UK plans to end EU freedom of movement immediately in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, yogi100 said:

British and European businessmen have a lot of financial interest in our remaining in the EU. Shareholders in companies like EDF will suffer and so will their directors. 

Big business thrives on cheap imported labour. Plentiful cheap labour equals lower wages which in turn equals bigger profits.

But Joe Bloggs doesn't thrive. Instead he finds himself queuing up in the job centre and having to live on benefits. That's why he voted to quit the EU and will do so again if he has to. He no longer wants anything to do with an organisation that destroys his livelihood.

You don't hear from Joe in the media. Newspaper men and TV and radio presenters jobs do not go to Eastern Europeans. Joe's job will if it hasn't already done so. You won't hear Joe's take on the matter  on the BBC, Sky News or LBC cos they're not interested in his opinion. In their minds along with the minds of the politicians he's just working class scum whose opinion counts for nothing.

AGREE 1000% the eu bs was sold to the masses as the holy grail of humanity where in real it was a great way to increase big bucks business profits through slave wages and free imports..great way to go boris ..on the other hand we need a europaen minimum wage applicable from gb to ukraine which should be calculated on the basis of rents in the big capitals...

On 8/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, yogi100 said:

British and European businessmen have a lot of financial interest in our remaining in the EU. Shareholders in companies like EDF will suffer and so will their directors. 

Big business thrives on cheap imported labour. Plentiful cheap labour equals lower wages which in turn equals bigger profits.

But Joe Bloggs doesn't thrive. Instead he finds himself queuing up in the job centre and having to live on benefits. That's why he voted to quit the EU and will do so again if he has to. He no longer wants anything to do with an organisation that destroys his livelihood.

You don't hear from Joe in the media. Newspaper men and TV and radio presenters jobs do not go to Eastern Europeans. Joe's job will if it hasn't already done so. You won't hear Joe's take on the matter  on the BBC, Sky News or LBC cos they're not interested in his opinion. In their minds along with the minds of the politicians he's just working class scum whose opinion counts for nothing.

I forgot which country pushed for the admission of Eastern European countries and opened its border early while other countries tried to delay as much as possible the arrival of Eastern European workers...

One question: please explain how a low-tax hub of free trade agreements worldwide (it seems to be the Brexit model) will improve Joe's situation?

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed I was. Powell's predictions were spectacularly wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have to admit that I know relatively little about Powell, but the brexit vote proved him partially right to a small extent?

i.e many brits. are being affected by (pretty much) uncontrolled immigration -  and this was a large part of the reason for the brexit vote as it is keeping wages as low as possible.

Additionally, more than a few areas are seeing other ethnicities becoming the majority, and taking over those areas....

6 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Have to admit that I know relatively little about Powell, but the brexit vote proved him partially right to a small extent?

i.e many brits. are being affected by (pretty much) uncontrolled immigration -  and this was a large part of the reason for the brexit vote as it is keeping wages as low as possible.

Additionally, more than a few areas are seeing other ethnicities becoming the majority, and taking over those areas....

For those coming from outside the EU, Brexit would have no effect on the migration numbers. The EU has never had the ablity to dictate UK policies on migrants from outside the EU.

Furthermore, they have helped to protect our boders. UK immigration officials are permanently posted in Calais/Sangatte and work closely with their French counterparts in preventing illegal immigrants from crossing the channel.

I worry that this close co-operation may change were we to leave the EU.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't forget Boris the aliens having the right visa, work permit, £10,000 in a UK bank if married or £20,000 if single, no NHS treatment free, also report to immigration every 90 days, can't own land etc etc. ????

I know you were joking, but sounds about right to me - although the limits you describe are far lower than those applicable in Thailand....

22 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

For those coming from outside the EU, Brexit would have no effect on the migration numbers. The EU has never had the ablity to dictate UK policies on migrants from outside the EU.

Furthermore, they have helped to protect our boders. UK immigration officials are permanently posted in Calais/Sangatte and work closely with their French counterparts in preventing illegal immigrants from crossing the channel.

I worry that this close co-operation may change were we to leave the EU.

So you're trying to pretend that there hasn't been a huge migration of people from far poorer EU countries into the UK?

