Ital Thai chief Premchai sentenced to six months in jail over poaching rifle

webfact

Ital Thai chief Premchai sentenced to six months in jail over poaching rifle

By THE NATION

800_6c9b1b02e1f8197.jpg?v=1566277527

File photo / Italian Thai Development president Premchai Kannasutra (centre)

Italian Thai Development president Premchai Kannasutra has been sentenced to a non-suspended six-month imprisonment for carrying hunting rifles in an infamous case in which a black panther was poached in a national park in February of last year. 

The construction tycoon admitted to the charge in a Criminal Court session today (August 20), in which the judges sentenced him to a one-year prison term, before halving it due to his confessing to the crime. Premchai was in possession of two hunting rifles and a homemade one when apprehended, according to an investigation report of Thong Pha Phum police in Kanchanaburi province.

Despite offers made on Premchai’s behalf by his defence attorney, the court refused his request for a suspended imprisonment, citing his convictions in two separate trials, both of which involve the poaching case. 

Prechai vowed to be ordained as a monk for 15 days to make merit for the King. He also pledged to donate Bt3 million for public use, as well as to swear off firearms for the rest of his life.

Turning down Premchai's offers, the judges told him that he should honour his pledges regardless of their conviction sentencing him to the six-month jail term.

The court also ordered Premchai to report to probationary officers within a 30-day period in exchange for granting him a temporary release at a Bt200,000 bail guarantee.

The Italian Thai Development executive was previously handed a suspended 16-month imprisonment by the Thong Pha Phum court for possessing the carcasses of animals other than the panther.

He was also given a one-year suspended imprisonment by an anti-corruption and malfeasance court for trying to bribe a forest ranger who caught him with a group of hunters.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375038

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-20

He confessed, had his sentence cut for doing so.. And as such is guilty, yet the court grants bail to a person they just convicted as a criminal 

If ever a system was in dire need of reform, here it is. Nauseating 

Prechai vowed to be ordained as a monk for 15 days to make merit for the King. He also pledged to donate Bt3 million for public use, as well as to swear off firearms for the rest of his life.

The wat Thais can be such hypocrite really make me laugh

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

Prechai vowed to be ordained as a monk for 15 days to make merit for the King. He also pledged to donate Bt3 million for public use, as well as to swear off firearms for the rest of his life

And there was me thinking that people made merit and donated money simply because it's a nice thing to do. I had no idea people did it looking for a reward or absolution. 

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

I wonder if he can appeal because I am sure he will if he can.

What, just like anyone else is allowed to appeal under Thai Law? It's the same thing with the person commenting about bail. Just because its abhorrent to some doesn't mean they are not subject to due process and allowed to use and abuse the system. Eventually he will run out of appeals.

I'll mention Red Bull Boy now just to get it out of the way. ????

9 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

What, just like anyone else is allowed to appeal under Thai Law? It's the same thing with the person commenting about bail. Just because its abhorrent to some doesn't mean they are not subject to due process and allowed to use and abuse the system. Eventually he will run out of appeals.

You are right but for the rich these things often end up with everyone forgetting and then getting of without punishment. I don't want to deny him his right of appeal. Just how it usually works is not good.

2 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Hey Premchai, look at the upside - prison food isn't all that good so maybe you can drop a few dozen kilos you fat <deleted>.

Unless they'll be sending him prison food to one of his mansions, he won't be eating prison food. 

12 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

For completeness are you going to mention thaksin also? 

Can’t help comparing with the forest encroachment case of which the farmer got 30 years reduced to 15 years after he confessed. Fortunately he got a royal pardon after serving 3 years. What went wrong with the justice system when the discrepancy is so absurd.  

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Italian Thai Development executive was previously handed a suspended 16-month imprisonment by the Thong Pha Phum court for possessing the carcasses of animals other than the panther.

He was also given a one-year suspended imprisonment by an anti-corruption and malfeasance court for trying to bribe a forest ranger who caught him with a group of hunters.

A suspended sentence is put in place so that if you re-offend, you serve the time.

Sooooo ...... he got 1 year suspended for bribing a forest ranger with the point being that if he re-offended he serves the year. He re-offended for possessing animal carcasses and should have served the year BUT, he got a suspended sentence for that. Ok ..... reset.  So, if he re-offends for this, he has to serve the 16 months.

Soooooo.......... he re-offends and gets 6 MONTHS!  <deleted>!

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Can’t help comparing with the forest encroachment case of which the farmer got 30 years reduced to 15 years after he confessed. Fortunately he got a royal pardon after serving 3 years. What went wrong with the justice system when the discrepancy is so absurd.  

And the reality is that unfortunately it's been full of discrepancies, lack of fairness and more for decades and under all PMs.

Roll on FF...

Just now, balo said:

I am surprised he was sentenced to jail . Maybe this is fake news.  

Just one of the lower courts.. plenty of time to go higher up and get a more favorable sentence when people have all forgotten about this.

While I am happy the court didn't listen to any of his pathetic attempts at merit making to get away from a prison sentence, I think we all know that at the end of the day, he is never going to serve a single day. There will be appeal after appeal, with a "serious" health issue no doubt making an appearance and in a very quiet judgment it will all get suspended, with some people getting richer in the process.

I feel sorry for the honest people at the Parks department, whose hard work should have seen this toad and his pals locked up already.

29 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And the reality is that unfortunately it's been full of discrepancies, lack of fairness and more for decades and under all PMs.

Roll on FF...

No disagreement. However this case takes absurdity to a new low, 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

And there was me thinking that people made merit and donated money simply because it's a nice thing to do. I had no idea people did it looking for a reward or absolution. 

6 months he should lose at least 20 kgs of fat so another donation to his life.

1 hour ago, jumbo said:

better off killing a few people than wildlife....

Just quickly and without any research, I would think the road toll each month would be far higher than the intentional and illegal killing of wild life.    

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Won't be long before I will be reading: Ital Thai has left the country, interpol have been notified, he was least seen with the heir to the Red Bull empire ????

Interpol have been notified - yeah sure, not this year or next,  you fully well know how long it takes to translate Thai documents into English. 

Archived