Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

I have gone past Papagayo on Soi Diana a few times over the last few weeks.  I haven't been in there for a long time.  I don't know if it's their prices, or the appearance of the girls, but it was dead each time.  Only one time did I see two customers inside, and plenty of staff. 

This place used to be very busy.

I would not be surprised to see it close soon.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:11 PM, Leaver said:

I was thinking more along the lines of legitimate bars and restaurants, most likely bars and restaurant that offer good food and sport on TV, or other entertainment, not sex.

I would rather have sex than food!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Just been speaking to my brother who’s a first time visitor to Thailand and Phuket to be specific . He can’t believe how expensive it is there . He’s really not impressed 

That's why they call it Pirate Island.  ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Just been speaking to my brother who’s a first time visitor to Thailand and Phuket to be specific . He can’t believe how expensive it is there . He’s really not impressed 

phuket? expensive? no, surely not...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

My nephew from Australia spent 2 weeks in Bangkok, he was also shocked at the prices, won't be back. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

My nephew from Australia spent 2 weeks in Bangkok, he was also shocked at the prices, won't be back. 

my half second cousin from new delhi spent 10 minutes in cheap charlies pattaya. says no way he is going back. it's like harrods he said with prices to match. 

• Haha 2

On 12/29/2019 at 8:25 PM, fhickson said:

there are plenty if places with good food and passable service.

what specifically are you after from a "favorite restaurant" that you cant get from a place like cheap charlies?

My term "favorite restaurant" was meant to mean, a restaurant that you frequent regularly, not necessarily that there is anything special about the place. 

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

My term "favorite restaurant" was meant to mean, a restaurant that you frequent regularly, not necessarily that there is anything special about the place. 

Nonsense. And if you frequent it regularly, then that in itself makes it special.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone, “It means just what I choose it to mean – nothing more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “Whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
    – Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

"Favorite," however, makes the impending closing SO much more poignant. My FAVORITE! Sniff.

Well, the game is simply to argue for whatever reason--"didn't see but two people in there at 2 PM yesterday"--that if poster does have any such place, then its closing is imminent whether the poster thinks so or not. ???? The disingenuous title of this topic really should be "The closure of your favorite place is imminent." 

change.jpg.04156f88a9104f9a2cecc15c4f5cfa41.jpg

Alas, it turns out nobody has any favorite place and if he did doesn't really care if it does close. Anyone who grew up in a quasi-free economy knows not to expect any particular place to remain just as it is forever, as in some Stalinist state. The implication that someone should expect so is just condescending.

Now occasionally we have some old fart arrive after some years, as one did in 2009, and go to some fondly-remembered spot where he'd once encountered Miss Lek only to experience the surprise SHOCK! of finding it not there. He then concludes in panic that "everything is closing down!" and starts a doom thread. Somehow he'd missed seeing that a large new shopping mall and Hilton Hotel had just opened up. ???? You can't make this stuff up. Only on TVF.

As noted, there are plenty of other options--too many, in fact--and will be for the foreseeable future, as they are continually arising. In fact a vastly larger number exist now than ever existed in the golden "Big Spending" monger heyday.

So the whole thread is pretty silly but lives on as there are thousands of businesses in Pattaya to pronounce doomed or wisely adjudge "safe for now," one by one. ????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigStar said:

if you frequent it regularly, then that in itself makes it special.

I disagree.

If it is 50m from your house, it's convenient, and that's why one may frequent.  This could make it special, due to its proximity to your house, but that alone, may not make it your favorite place. 

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

I disagree.

If it is 50m from your house, it's convenient, and that's why one may frequent.  This could make it special, due to its proximity to your house, but that alone, may not make it your favorite place. 

Bloody right, places where I can stay on this side of the dangerous main road, not need to use deadly U-Turns, and feel safe driving back from after a bottle of beer. 

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Bloody right, places where I can stay on this side of the dangerous main road, not need to use deadly U-Turns, and feel safe driving back from after a bottle of beer. 

Ok, but my point being, if you lived in Jomtien, for example, you have some bars and restaurants close to you, but your favorite ones might be in Central Pattaya, for example. 

On 12/31/2019 at 7:12 PM, Leaver said:

I disagree.

No, you now agree the particular location CAN be the something special about the place, just as I said. And an example:

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But now, by the new definition, the special location of these places with all its advantages doesn't make them favorites. The location is merely the reason they're frequented yet because they're frequented they're favorites. Whether jacko45k thinks so or not.???? 

And I didn't say that convenience necessarily makes it your favorite. Still, disagreeing with yourself, you imply that it might, so no disagreement with me there, either. 

But you see "special" is only relevant to favorite in the old normal sense of the word everyone understands. Sadly, nobody had any favorite under that definition; if he did he wasn't worried. So then we had to gut and redefine favorite to mean "frequent regularly' in hopes of finally generating some worry.

So in the phrase "that alone," there's in fact no distinguishing "that" presumed at all. Under the new definition--what it was "meant to mean"--the places you had thought were your favorites, if any, but don't frequent regularly no longer qualify as favorites. The places you do frequent are your favorites automatically because . . . well, because you do, period.  

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Ok, but my point being, if you lived in Jomtien, for example, you have some bars and restaurants close to you, but your favorite ones might be in Central Pattaya, for example. 

Might, but it doesn't sound like they're frequented as regularly as those on this side of the dangerous main road. So now he must worry. The thing is, being a favorite is in itself special without necessarily "having anything special." (I love this.) That's because a favorite is somehow, mysteriously, subject to imminent "closure"--within the next 50 years anyway. 