But of course not, you're trying to focus on immigrants from outside the EU....

Edit - and I particularly liked your comment "For those coming from outside the EU"????  Do you seriously think that many outside of the EU care very much other than the opportunities it may provide, and the possible consequences of the EU collapsing????

26 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

So you're trying to pretend that there hasn't been a huge migration of people from far poorer EU countries into the UK?

But of course not, you're trying to focus on immigrants from outside the EU....

The conversation began with Enoch Powel. He specificall targetted those from South Asia and the Carribean for his vitriol. You also referred to "other ethnicities". Very few "other ethnicities", from within the EU, migrate to the UK.

Sorry, I don't understand the relevance of your last paragraph.

6 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

You can't get out of it that easily! Most Belgians that I've met speak to me in French, including Edin Hazard's uncle who I met in a bar in Pattaya recently. The culture, to an outsider, seems pretty indistinguishable from French too.

I was staying in a hotel in Turnout the night of the Heysel stadium disaster, the staff wouldn't serve us far less speak.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:38 PM, yogi100 said:

If what you say about your everyman, Joe Bloggs, has any truth to it at all, please explain why, apart from a rise in 2008 peaking in 2011 due to the financial crisis, unemployment in the UK has been steadily falling since the early 1990s.

image.png.9732d036fb578ecd092f97b245754955.png (Source)

4 hours ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

I know you were joking, but sounds about right to me - although the limits you describe are far lower than those applicable in Thailand....

Yeah there's little I can do I just really want to see the end to brexit and just get on with it whatever, I don't believe all the doom and gloom, the EU is in a mess IMHO and whether I live to see either way or the other I don't give a damn to be honest.

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

No, it thrives on cheap labour (not nessesarily imported). If you look at your graph, the highest peak by far was in the Thatcher years when she persued a policy of creating a large bank of unemployed to keep labour costs down. Unemployment rose from 1m to 3.5 m. Expect more of the same post Brexit.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I know, once you have residence, it's for life.

And if you have residence and are not an EU citizen, you can apply for citizenship.

As far as you know, what would happen if one country changes the rules for other citizens, everything will stay the same for theirs? Comes tit for tat come to mind?

19 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:
22 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Not my words, old chap. I was quoting @yogi100, as can be seen by the quote box in my post.

19 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

If you look at your graph, the highest peak by far was in the Thatcher years when she persued a policy of creating a large bank of unemployed to keep labour costs down. Unemployment rose from 1m to 3.5 m. Expect more of the same post Brexit.

The purpose of my graph was an attempt to dispel the myth that the accession of Poland and others in 2004 and after and the influx of east European workers to the UK since has caused the mass unemployment amongst native Brits described in Yogi100's work of fiction.

Of course, Brexiteers have been shown this myth to be just that many times, but as it goes against their core prejudices about the EU they simply ignore the truth; as they do in many other areas.

Just now, 7by7 said:

Not my words, old chap. I was quoting @yogi100, as can be seen by the quote box in my post.

The purpose of my graph was an attempt to dispel the myth that the accession of Poland and others in 2004 and after and the influx of east European workers to the UK since has caused the mass unemployment amongst native Brits described in Yogi100's work of fiction.

Of course, Brexiteers have been shown this myth to be just that many times, but as it goes against their core prejudices about the EU they simply ignore the truth; as they do in many other areas.

Perhaps you should forget your graphs and get out onto the streets and see for yourself the thousands of EU folk working cash in hand, scuttling to and fro with their cash.... And DON"T ask me for a link or a graph..Get out there..

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps you should forget your graphs and get out onto the streets and see for yourself the thousands of EU folk working cash in hand, scuttling to and fro with their cash.... And DON"T ask me for a link or a graph..Get out there..

What part of the UK do you live in where you see thousands of EU folk working cash in hand and scuttling to and fro with their cash?

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

What part of the UK do you live in where you see thousands of EU folk working cash in hand and scuttling to and fro with their cash?

I was in business in London, I have friends in the building trade and we all know a lot..

How about 10 Poles in a flat for starters.....????

