Vietnam is a big rip off

OzMan

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Went 4x in the last year, always got the bus from the airport ($1 Saigon, 25c Da Nang, $2 HaNoi).

No scams, cigarette lady wanted $20 for a bag of cannabis, but I knew it only cost $10.

One trip AirAsia rescheduled my flight to the next day, 2 months warning no big deal (retn flight was only 2,500bht).

Think I was overcharged $2 for a food tour in HaNoi.

Beer was really cheap on all the trips, hotels and homestays about $15/night.

I enjoyed each trip, did lots of sightseeing, Hang Mua was particularly impressive.

IMG_20191006_090045.jpg

Totally nice pic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CuriousKen said:

I have just got back.

I am not sure if I will return.

Ripoffs everywhere, usually small, like charging me for a wet wipe in a cafe, which I used because there were no paper napkins.

To big rip offs, such as VietJet cancelled my return trip with out notice.

I had to buy another ticket on Air Asia.

i had the same problem 10 years ago, had to be on your guard the whole time. Vietnam had that reputation back in 1998 maybe a lot further back 

Edited by scubascuba3

On 8/18/2019 at 7:59 AM, BritManToo said:

I always use the bus, wherever I am.

Vietnam has an android app for each city, showing routes and bus in real time.

5,000VND (25c) for all local trips, 20,000VND for out of town trips.

Never encountered a taxi driver that wasn't a low life criminal, in any city of the world.

We obviously never met.....in Plymouth, lol.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Went 4x in the last year, always got the bus from the airport ($1 Saigon, 25c Da Nang, $2 HaNoi).

No scams, cigarette lady wanted $20 for a bag of cannabis, but I knew it only cost $10.

One trip AirAsia rescheduled my flight to the next day, 2 months warning no big deal (retn flight was only 2,500bht).

Think I was overcharged $2 for a food tour in HaNoi.

Beer was really cheap on all the trips, hotels and homestays about $15/night.

I enjoyed each trip, did lots of sightseeing, Hang Mua was particularly impressive.

IMG_20191006_090045.jpg

Much nicer when they stick out of crystal clear tropical waters. I know where I would want to be! 

long-tail-boats-at-the-beach-in-front-of-grandiose-karst-rock-formation-DADGJD-2.jpg

Edited by madmen

50 minutes ago, madmen said:

I see some hills and grass. 

Yes.

It is something I do not get.

Talking and bragging about a place that has hills, grass, nature and maybe some waterfalls. So what.

All seems a total bore after an hour.

Also, about Vietnam and its rip off.

I will not say the word they are known for, not PC.

But amongst those that know the place they in fact are well known for scam and rip off.  The whole country reminds me of a few days in Phuket. 

Fake smiles and scam a buck. Those that say No, probably have no idea they are being ripped.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

The biggest draw of Vietnam for me was getting away from Thai immigration and their seemingly endless "policies" which are a constant source of irritation for most ex-pats in Thailand. Now that Vietnam have put the kybosh on that by way of making everyone leave every 30 days, it's a no go for me. Cambodia would be my next choice if I was eventually forced out of Thailand.

vietnam:  really good food, women seem to have a better understanding of English, and I'm guessing odds of a relationship lasting might be better (I dated women from both countries).  Vietnam is a must visit.

Thailand is a must visit.  It comes down to your first impressions.  We all like different things, and different things happen to us at different times.  Vietnam had way too many motorbikes, and I don't want that in my life right now.  Thailand has worse pollution I'm guessing.  I do think Thai sounds a little more pleasant to my ears, and I like the Thai alphabet better.  

Both must visits.  you decide.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, I was in Route 66 bar with a pal feeding this young attractive female backpacker $1 Mojito's.

You are a player! I just go over to the GVGH, order 25 cent waters and amaze the girlies with some fat spliffs. They basically cost me 10 cents each using bulk purchasing and each one is good for 3 girls.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, SteveK said:

The biggest draw of Vietnam for me was getting away from Thai immigration and their seemingly endless "policies" which are a constant source of irritation for most ex-pats in Thailand.

yearly extensions and 90 day reporting, hardly big deals. I guess some retirees have very busy daily lives and don't have time for these things

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

yearly extensions and 90 day reporting, hardly big deals. I guess some retirees have very busy daily lives and don't have time for these things

On the other hand...To some its the most exciting part of their day!

