Packet 3 Questions

Hey! We are tryin to prepare for the Packet 3 documents as much as possible for a K3 interview.

I have a couple of questions:

(1) Police reports. I hear there is one police station that we will hve to go to. Does anyone know where it is?

(2) Also, we have to get housing reports. We have moved around a bunch in the last few years. Does my wife have to go to every local police station to get each and every ousing report separately? Or can she just go to the noe police station in BKK?

(3) What else can we do to help make everything go smoothly? We have gotten her Birth Certificate + ID card? what other documents should we gather together? Any tips for making the process easier? Mistakes to watch out for in BKK?

(4) I have heard for some embassies we can mail in a complete Packet 3 as soon as we know the Embassy has recieved the application from the NVC. Can we do this in BKK? We are separated until the visa comes through, and she doesn't get to see our son until this all clears, so we are very interested in making this go faster!

Any other general or specific tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

1) The Police station is actually the Royal Thai Police Station and is located on Ploenchit Road (?). I was just there the other day. I was in a taxi that travelled eastward, past World Trade Center, MBK, Siam Center, etc, and it is on your left hand side (i.e. stay in the left lane as you travel). You can't miss it. It is a huge complex. It takes two weeks to get the police report. Btw, the address is provided with the K3 packet.

2) No, just the main police station, as indicated above. But you do have to list every location she has lived since age 16 on the appropriate form.

3) With the Packet 3 info, there is a list of items that you should bring. I will to list the ones I remember:

1. Thai Passport

2. Two US-style passport photos

3. DS-230 form (this form needs to be completed in its entirety, however it is not signed until spouse it at the embassy).

4. Thai ID card

5. Thai Birth Certificate (or if not available, Thai ID card and House Registration booklet)

6. Birth Certificate of any children

7. Bumrungrad Medical Report

8. I-134 (or other) Affidavit of Support form and supporting evidence

4) When the NVC (or more appropriately, the USCIS) has received all documentation from you, only then will your spouse's visa application be sent to the embassy in BKK. This can take between 9-12 months. After, the US Embassy will contact your spouse with a scheduled appointment (and the packet 3 stuff). If you designate a proxy (ie. yourself, a lawyer, or any one else) with the USCIS, this proxy will also receive a copy of the appointment notice and the packet 3. It makes no difference if your wife submits the forms to the embassy via mail or not. Her interview will not take place until the schedule appointment time. Therefore, I highly recommend that she should hand carry all information to the embassy when her appointment is scheduled. This reduces the chance of any forms getting "lost".

Btw, why can't you visit her? You should make an attempt (although it is not required) to be with her during her interview day. Otherwise, she may be required to submit ancillary evidence of your relationship to you (such as photos showing the two of you together, wedding pics, etc).

Let me know if you have more questions (but please try to be specific with your queries). My spouse was just awarded her visa last Tuesday, and other than the dreadful wait in the sitting room, it went quite smoothly.

Congratulations on the visa!!!! I know it takes forever - ours is in California awaiting approval right now.

We're married with a son. We have NUMEROUS photos of me + her with all sorts of funny haircuts, many different locations, a lot of me in the hospital with her throughout her pregnancy, ultrasound, me cutting the cord, and then lots of family pics. Thousands (I like taking pictures :o ) ! That should be no problem.

I would have to quit both of my current jobs to go to Thailand - one is a very good band and the other is teaching drum lessons a couple days/week for $50/hour. Gotta keep money coming in to pay for the li'l tyke + the plane tix, visa fees, and sending her some baht, too! Certainly don't want to be left cold by an emergency. It sucks, but really best to be practical about the situation. It was her decision for us to go back, and while she didn't know what she was getting into, she WAS properly warned.

THANKS for the info about the Police station! I haven't been able to find it anywhere! its not anywhere on the website - not in the checklist or anywhere else I can find! its good to know she doesn't have to tramping all around to get the certificates from places we've lived.

I do have another question, though. It says "DO NOT MAIL ANYTHING IN" - I was under the distinct impression that some things got miled in early and others got brought in. What did you have to do?

Also, if we send in all the documents before the Embassy makes our appointment, will the schedule i ahead of time, as they know we already have everything ready? (I guess we could try it anyway - can't hurt!! - worst case scenario we have to send in 2 copies of the forms)

Oh - another question:

I am considering the benefits of returning to BKK to do the I-130 instead of changing her status in the US. They are doubling the fees for the later, making it over $1000 USD more expensive to change status in the US - cheaper to go back to BKK and she'll get a vacation out of it as well.

Am I right in my calculations there, as far as you can tell? thx

THANKS for the info about the Police station! I haven't been able to find it anywhere! its not anywhere on the website - not in the checklist or anywhere else I can find! its good to know she doesn't have to tramping all around to get the certificates from places we've lived.

drummer

I'm doing a k1

see (this is the last pdf on the k3 page)

Sp Instructions Special Instructions for Thai Applicant

on that check list you will find...

2. POLICE CERTIFICATES:

Thai Police cerificates are available from:

Section 3, Sub-Division 2, General Staff Division

Special Branch, Royal Thai Police Department

Rama I Road

Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330, Tel. 02-205-2605

Residents of Thailand...two recent photographs (2 inch x 2 inch), ...

don't forget to tell her about the photos. And please follow Gumballl directions, he was there. I've done the US side and am trying to help on the Thai side. I have never been to see the police. I've learned patience and have known her 4 years. I turned US paper work in on Sept. 23, 2006. When I see "DO NOT MAIL ANYTHING IN".

I believe them.

I would have her bring the paper work to the interview. Except the check list, that should be checked for your k3 and mailed in.

Good Luck to you.

Edited by SawWow