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Sorry, I didn't realise a public thread constituted a private conversation. Plenty of cash-in-hand activity whenever I'm in my London crash-pad

Always was. The difference being was, in the days it was dominated by British builders, a call to a Knightsbridge address was a signal to print money. People were ripped off with exhorbatant prices and shoddy work. Eastern Europeans found it easy to undercut them and do a better job. Most people in Knightsbridge are more than happy to employ Eastern European builders.

I lived in the North West and a couple of builders are friends of mine. Still fully employed and not one Eastern European trying to undercut them.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:15 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s a great idea, set the working class against the middle class, set as many as possible against immigrants. 

The hyper wealthy can then make use of all that anger and squabbling and distraction to escape forthcoming EU anti tax evasion laws.

Oh no you're completely wrong. Farage and his co conspirators want brexit for the

good of the common people, the man in the street just like him!!!

23 minutes ago, transam said:

It's easy to make such comments from your perch 6000 miles away; but when was the last time you were out on the streets of the UK?

I live in the UK, and my work takes me to all parts of the country. I don't need an expat telling me to 'get out on the streets' because that is what I do every working day!

Yes, people do work illegally, cash in hand. British workers too. I bet I am not the only one who has been offered a discount by a British tradesman for paying in cash so it didn't go through the books!

Unemployment in the UK has been on a downward trend since the early 1990s. That is a fact; despite the activities of illegal workers; British or EU nationals. 

But maybe you are upset because EU nationals working illegally have taken the illegal cash in hand work your British mates here in the UK used to do?

25 minutes ago, transam said:

I was in business in London, I have friends in the building trade and we all know a lot..

So was I right; you are upset because EU nationals are taking the illegal cash in hand work away from your mates?

26 minutes ago, transam said:

How about 10 Poles in a flat for starters.....????

How does this prove they are working illegally?

When the Surrey section of the M25 was being built I got to know some of the workers; British migrant workers from other parts of the UK. They lived 6 to a caravan on sites provided by the contractors. Does this prove they were working illegally? Of course not; because they weren't.

On 8/25/2019 at 7:32 AM, candide said:

I forgot which country pushed for the admission of Eastern European countries and opened its border early while other countries tried to delay as much as possible the arrival of Eastern European workers...

One question: please explain how a low-tax hub of free trade agreements worldwide (it seems to be the Brexit model) will improve Joe's situation?

Millions of cheap workers from Eastern Europe have seriously affected Joe's financial welfare.

We have more people not working than ever before, more getting in work benefits, tax credits. We have food banks accessible by working people on small money and the zero hours contract is a convenient way of saying that someone can get paid nothing if there is no work for him to do that day, week or month or ever.

Seeing as how you brought the matter up how about you explaining how a low-tax hub of free trade agreements worldwide will improve Joe's situation whether it's a Brexit model or not.

24 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So was I right; you are upset because EU nationals are taking the illegal cash in hand work away from your mates?

How does this prove they are working illegally?

When the Surrey section of the M25 was being built I got to know some of the workers; British migrant workers from other parts of the UK. They lived 6 to a caravan on sites provided by the contractors. Does this prove they were working illegally? Of course not; because they weren't.

How can a British work compete with 10 people in a house , if they pay any Tax or community tax, When a Maried guy of 30 has a couple of kids and is on a No hours Contract, On minimum wages , if all the Company's and Farmers paid a living wage British workers would step forward, fact. Nothing to do with legality.

23 hours ago, 7by7 said:

If what you say about your everyman, Joe Bloggs, has any truth to it at all, please explain why, apart from a rise in 2008 peaking in 2011 due to the financial crisis, unemployment in the UK has been steadily falling since the early 1990s.

image.png.9732d036fb578ecd092f97b245754955.png (Source)

They are government figures published to keep the population convinced that their policies are successful and that "immigration benefits the economy".

The figures they don't publish are those that admit that there are now 8.6 million people in the UK of WORKING AGE who are classed as economically inactive.

They are figures quoted by the ONS (Office for National Statistics). You explain that. If you can. They can't all be housewives or crippled or sick and incapable of work!

Edit. The ONS is a government department as is the dept that tells you we have 1.4 million people unemployed.

Archived