Do I need a work permit to rent out a property

Good Morning,

I have trawled through pages but cannot find anything related to this.

I am living in Thailand on an Non O extension based on marriage. 

My wife and I are downsizing properties and want to rent out our current villa. The villa is registered with the land office in my name. We have an American friend who wishes to rent it out long term. As I understand it I will need to initially register him at the address as per the TM30 rules. However, my question is, and apologies if it appears stupid, will I require a work permit to rent out the property. 

Thanks in advance for any advice,

AFJ

To "manage" a property you would need a work permit. You may of course outsource the "management" to a Thai.

So just give a power of attorney for all matters regarding the property to your wife, and then she can be the manager and put her name on everything.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jackdd,

Many thanks for your reply.

We have a Thai  friend who works in a real estate office, and she will be the point of contact for management, receiving rent payments etc. in a private capacity. She is on the rental agreement as a representative, so I guess she can be deemed to be our management. P.O.A. for the Wife is a good idea too, never thought of that....:thumbsup:

All we need to do now is sort out this TM30 fiasco as every time I read an article I am getting different scenarios !!!!

5 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Hi Jackdd,

Many thanks for your reply.

We have a Thai  friend who works in a real estate office, and she will be the point of contact for management, receiving rent payments etc. in a private capacity. She is on the rental agreement as a representative, so I guess she can be deemed to be our management. P.O.A. for the Wife is a good idea too, never thought of that....:thumbsup:

All we need to do now is sort out this TM30 fiasco as every time I read an article I am getting different scenarios !!!!

Yeah that's totally fine.

As he's your friend, just tell give him a power of attorney to report himself for tm30 stuff, u can find it here: 

you can also give it to the property managment company and tell them to report him, not sure they want to be bothered with that tho.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

However, my question is, and apologies if it appears stupid, will I require a work permit to rent out the property. 

No, as long as you don’t have anything to do with managing the tenancy.

There’s nothing stopping your wife managing the property on your behalf.  

• Like 1

I have rented out many properties here. Or should I say....the agent that gets the customer (tennant) for me  rents it out. I'm totally "hands off". Never ever even meet the person living in the condos.

Nothing to do with "work permits" the thought of a work permit never entered my head.

I rented out my first property myself (101 m2 corner unit) to an Italian Lady and her "maid". She called me at 3AM on morning to come and unblock the toilet (blocked with sanitary towels).

Periodically after that she would call me to sweep the leaves off the balcony from overhanging trees.

From that first experience on I gladly gave an agent their 10% commission....(Money well spent).

• Like 1