Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

So, another proud Thai landlord has saved face, but lost money.  ????

I think you will find that it did not have a huge amount to do with a Thai landlord in this instance - the beer garden (shipping container) part.

23 minutes ago, topt said:

I think you will find that it did not have a huge amount to do with a Thai landlord in this instance - the beer garden (shipping container) part.

Can only comment on what has been posted, either on TV, or their Facebook page, albeit, with a grain of salt, of course.

18 hours ago, fhickson said:

either that or another bar owner not paying their rent ????

I think there will be a lot more cases of rent increases, and rent defaults, in the near future.

Edited by Leaver

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Have not seen this posted.

Cruised Lengkee this morning and saw this at Retox site.

Have my opinion of the place will not be shedding a tear..

20200106_070758.jpeg

I looked at the photo before reading you post.  I first thought it was that place on Soi 13, between Sandy Spring Hotel and AA Hotel, but then realized it's not.

That got me thinking, what was the name of that place on Soi 13?  I have eaten there before.

Off topic, because we are talking about bars and restaurants, but the larger massage place at the top of Soi 13 has closed down as well. 

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

This is crazy ...

ENhhGVDUUAA8uj8?format=jpg&name=large

Personally, I would not take over a business here if they paid me.  Have never met a business owner here who does not complain and is constantly stressed.  A lot of it has to do with the workers: "I wonder who is going to show up to work today".

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

This is crazy ...

ENhhGVDUUAA8uj8?format=jpg&name=large

Some Chinese restaurant will pop up there. The demographic change is nearing completion with the last refuge of westeners being on the dark side, epicenter seems to be aroud the Talman-Khao Talo intersection. Remains to be seen if the surrounding villages will be taken over by the Chinese, too. 

My favorite bar was in the Agate in the complex of Jomtien walking street , as it’s called . The Fantasy bar, famous for the fabulous collection of old cognacs, whiskys and every alcohol under the sun. They did very good cocktails, had a decent crowd, lots of foreign couples , as this wasn’t a bar girl hangout. As a lady, I felt quite at ease there, chatting to the waitresses, many having been there for years. Air con inside, terrace out. Yes, a strange place to have a bar like this considering the neighboring ones maybe. The owner was getting on, fromNorway I think. Yes, I’ll miss them. I wonder what happened for them to close, anyone in the know? 

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Some Chinese restaurant will pop up there. The demographic change is nearing completion with the last refuge of westeners being on the dark side, epicenter seems to be aroud the Talman-Khao Talo intersection. Remains to be seen if the surrounding villages will be taken over by the Chinese, too. 

There's already been a couple of notable closures on that Soi.  It used to be a popular Soi. 

Sad to see places that have been around for years close their doors. 

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There's already been a couple of notable closures on that Soi.  It used to be a popular Soi. 

Sad to see places that have been around for years close their doors. 

Sign of the times. I'd expect Sailor Bar on Soi 8 to be the next victim. 7&8 are doomed.

Edited by DrTuner

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

7&8 are doomed.

It appears so, but why? 

There has to be something more to it than just a sign of the times.  Is it possible that rent on that Soi has been overvalued for some time, and now it's coming to head?

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

What nonsense!

43 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Sign of the times. I'd expect Sailor Bar on Soi 8 to be the next victim. 7&8 are doomed.

For the last couple of decades, people have gone on about the death of Soi 7 & 8.

Sure 8 is quieter than in the past, but there is much bars on Soi 7 as there ever has been.

And the bars at the Beach Road end of both Sois, are some of the busiest bars in town.

I predict the Doom Merchants will still be going on about this in another 20 years.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

For the last couple of decades, people have gone on about the death of Soi 7 & 8.

Sure 8 is quieter than in the past, but there is much bars on Soi 7 as there ever has been.

And the bars at the Beach Road end of both Sois, are some of the busiest bars in town.

I predict the Doom Merchants will still be going on about this in another 20 years.

Did you miss the part about the bar being given away FOR FREE, and still no takers?

35 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Couple of decades ago the Chinese and Indian invasions did not exist. The game has changed.

I am talking about Soi 7 & 8 and what I see, and have seen.

Why you are going on about invasions and the like, I have no idea.

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I predict the Doom Merchants will still be going on about this in another 20 years

I would have gone a long with 3 or 4 years, but not twenty. Things are changing too much and a bit faster than that.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I would have gone a long with 3 or 4 years, but not twenty. Things are changing too much and a bit faster than that.

Change? .... around Soi 7 & 8 ?

Sure, as with all other areas, a few closings and a few openings.

But change?

Edited by TaaSaparot