At what age did you leave home?

kellersphuket

38 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

14, wow thats young! Bet you saw the world at a young age right?

Good on you buddy!

yeah got around a fair bit   mainly consisted of visiting as many bars as possible  (funds allowing)i think now its called peer pressure but soon learnt to manage on my own

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

yeah got around a fair bit   mainly consisted of visiting as many bars as possible  (funds allowing)i think now its called peer pressure but soon learnt to manage on my own

kids these days wouldnt know where to start! living life on mummy and daddy's credit cards, out there buying ferraris and porches with daddys savings. 

it's shocking really.

I left home at 23 after graduating from university.  Moved to Thailand soon after and have been here ever since.  My parents both lived into their 90s and they were married for something like 67 years.  We always got on well, and my wife and I spent a fair amount of time with them during their 80s to help with my mother's dementia.  There was never any drama or violence in our home and there still isn't.

13 I lived on the streets of Manchester back in the early 60's had a great time worked in a couple of all night cafes got fed and a few quid somebody recommended i go sleep at the Salvation Army that was a big mistake the place was full of arse bandits got out of there and never went back

12 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I left home at 23 after graduating from university.  Moved to Thailand soon after and have been here ever since.  My parents both lived into their 90s and they were married for something like 67 years.  We always got on well, and my wife and I spent a fair amount of time with them during their 80s to help with my mother's dementia.  There was never any drama or violence in our home and there still isn't.

I had assumed your arrival in LoS was linked to the Vietnam war.

I never really left home.... 

After graduating Uni at 22 yrs old I came over to Thailand and lived in Company accommodation for the first year while working throughout South East Asia on rotation.

At first it was a a job to help with travel, then I realized it was a decent career, I'm still in the same industry two decades later. 

Over that period I travel back to the UK a couple of times per year (for a month in the summer and 1-2 weeks over Christmas) and stay at my Parents home in the UK where I still have plenty of belongings and 'stuff'....

Although I have my own home, family and life in Thailand part of me still considers my home in the UK, home. 

Although I started work in a bank at 16, I did not leave home until aged 18, when I joined the RAF. They provided me with accommodation, food , money and training. They still send money every month. I visited my parents every time I went on leave, and eventually bought their house for them to live in rent free.

57 minutes ago, evadgib said:
1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

I had assumed your arrival in LoS was linked to the Vietnam war.

That is a common assumption and the reason I say on my profile page "I was not sent here by military, government, god or corporation."

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I never really left home.... 

After graduating Uni at 22 yrs old I came over to Thailand and lived in Company accommodation for the first year while working throughout South East Asia on rotation.

At first it was a a job to help with travel, then I realized it was a decent career, I'm still in the same industry two decades later. 

Over that period I travel back to the UK a couple of times per year (for a month in the summer and 1-2 weeks over Christmas) and stay at my Parents home in the UK where I still have plenty of belongings and 'stuff'....

Although I have my own home, family and life in Thailand part of me still considers my home in the UK, home. 

I can identify in a general way with your situation.  My parents always had a room for me throughout my life.  I had clothes and a few other possessions stored there.  Whenever I visited, I always felt at home.  Having the security of that fallback location emboldened me on my adventures.  I knew I had a safe place to land if I ever stumbled and failed.  I also knew I never wanted to be in a situation where had to use it for any more than brief visit.

The first time I was a mature 3.

Mum left me playing in the garden but I got bored and decided to visit a friend. I got on my trike an off I peddled. I actually succeeded in getting half a mile away and was about to cross a busy road when my screaming mother came legging it after me and terminated my adventure.

It was another year before I decided I wanted to travel the world and see lions and elephants for real. This time I was better prepared and took a very small suitcase packed with a banana, a plastic gun ( in case the lions went for me ) and a length of string for mountain climbing.

I managed to get 150 yards, right around the corner where the big boys lived and truth told I was a bit scared because at 4 you are wiser than 3. So I was secretly relieved when my dad sauntered up behind me and asked where I was going.

' To find the lions and elephants '

He grinned then turned for home.

' OK But you'd better hurry or I'll eat your sausage and chips '

I fell in behind him and had to wait another 16 years before I finally left home for real.

Respect to you for that
I will be 48 soon,but i still want to live with Mum and Dad
One day they will be gone
And i cherish every moment with them
Maybe i am wet behind the ears
I don’t care what people think
With me its all about Family and it always will be
( familia) thats the Italy in me ! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

10 hours ago, thequietman said:

Left home at 10. Had 3 paper routes to do at that time. Dad chased me from the family home helped by the pack of Alsations that were biting at my heels. I remember it was snowing that day and I couldn't feel my hands or feet mainly because I had no shoes and used old socks to keep my hands warm.

