Thai Elite Visa

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Is staying the 6th year on it still possible or has there been a crackdown on that sort of a loophole? A member here said he was told by an Elite representative that you can't do that anymore. I find that hard to believe but just checking.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I haven't heard that one, in fact I seem to recall somebody confirming a few weeks back that they'd come about 1 week before the end of their 5 years & had been stamped in for 1 year from their date of arrival (i.e. got an almost 6th year).

I do know that if you do go past the end of the 5 years, you must get a Re-entry permit if you planned to leave/re-enter the country - Could what you heard be something to do with that?

OP I'm considering this as well, all depends on how my Retirement extension goes next week, i.e. If I have any problem getting the extension then I've not got time to mess about (Need to be back in Singapore for work) so I'll just apply for TE

Anybody know how long the application process is nowadays, it used to be 1-2 weeks but I've heard it's considerably longer than that nowadays.

Edit to add: The Application form for the PE 5 Year says "Privilege Entry Visa; 5-year multiple entry visa with extendable 1-year length of stay per entry" - So it sounds like they are still offering a full 1 year stamp even if you've less than 1 year left of your membership [NB assuming you don't have less than 1 year left on your passport]

Edited by Mike Teavee

The 1 year stamp is not their offering, it's simply how visas work.

I have the elite visa since 3 years or so, it works great. 

Keep in mind the annoying tm30 and 90 day reporting still has to be done, so it's less hassle but there is still a bit of hassle.

i would recommend the 20 year visa for 1 mio THB tho, it's in my eyes the better value for money. The 24 Limo trips you get per year are only worth it if u travel each month, but on the other hand you can just get a grab taxi from and to the airport.

Financially it's almost a no-brainer if you want to spend a lot of time in Thailand and don't qualify otherwise (for any other long-term visa/extension).

But immigration and the question whether you can trust them aside, I have my doubts if Thailand will still have much of its appeal left in another five years. Looking how things have developed in the past five years, that is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharp said:

After much thought decided to go the Elite (PE) vs Retirement (1mill x20 year).

Weighted up pros n cons and the discount offered by Elite which actually wasn't much to be honest £1000+@ present exchange rate.

Funnily enough it was a 'visa agent' friend I've know for years who tipped the scales in favour of Elite when he said and I quote 'if I had the money I would do Elite because he feels maybe not now but later on its going to get alot harder for all long term visa holders and agents and although immigration can enforce new laws at as they like he feels PE visas will be left relatively alone.

Anyway that's me done and don't want to get into the TM shenanigans or any other hoops we jump through.

It's a personal decision and one I'm happy with

Best of luck to all in their decision.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Did you get a discount because you're renewing or is this available to 1st timers

£1,000 discount would take a little bit out of the sting of today's exchange rates 

Edited by Mike Teavee

Thing to consider, if you are suspected of a crime (even if not found guilty) they could and most likely will cancel your elite visa anyway.

The driving license with elite visa is valid only for 2 years, you will have to renew it 3 times in 5 years then. Quite annoying.

TM30 and 90 days report still mandatory, and no help from the elite support for the TM30 whatsoever.

Being elite is for now hassle free to pass immigration, 90% of the time 0 questions asked, the other 10% they could ask what you are doing in Thailand but whatever you answer as long as it's not illegal they will let you in.