I generally like Vietnam (although it's officials - immigration, customs are fierce and you won't see them smiling like Thais do). There are more scams and annoyances than in Thailand in my experience, but that's to be expected since it's a poorer country. Stay away from wet markets as they'll definitely rip you off there unless a local joins you or you speak the language very well. However, one will be pleasantly surprised that official dual pricing is rather limited nowadays in Vietnam, which is something richer Thailand could learn from.

On 2/23/2020 at 5:43 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

It is something I do not get.

Talking and bragging about a place that has hills, grass, nature and maybe some waterfalls. So what.

All seems a total bore after an hour.

Also, about Vietnam and its rip off.

I will not say the word they are known for, not PC.

But amongst those that know the place they in fact are well known for scam and rip off.  The whole country reminds me of a few days in Phuket. 

Fake smiles and scam a buck. Those that say No, probably have no idea they are being ripped.

Those limestone hills in the photo will soon be mined to make cement. Look at Google Earth near Phu Ly just south of Hanoi - the entire limestone hill chain is being destroyed to satisfy the insatiable demand for concrete.

Anyway, Thailand has hills, grass, nature and waterfalls too. And, it's a little less crowded - Thailand, 130 people per sq km, Vietnam, 300. It's like Vietnam is one collection of villages all the way from Saigon to Hanoi. Pure unspoiled nature seems to be rare - you have to head to the hills of central Vietnam to get a glimpse of somewhere without hordes of people.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 12:00 AM, Traubert said:

Been to Vietnam five times. I only live 100km from the border.

Very underwhelming and quite scruffy except round the lake in Hanoi.

$17 for a semi decent cigar. Food reasonable, coffee magnificent, the rest, meh...

Northern Vietnam in winter (which is now) experiences terrible, depressing and cold weather. No sun for 3 months. Meh...

But overall I enjoy visiting Vietnam (been there 30+ times mostly to the south, including having lived there for over a year). Just that I know living there, is not nearly as good as in Thailand. For starters...living standards are considerably lower. The houses are smaller, the roads are narrower and only rich people can afford a car, even a Toyota VIOS, which is like twice as expensive as in Thailand. So for the average expat who has a car in Thailand, you'll be trading that for a scooter should you move to Vietnam.

On 8/18/2019 at 4:17 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Vietnam was wonderful..

I went by bus from Ubon to Pakse and on to Hue.

My only problem was that I was missing a right leg so all the locals thought I was Colonel Kurtz blown up on a land mine.Strangely enough they rushed to assist me everywhere I went.

And no..I am not a veteran.

I hope you managed to get your leg over!!!!!!

????

On 2/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, drbeach said:

Northern Vietnam in winter (which is now) experiences terrible, depressing and cold weather. No sun for 3 months. Meh...

I have been there many times and always in winter (December to early March). Although it does feel chilly sometimes especially compared to most of Thailand it is usually not that bad and often very pleasant. Most of the time I don't need to wear more than a long sleeved shirt outside even though the locals wear heavy coats. For Europeans and North Americans their "cold" is nothing. Average day time tops are a bit above 20 degrees I think, and although it is not often sunny, winter is the dry season. I would rather go in winter than in summer. I don't know what it is like from experience but I assume hot and wet are the key words then.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, rabang said:

I have been there many times and always in winter (December to early March). Although it does feel chilly sometimes especially compared to most of Thailand it is usually not that bad and often very pleasant. Most of the time I don't need to wear more than a long sleeved shirt outside even though the locals wear heavy coats. For Europeans and North Americans their "cold" is nothing. Average day time tops are a bit above 20 degrees I think, and although it is not often sunny, winter is the dry season. I would rather go in winter than in summer. I don't know what it is like from experience but I assume hot and wet are the key words then.

Winter isn't the dry season in that part of Vietnam at all. It's actually quite wet. December to February is when it's cloudy and drizzly, sometimes you even get torrential rains (in Danang). Hanoi is drier, but still tends to see some drizzle during this time of year. It's dry south of Nha Trang though.

Yes of course it's not cold by European or North American standards. But if you're used to Thailand temps, where even in January up in Chiang Rai the thermometer usually reaches close to, or above 30 in the afternoon, Danang with it's 17-21 or 19-23 temperature range can feel downright chilly.

When I last went to Danang in December 2018, a period of torrential rain had just passed. A few days earlier they had record breaking flooding and I was very lucky that the worst was over, although the seas were huge and there was regular rain throughout the 3 days I spent there. Things started improving once we hit Nha Trang, although there was some rain the next morning there too. Only south of Phan Rang did the heat and sunshine return.

Edited by drbeach