Thailand Among Top Three Asia-Pacific Nations for Financial Fraud, Google Reports

webfact

image.jpeg

File photo for reference only. 

Google's latest Bad Apps Report ranks Thailand, Singapore, and India as the top three countries in the Asia-Pacific region most affected by financial fraud scams in 2023.

Aman Dayal, the Asia-Pacific head of trust & safety operations for Google Play, confirmed this during an online media briefing. Due to over 90% smartphone penetration rates and growing disrespect for higher authorities, these countries are attracting fraudsters. 

The digital literacy gap also contributes as older citizens are more likely to fall prey to deceptive messages and risky apps. Google’s survey identified the 25-34 age bracket in Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam as the most at risk. Hence, Google improved its Message feature in these countries where scams rates surged last year. 

Google Play Store's real-time scanning, launched first in Asia-Pacific, detected over five million new malicious apps, offering global user protection. Google Play Protect, which blocks harmful apps, was introduced in Singapore and Thailand. 

For 2023, the Bank of Thailand noted phishing apps disguised as banks led to losses over a billion baht. Annabelle Chow, a clinical psychologist, acknowledged the consequent emotional trauma, emphasizing the need for empathy, open discussions about scams, and enhanced digital security measures. 

Google reported it prevented 2.28 million policy-violating apps from getting published on Google Play, and blocked 333,000 malicious developer accounts in 2023. It continues to invest in machine learning systems and improved app review processes to fight scammers.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-30

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

As an adjunct to this story, I was recently advised by NatWest International, a UK offshore bank, that "Thailand is a jurisdiction in which we cannot accept government documents from for providence."

Says it all really.

I always thought Singapore was squeaky clean, but they've had some recent, high-profile scandals that's lifted the lid on things in southeast Asia's 5-star fascist police state.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Looks like the source was an article today in the Bangkok Post.

Can't quote or link to BKK Post articles on the forum, per forum rules.... But AI can.

"16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW."

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

However, what the original source actually reported is a bit different from the OP here.

The original source only quoted a Google guy as saying that in 2023, they saw a significant surge in financial fraud scams in Singapore, Thailand and India. There's no talk in the Post report of any kind of top countries ranking.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Google's latest Bad Apps Report ranks Thailand, Singapore, and India as the top three countries in the Asia-Pacific region most affected by financial fraud scams in 2023.

nice to see that Thailand is in the top 3 for something at last!..

bob.

Edited by bob smith

Well I cannot totally blame Thailand because one of the two fraudsters was an Aussie. They got me for a quarter million dollars in an investment in a resort in the salt well area of Nan province. Do not trust anybody especially so called friends.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is sadly very lacking in online fraud and applying measures to reduce it, they are very much on the back foot.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looks like the source was an article today in the Bangkok Post.

Can't quote or link to BKK Post articles on the forum, per forum rules.... But AI can.

"16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW."

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

However, what the original source actually reported is a bit different from the OP here.

The original source only quoted a Google guy as saying that in 2023, they saw a significant surge in financial fraud scams in Singapore, Thailand and India. There's no talk in the Post report of any kind of top countries ranking.

How many times do we have to check, double check, triple back check, before we can be certain that we are reading a True Bona Fide source of CORRECT Information  ?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, rovinman said:

How many times do we have to check, double check, triple back check, before we can be certain that we are reading a True Bona Fide source of CORRECT Information  ?

Right now, for reports posted here, you're not ENTITLED to know where the news comes from or who produced it at its original source.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Right now, for reports posted here, you're not ENTITLED to know where the news comes from or who produced it at its original source.

Er, I think we are. Otherwise, as Hitchens said, "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." So nothing you read here is believable. Just as I always thought. It's just a daily roundup of articles mainly from other English language sources. If the sources aren't quoted, the whole forum becomes utterly meaningless.

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Er, I think we are. Otherwise, as Hitchens said, "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." So nothing you read here is believable. Just as I always thought. It's just a daily roundup of articles mainly from other English language sources. If the sources aren't quoted, the whole forum becomes utterly meaningless.

Sorry, I didn't mean to convey that "I" don't think people are entitled to know the sources of their "news". I absolutely do.

I meant to convey that those conveying the AI stuff here don't seem to believe that we are entitled to know the original source of the "news" before it was fed into the sausage maker.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to convey that "I" don't think people are entitled to know the sources of their "news". I absolutely do.

I meant to convey that those conveying the AI stuff here don't seem to believe that we are entitled to know the original source of the "news" before it was fed into the sausage maker.

Ah, point taken.

"Hello beautiful unmarried Thai spinster.  I am very rich Nigerian American man and very handsome too.  I'm having trouble paying the freight fees to send my pallet of $100 bills to Thailand.  If you could just send me your life savings, we can get married when I arrive in Bangkok after which I will buy you a Benz and we'll move to London and live the life of jet-setters.  Remember my love, this could be you!"

Infographic-Debt-One-Million-on-a-pallet-625229577.jpg.d92f588c6001ebd04c92a191ef241cc0.jpg

And they fall for it again and again and again and again and again - because? 
Greed has no limits for either party.