Strong baht, lack of westerners, will it really hurt thailand

nomad2019

37 minutes ago, BestB said:

Your example of Huawei is ridiculous, it’s only been banned recently , wait a year or two and see which spot it would be at

Number 1. The P30 Pro is state of the art and cheap by comparison while Samsung's folding screens are a disaster. Apple are yesterdays news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This year I do think we are heading for a recession. Western tourist will continue to decrease, as much from being unofficially/officially discouraged as from the strong baht. Going to take some years of work to get that market back. The big if What will the Chinese vacation like in a recession? In a recession I would be surprised if their numbers do not dip. Last year the Chinese just took off in September. With a recession who’s to say what their numbers will be like, certainly not TAT.  :biggrin:

Does the strong baht factor in any of that??? Maybe less than people yack about.

• Confused 1

Western investment leaving would be death penalty for Thailand, western tourists / westerners not so much for Thailand as a country, the elite and middle class.
But I am sure it would hurt many of the lower income people, SME focused on tourism (let's say a good couple of million people) / many are affected already. 

Many people say it is just 13% but that does not include indirect transfers (payments for girls / families etc). 
Let's say we could make it 15-20% in total and it is actually a significant loss for any economy (if that worst case scenario plays out).

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

Chinese tourists do the boat trips,the island tours etc but I've never really seen any I'm restaurants or bars

That's because the large hotel/restaurant owners know that it's best to split the chinese from the westerners. If possible they will book them in a special part or building of the hotel and give them food they like...you won't even see them.

I also have got upgrades in hotels so they could book me to a different wing of the hotel, far away from the chinese...i didnt even ask for it and got a better room.

That's all perfect!

1 hour ago, BestB said:

In your opinion , not actual facts but carry on

Actually it's the industry's opinion simply parroted by me, but bearing in mind your total detachment from reality, we'll leave it there shall we?

If you want to argue, argue with GSMA.

37 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

For a while this year, I had a yen for Western food and Eatigo gave me cheap Hotel Buffets. I rarely saw a westerner in the buffets....always Chinese.

Go to Jumbo in Icon Siam and watch them go nuts. Or check out the Night Maket up in Huay Kwang and watch the Chinese folks pound down those buckets of seafood..... 

The high end food and shopping here in Thailand are aimed at Chinese tourists. Why? Because the food and the shopping are things they cant get at home. I, as an American, dont need to buy Tom Ford cologne at Icon Siam  for 8,000B when I can get it $20 cheaper at home...but some Chinese dude cant get it at all. 

My brat comes in from China to go shopping and eat high end food.

Western folks dont need to go to fancy restaurants  and shop for luxury goods since we have it all anyway, there are no bargains for us unless we go native.

Not the same for a Chinese girl in Sephora though....

Westerners (from Europe at least) don't need the shoppingmalls at all because Europe is sooo much better for shopping..

I don't understand ANY person who prefers Thailand above Europe unless they love to be in a chaotic filthy mess.  

Europe is soo far ahead of Thailand and even cheaper these days....why would anybody go Thai at all?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1