Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

2 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I just passed the big free empty area where the Excite Disco was (3rd Road). Free not anymore. They build many buildings there. Seem to be a lot of small shops and food stalls and perhaps some "entertainment facilities". Looks promising. It is like in real life. Some things disappear and new ones are created...

Yes, impressive, and doesn't look cheap.

I mean these are not a few steal pillars, with a zinc roof.

23 hours ago, Leaver said:

Interesting post.

Admittedly, I have sat at a table in Retox when a big match was on and saw an old geezer watch the whole match over only one cup of tea.  He was probably of an age that was not too familiar with internet streaming.  That said, I have seen lot of alcohol flowing there when the place has been rammed for big games, but I do take your point. 

So, if a popular sports bar struggles in Pattaya, and was for sale pre Covid, what business model would / could prosper here? 

The use of apps has disrupted the traditional lady drink / bar fine business model. 

Apps have had little or no impact on girls services. That's just a myth. Nick at NVTV ON YOU TUBE HAS JUST done a v very good video on the ten most well known bars that have just closed

• Like 2

I've notice a big increase in the number of Mercedes Benz  driving around the Pattaya /Jomtien area

can't help but think that the owners are looking to get their hands on some cheap assets due to the dire situation at the moment.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I just passed the big free empty area where the Excite Disco was (3rd Road). Free not anymore. They build many buildings there. Seem to be a lot of small shops and food stalls and perhaps some "entertainment facilities". Looks promising. It is like in real life. Some things disappear and new ones are created...

Soi Excite is not a good place for a market.....I would NEVER open a shop there.... 

45 minutes ago, Nout said:

Apps have had little or no impact on girls services. That's just a myth. Nick at NVTV ON YOU TUBE HAS JUST done a v very good video on the ten most well known bars that have just closed

Shows we are all different, I won't miss any of those. Good video though

11 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Soi Excite is not a good place for a market.....I would NEVER open a shop there.... 

19 years ago Soi Bukhao was a soil way on many places.

Pretty sure some didn't want to invest there at all.

This is of course no guarantee that the " Excite Market" will be a success.

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

Just saw this big bar with a plane outside in Soi Buakhao was closed (but was still afternoon) and is for rent. 

16018071296520.jpg

Never really took off (pun) half a dozen bars when it first opened gradually whittling down to just a couple before it paid the Covid price....more to come...the one on the right in the pic for one...rarely do I see many customers :sad:

33 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Here is a video of the project. In the meantime they built a lot more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nout said:

A realistic video of the current situation. 

Question is, for how long can a bar be "mothballed" before it simply never reopens?  

Edited by Leaver

4 hours ago, johng said:

I've notice a big increase in the number of Mercedes Benz  driving around the Pattaya /Jomtien area

can't help but think that the owners are looking to get their hands on some cheap assets due to the dire situation at the moment.

Or checking if the business operating out of their property can now afford to pay full rent.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nout said:

Apps have had little or no impact on girls services. That's just a myth.

I disagree.  

During the lock down, apps were widely used.  That will carry on, post Covid, which means lost business for your traditional lady drink / bar fine business model bars.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

As usual, success will depend on the rent charged.  

The footfall is even more important. The market (which he disses) at the end of Soi Buakhao is served by a large car park on market days and gets pretty full. Little or no parking near this project.

I just came back from a longer evening walk in Central Pattaya at around 10 pm. The Pook Plaza (the bar with the plane) was closed. Most of the other bars especially in the made in Thailand area up to the Soi Buakhao crossing had no customers. But some bars still had many girls. Sometimes you see a lonely unhappy looking farang sitting in the bars - I guess the owner.

To my surprise the girls still had good mood and entertained themselves. One bar had a balloon party with food and band. Not one balloon chaser but happy dancing girls. At the Cocktail Car at Tree Town only young ladies as customers - I guess as bait for real customers. And the Zero Bar was despite a massive price increase almost full. Now all beer is 40 Baht. If I remember correctly it was only 39 Baht not so long ago. Soi LK Metro I did not check.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shows we are all different, I won't miss any of those. Good video though

I would definitely miss The Bamboo - probably went there at least twice a week "looking" and "finding".