Well, we'll see if anyone professes worry about any of those now designated his new favorites. I suspect we'll just continue with our very astute prognostications for all the businesses in Pattaya at random, one by one, no matter how favorite is defined.

Edited by BigStar

On 12/30/2019 at 6:46 AM, Ron jeremy said:

many cafes charging 90-120 baht for a latte in bangers now, and 120+ baht a pint of beer.

same as usa prices.

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

But now, by the new definition, the special location of these places with all its advantages doesn't make them favorites. The location is merely the reason they're frequented yet because they're frequented they're favorites. Whether jacko45k thinks so or not

What on Earth are you harping on about? 

Favourite simply means preferred, whatever the reasoning behind it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Retox on Soi Lengkee has closed.

https://youtu.be/XbXNoIDUHlk?t=551

Yeah it was mentioned in the thread below a few months ago.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1120980-retox-lengkee-no-more-baht-buster-breakfast/page/2/

4 ชม. · 

Retox Sports Bar (Soi Lengkee)

After some of the speculation over the last few days (some true some not) I feel it is the appropriate time to give out the full and correct information I have available up to yet.

It is with regret that we have to inform our customers that we are having to move the Retox Soi Lengkee bar due to issues with the current Rental agreement for the building. Fortunately we are only moving next door into the beer garden and a new bar will be built so disruption will be minimal.

As of the today (1st September) we will be closed between the hours of 8am-4pm for the foreseeable future to allow work to commence on the bar and beer garden. Thus meaning we will discontinue the complete breakfast menu (including the baht buster) for the time being until we can get fully operational and open again for the breakfast menu (evening menu 4pm onwards will be available as normal).

Fortunately we will be able to honor all room bookings after the 1st September at Retox Game On (Soi Honey) if any of you would still wish to stay with the Retox. So please if you have booked in with us keep this in mind and we will provide transport around the corner to Game On if you arrive at Retox Soi Lengkee.

We plan to invest money into the beer garden to freshen it up but again it will be slowly implemented during our closed hours.

Sorry for the inconvenience to all of you, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

(more details to follow in the coming days)

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

No, you now agree the particular location CAN be the something special about the place, just as I said. And an example:

But now, by the new definition, the special location of these places with all its advantages doesn't make them favorites. The location is merely the reason they're frequented yet because they're frequented they're favorites. Whether jacko45k thinks so or not.???? 

And I didn't say that convenience necessarily makes it your favorite. Still, disagreeing with yourself, you imply that it might, so no disagreement with me there, either. 

But you see "special" is only relevant to favorite in the old normal sense of the word everyone understands. Sadly, nobody had any favorite under that definition; if he did he wasn't worried. So then we had to gut and redefine favorite to mean "frequent regularly' in hopes of finally generating some worry.

So in the phrase "that alone," there's in fact no distinguishing "that" presumed at all. Under the new definition--what it was "meant to mean"--the places you had thought were your favorites, if any, but don't frequent regularly no longer qualify as favorites. The places you do frequent are your favorites automatically because . . . well, because you do, period.  

Might, but it doesn't sound like they're frequented as regularly as those on this side of the dangerous main road. So now he must worry. The thing is, being a favorite is in itself special without necessarily "having anything special." (I love this.) That's because a favorite is somehow, mysteriously, subject to imminent "closure"--within the next 50 years anyway. 

Well, we'll see if anyone professes worry about any of those now designated his new favorites. I suspect we'll just continue with our very astute prognostications for all the businesses in Pattaya at random, one by one, no matter how favorite is defined.

There is a difference between a preferred establishment, and a most frequented establishment. 

I could rephrase the OP title, if it confuses you so much.

What about, "Do you know a bar or restaurant that may close soon?"  Is that simple enough for you?

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

There is a difference between a preferred establishment, and a most frequented establishment. 

I could rephrase the OP title, if it confuses you so much.

What about, "Do you know a bar or restaurant that may close soon?"  Is that simple enough for you?

good point.

the majority of people dont frequent their "favorite" restaurant that often. they goto whats convienient and easy. (ie 7-11), even if the price is the same or more.

if you were to ask the diners if they really wanted to be there i suspect the responses would be ambivalent at best.

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What on Earth are you harping on about? 

Favourite simply means preferred, whatever the reasoning behind it is. 

Used to mean, but that wasn't "meant to mean." New definition:

On 12/31/2019 at 2:51 PM, Leaver said:

Now you don't need to prefer it, which would imply something special about the place. You might prefer elsewhere. BUT you just go there regularly. ???? So I guess we need to know whether you regularly frequent those bars & restos this side of the dangerous main road. If so, they're favorites and we can start worrying about their imminent closure.

20 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Now you don't need to prefer it, which would imply something special about the place. You might prefer elsewhere. BUT you just go there regularly. ???? So I guess we need to know whether you regularly frequent those bars & restos this side of the dangerous main road. If so, they're favorites and we can start worrying about their imminent closure.

Let me guess, you are excited about your new English teaching job in Thailand.  ????

I'll make it even moreeeeee simple for you. 

Do you think ANY bars or restaurants that you go to may close soon? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BigStar said:

I can suggest a MP where you can have that pressure released!

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 11:50 AM, Don Mega said:

It is with regret that we have to inform our customers that we are having to move the Retox Soi Lengkee bar due to issues with the current Rental agreement for the building. Fortunately we are only moving next door into the beer garden and a new bar will be built so disruption will be minimal.

Closed, or moved?

I haven't been down to soi this week.