new address is in Pattaya. When you return to Bangkok on Sunday night, your landlord then has to file TM30 again to inform immigration of your “new” address. In another example, if you go to another province for the weekend and stay at a hotel, they will file a TM30 for you. However, either you or your landlord have to file another TM30 when your return “home”.

We asked them multiple times about this and they said that yes, the movement of the foreigner has to be reported every time with no exceptions. However, in the past, Immigration officials have told me off the record that if you go and stay at your friend’s house for the weekend and then come back home there is no need to file a TM30. This is because no-one knows you left your home. Unless like me, the staff at your local Immigration office follow you on social media and they see you have been away! But, joking aside, it is a big pain if we travel a lot and our local Immigration office are enforcing this law."

There is more. It is a pretty thorough report, the rest of it can be read: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/08/bangkok-immigration-want-expats-to-register-their-address-every-time-they-return-from-a-holiday-to-another-province/

• Confused 1
  • Sad 11
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Salerno said:

For an investigative journalist not exactly got his finger on the pulse if last night is the first he's heard of it :coffee1:

Last time I heard he was a teacher working in Paknam.

8 minutes ago, Issannative said:

What the op is an investative journalist no way well that just is mmmm I don't know what to say

No, the OP was quoting another guy ... but

4 minutes ago, roamer said:

Last time I heard he was a teacher working in Paknam.

I sit corrected, buggered if I know why but for some reason I read Richard Barrow and though Andrew Drummond (wondered why the hell he was back in LoS as last I heard they where still going after him for defamation).

My apologies folks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Issannative said:

Why do ppl keep making the excuse of online available that's not the point. Why should we be doing it at all is the point stop making this online available an excuse to make it legitimate

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I admire your attitude there but exactly what do you propose we are going to do about it?