As for PBG - I was actually at their opening night - friend of mine was a friend of the then owner "Pattaya Pete". 

Sad.....

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

19 years ago Soi Bukhao was a soil way on many places.

Pretty sure some didn't want to invest there at all.

This is of course no guarantee that the " Excite Market" will be a success.

Please explain "soil way". 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, rott said:

I recognise your opposition to "grammar nazis" but is encouraging illiteracy the answer.?

For a small recent example is it Soi Excite or Soi Exzyte. 

Does it really help people to continue to tolerate this.? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

Please explain "soil way". 

dirt track. unpaved road. i can add if needed. you were not there then but should understand, it's as narrow (almost) as a soi. that is what it was. not a thanon. between 2nd and 3rd road, it was a lane/ alley/ soi. not a major thoroughfare. dirt track or soil way. i got it. we all got it . except...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

I recognise your opposition to "grammar nazis" but is encouraging illiteracy the answer.?

ok. i lived near there in the day. it's X-zite. been there many a time. best was lo-so of course. grammar nazi's can rest in peace. thanks rott.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, polpott said:

The footfall is even more important. The market (which he disses) at the end of Soi Buakhao is served by a large car park on market days and gets pretty full. Little or no parking near this project.

Actually they are removing the parking that was! Not sure this will be a hit or miss as I can't figure out what it might end up as.... something like the seafood market at Ang Sila? If for the Thai 'market', it lacks parking.

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Actually they are removing the parking that was! Not sure this will be a hit or miss as I can't figure out what it might end up as.... something like the seafood market at Ang Sila? If for the Thai 'market', it lacks parking.

Exactly. Always parked on the waste ground when visiting Bake 'n Brew. Its been closed off for several months now and parking on Soi Xzite is a nightmare. Shudder to think what it will be like when the market is up and running.

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Come on now...look at the market plans...carefully designed and drawn out....surely you do not expect them to think about car parking also TIT....:unsure:

10 hours ago, rott said:

8 hours ago, jastheace said:

ok. i lived near there in the day. it's X-zite. been there many a time. best was lo-so of course. grammar nazi's can rest in peace. thanks rott.

Xzyte

7DSCF0239.JPG.e82aa6ac194bcaa8998da6b1033a6586.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Oldie said:

I just came back from a longer evening walk in Central Pattaya at around 10 pm. The Pook Plaza (the bar with the plane) was closed. Most of the other bars especially in the made in Thailand area up to the Soi Buakhao crossing had no customers. But some bars still had many girls. Sometimes you see a lonely unhappy looking farang sitting in the bars - I guess the owner.

To my surprise the girls still had good mood and entertained themselves. One bar had a balloon party with food and band. Not one balloon chaser but happy dancing girls. At the Cocktail Car at Tree Town only young ladies as customers - I guess as bait for real customers. And the Zero Bar was despite a massive price increase almost full. Now all beer is 40 Baht. If I remember correctly it was only 39 Baht not so long ago. Soi LK Metro I did not check.

I walked along SB at 20.30 and have never seen it so quiet. Saw a number in the Zero but far from packed. Perhaps many were at home watching the football, they certainly weren't in the Sports Bar I was in an hour or so later. Never seen that so empty either. 

Sad to report that at 23.30 the kebab sellers on Soi Diana were packed up and ready for home a few hours early. Luckily the pie gaff in LK was still open. LK itself was quieter than normal with a few places closed. Far from deserted though. 

Edited by rott

12 hours ago, jastheace said:

dirt track. unpaved road. i can add if needed. you were not there then but should understand, it's as narrow (almost) as a soi. that is what it was. not a thanon. between 2nd and 3rd road, it was a lane/ alley/ soi. not a major thoroughfare. dirt track or soil way. i got it. we all got it . except...

And I certainly did not, despite being here in those long ago days before it was developed. Never heard the expression before. 

But most of my time then was spent in a bar in Soi Yamato, only really venturing out when the Diana Dragon broke the mould by selling cheap ale.