Deputy chief of anti-graft body caught concealing assets

snoop1130

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Will be interesting to hear the real reason for him beinf pulled up. Call me cynical if you will be there is ni chance he has been fingered because of undisclosed wealth. He must be suspected of or done something wrong. Perhaps links found to anti Government side.. will be good knowing the full story if ever.

Or maybe he had threatened to expose others with billions of baht stolen from the country.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, nong38 said:

I am sure that the top Thais have nothing to worry about and if that is the case they should be able to declare ALL their assets, it would be a good lead if the Government would be the first to declare to the population all their assets in an effort to encourage others to come forward, transparency and rooting out corruption is what the PM has been about for the last 6 years, time for a time check on how he is doing, I think he is doing a great job.

A great post with the exception of your final 8 words.

Yes, I would like to see P and P declare "ALL their assets".

51 minutes ago, neeray said:

My first friend in Thailand purchased a 1 million baht townhouse outside of Surat Thani.

She worked very freaking hard to earn this money and has paid the house off and given title to her adult children. I'm damn proud of this girl and her accomplishment.

Thus, when I read stories such as this (OP), my mind immediately equates the value of this "flat" in London to be equal to 200 (two freaking hundred) houses like my friend's. What a corrupt, greedy, slimy, trough-feeding pig he is.

Hi - I usually start to feel the same.

Then I consider that, if your friend is anything like an average Thai, would she be corrupt just like so many other Thais if she had the opportunity?

I think the answer to that question says much.

34 minutes ago, neeray said:

A great post with the exception of your final 8 words.

Yes, I would like to see P and P declare "ALL their assets".

But if all Thais  did that it would no doubt make the Nigerians look like a bunch of amateur embezzlers and Kim Jung-Un kind and considerate to his nations poor.

1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

Then I consider that, if your friend is anything like an average Thai, would she be corrupt just like so many other Thais if she had the opportunity?

Unfortunately when the Thai social and education systems brainwash Thais from birth it is thus considered normal to kowtow to those above that say they are better than you and when an opportunity does arise by some chance for to better yourself then it is felt to be the dutiful thing to cheat  on those you have risen above. Its Thai culture these days unfortunately, for many of the population.

With this stash I think its fair to say he is known as uncle graft now or he must have sold a lot of noodle soup from his cart outside 7/11 but you have to feel sorry for him just think how much he has lost on the junk pound ????

27 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I know my friend intimately well. The answer to your question is a resounding NO !

It is regrettable that you have such a jaundiced view of Thais in general. We must keep different company. I know many Thais who are just as upstanding and non-corruptible as my friend.

13 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

any ethics he would have stood aside the minute the investigation was launched

ethics would also mean the PM would have ordered he stand aside

can the undeclared assets, if found to have been the spoils of corruption or unexplained wealth be seized?

Yup. They can, and then they can be distributed fairly.......... 

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"...nobody is in a position to do anything".

That is apparently not the case...

"The deputy chief of the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) has been indicted for allegedly concealing his assets..."

Meaningless unless it delivers a prosecution and sentence,  he can buy his way out of this, it's the Thai way. 

55 minutes ago, neeray said:

I know my friend intimately well. The answer to your question is a resounding NO !

It is regrettable that you have such a jaundiced view of Thais in general. We must keep different company. I know many Thais who are just as upstanding and non-corruptible as my friend.

Your opinions about your friends is no doubt better informed than mine would be about your friends.

However, we would never really know how incorruptible they are unless we could somehow test the assertion. 

It's no secret that Thailand is pervasively corrupt and that the positive societal attitude toward corruption encourages it. We are then left to set our own expectations. 

I expect all but a very small percentage to deny corrupt opportunities if given the chance. 

13 hours ago, Lungstib said:

No mention of what he did before being a member of the NCCC. Just where was he operating, what was he involved in to obtain such wealth? The concealing is bad enough but surely its more important to discover how he got what he was trying to hide. Or doesn't that matter?

No it doesn't matter. It's endemic in Thai society....and is actually admired.

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Did you read the OP?

Yes I did - problem is you're just not thinking far enough.

They should follow the money trail further - how did he come by this wealth?

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The NCCC secretary-general said he was not concerned by the lawsuit and was ready to fight the case in court.

He will have no problem with that, just bring a well-filled 'lunch box' to the judge.

Lets forget what he has amassed, and concentrate from where, you wonder why thai people have little going for them and appear not to fight for a better life by hard work or taking a few little chances to do well, they must be completely demoralised by this report and have lived with this all there lives, shame on these so called leaders

Archived