Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Due to the Exchange Rates - have you changed your spending habits?

Pilotman

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

On the other hand, I wasn't expecting it to reach 25bht/pound.

But now I am.

True. When it was 70 plus it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to last. When it was 74 I decided if I was ever going to buy anything here , that was the time to do it. Got house , car, bike trip to Europe.

When the fall came I fully expected it to stabilize around the mid 50's ish , which proved to be the case. 

Back then who could have predicted Brexit would come along and rain on the parade.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Minimum government insurance is about 500bht.

I get my entire car insurance/tax and road test for under 1,500bht.

Same here. Can't get fully comp for cars over 10 years old.

Ours is a 2003 Vios. Cheap as chips.

2 minutes ago, TSF said:

Correct, and most of us on retirement ext receive a pension, so working is illegal and we run the risk of serious trouble if anyone reports us, and starting a small business requires capital, legal expenses, and what small business can a farang do anyway?...run a bar?...gotta be joking.

That you can't think about what sort of business to do means you are not fit to do business to start with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You can only read half the sentence? If you work you get a non B, no need to keep 800K in the bank too.

So you reckon someone who HAS been on retirement extension can go out, get a job, get a non B visa, take his 800k out of the bank and hey presto, all is fine.

• Confused 1

Just now, mercman24 said:

yes my habits have changed, in 4 years my free spends, i have lost 12,000 + baht per month, i bet others have lost a lot more but do not do the book keeping. like i do monthly

Hey, nothing wrong with keeping tabs on what you spend. Make sure what comes in is always more than what goes out. I've done it for years. Pisses the wife off no end!   LOL

6 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

That you can't think about what sort of business to do means you are not fit to do business to start with.

I can THINK about opening the Thai version of Playboy Mansion, so does your statement means that I AM fit to do it?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

what about doing some work or start a business to get more local money in?

are you aware to that one needs a WP and spend money to create a company,

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, brokenbone said:

unfortunately i am unable to reduce spending,

i dont know what happened, i used to be somewhat frugal

back home, and even initially in thailand.

i lost the plot, i blame the tipping requests

I stopped tipping after the Brexit vote

Yes expats are cutting down on what they buy  ,but it you are a UK person your spending twice as much for the same item as you were 10 years ago and the item haven't changed much. 10 years ago I got 78Bhat/£ now 37.4B/£. The Thai people are getting less income.It's got to work against the people's interest for the the Baht to be high but you can't fudge the exchange rate.

Edited by Percy P

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Well as you're so smart how about giving some suggestions for staring a business that a foreigner retired on a pension can afford to set up and can legally do in Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1