Salary then was 10 pence and I was happy. It was a much better generation then and we were happy with our lot. Mum mum beat me regularly. Did I mention that we were really poor and I worked down a mine?

Good times, good times, the best of times. ????

On a separate note, Thai parents are very reliant on their kids to take care of them in their older age. Call it laziness, lack of preparation or culture. Nothing in place by the government to properly support them, so the kids are the ones. Kinda a good thing until the parents start dotting (spelling) and then it's a huge pain in the arse. Currently, have the MIL living with us and she keeps closing doors and windows and turning stuff off all day. Obsessed by it, but can't remember 5 minutes ago or to flush her 3 turds a day down the toilet. ????

i like  the  3  turds  part  best!???????? bet  theyre  floaters  too!

22 hours ago, thequietman said:

Left home at 10. Had 3 paper routes to do at that time. Dad chased me from the family home helped by the pack of Alsations that were biting at my heels. I remember it was snowing that day and I couldn't feel my hands or feet mainly because I had no shoes and used old socks to keep my hands warm.

Salary then was 10 pence and I was happy. It was a much better generation then and we were happy with our lot. Mum mum beat me regularly. Did I mention that we were really poor and I worked down a mine?

Good times, good times, the best of times. ????

On a separate note, Thai parents are very reliant on their kids to take care of them in their older age. Call it laziness, lack of preparation or culture. Nothing in place by the government to properly support them, so the kids are the ones. Kinda a good thing until the parents start dotting (spelling) and then it's a huge pain in the arse. Currently, have the MIL living with us and she keeps closing doors and windows and turning stuff off all day. Obsessed by it, but can't remember 5 minutes ago or to flush her 3 turds a day down the toilet. ????

Did you live in't shoebox in't middle o'road?

15, I joined the army, parents were against it but duly signed the release believing I would be back in a couple weeks, I finally decided that I had had enough of being ordered about at age of 27 or 28, but........... I had a wonderful career did some great stuff and visited some interesting places and tried to kill people before they killed me ???? 

When on leave I would go and stay at home, treat mum & dad to a meal out and pay generously for my keep, they are both dead now, dad at 59, mum at 77, miss em both and I have a photo on my desk with me and my siblings with me parents in front of me now - Happy days.

I ran away when I was 17, don't  know why really, I wanted an adventure I guess. So I took the ferry all the way from Southern Norway to Dover, England, then a train to Liverpool Street St. London. I had £50 in my pocket. I wanted to play in a band, I had even made some demo tapes. But after a few weeks I was broke and had to live on the streets. I was so hungry I had to steal food in the end, I slept in red telephone booths until someone knocked on the door. Finally rescued by Centrepoint in Soho, a youth organization, and they sent me to the embassy to get a ticket home. Then I had to meet my parents who was worried sick which was not a fun thing. 
But I learned my lesson, I'm still looking for adventures though. 

14 when I left home, a year after my Mother died. Pretended I had a "vocation" when recruiters came around the schools...did so to get away from my home scene. Lasted one year there, thrown out for bed wetting. Joined the army at seventeen (lied about my age). From about that age of 14 developed into a chronic alcoholic. Tried for 30 years to stop but couldn't. Finally stopped one year before coming to Thailand 20 years ago.

Thailand has given me the best years of my life.

So, the moral of the story, accept life as it happens...for ...you never know where the path you are on will lead you. Each step has to be taken one in front of the other to reach what could be a great destination.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:13 PM, Lamkyong said:

14 half joined the ROYAL NAVY at HMS GANGES  thinking that would be the end of school  to my misunderstanding i had signed up for another year of intense schooling  still, worked out ok taught me to wash my socks and drink copious amounts of beer  and as you might of guessed more problems

:smile: Similar age, 15 (just short of 16) but I ended up going to HMS Raleigh for my sins and training. My reasons were probably different than yours though as this was my out from the (possible) affiliation with the paramilitaries in Belfast in the early 70's. Still, it was the first step to a 23 year party, sponsored by the British taxpayer for which I am still grateful............:wink:.

When I left at the age of 40 I came to Thailand for a 6 month kick back (continuing to wash my socks and drink copious amounts of beer as taught) but that holiday has lasted until the present as I am still here some 22 years later.

Have to note that my parents were fully supportive of this as they recognized early that I was not cutout to attend university while there was a whole world out there to abuse.

Archived