Best Visa Type

Your best option would be a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) that would allow unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. You can extend each 60 day entry for 30 days at a immigration office. Then after the extension you would have to leave an reenter the country for a new 60 day entry.

You can get almost 9 months of total stay from a METV by getting a new 60 day entry on or before the date it expires and then extending it for 30 days.

A single entry tourist visa would allow one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. After that 90 days you would have to go to a nearby embassy or consulate for a new visa.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 6:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

Your best option would be a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) that would allow unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. You can extend each 60 day entry for 30 days at a immigration office. Then after the extension you would have to leave an reenter the country for a new 60 day entry.

You can get almost 9 months of total stay from a METV by getting a new 60 day entry on or before the date it expires and then extending it for 30 days.

A single entry tourist visa would allow one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. After that 90 days you would have to go to a nearby embassy or consulate for a new visa.

Thanks for the info. I will obtain the METV from a Thai Embassy in the US, correct? Also, what could you tell me about healthcare and health insurance in Thailand? Is out of pocket medical cost low enough to consider going uninsured? I am healthy and at most should need an IV or medication/prescription. If I break my leg I would probably fly back...

21 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

Thanks for the info. I will obtain the METV from a Thai Embassy in the US, correct? Also, what could you tell me about healthcare and health insurance in Thailand? Is out of pocket medical cost low enough to consider going uninsured? I am healthy and at most should need an IV or medication/prescription. If I break my leg I would probably fly back...

If you break a leg you would struggle!

Most would arrive with travel insurance, (from home country) but it is not obligatory. Medical expenses are not cheap from my perspective, but would be from a USA persons. As to the cost, a hospital visit for something minor to obtain a prescription may be 2000-4000 baht, a broken limb with setting could cost you 30,000-50,000 baht. A serious injury (motorcycle accidents seem to be a common reason), you could run to millions. 

With an METV also, there is a risk of entry denial as you have to leave and enter every two/three months. If you want to subject yourself to humiliation and inconveniences, then you can choose a land border crossing (avoiding Poipet) for each entry for safe bet.   There is no renewal of any type of visa. Visa is used to enter the country (it cannot be renewed). Only your permitted  to stay in the country can be extended further for another 30-day for each entry. If you don't know the difference between a visa and permitted to stay date, I would suggest first you educate yourself on this two aspect, especially w.r.t Thailand's visa and permitted to stay date. 

Edited by onera1961

On 9/1/2019 at 7:30 PM, jacko45k said:

If you break a leg you would struggle!

Most would arrive with travel insurance, (from home country) but it is not obligatory. Medical expenses are not cheap from my perspective, but would be from a USA persons. As to the cost, a hospital visit for something minor to obtain a prescription may be 2000-4000 baht, a broken limb with setting could cost you 30,000-50,000 baht. A serious injury (motorcycle accidents seem to be a common reason), you could run to millions. 

It's actually pretty affordable. Its about what you would expect a bill from a US hospital should be... Thanks for the info! I ultimately see investment opportunities and would maybe like to someday retire in Thailand. With that being said, how do I obtain the METV from the Embassy vs a single entry visa? I cant say it's for educational purposes because I am only living abroad and not studying abroad until I reach a US University level. 

On 9/1/2019 at 7:56 PM, onera1961 said:

With an METV also, there is a risk of entry denial as you have to leave and enter every two/three months. If you want to subject yourself to humiliation and inconveniences, then you can choose a land border crossing (avoiding Poipet) for each entry for safe bet.   There is no renewal of any type of visa. Visa is used to enter the country (it cannot be renewed). Only your permitted  to stay in the country can be extended further for another 30-day for each entry. If you don't know the difference between a visa and permitted to stay date, I would suggest first you educate yourself on this two aspect, especially w.r.t Thailand's visa and permitted to stay date. 

Is there any link or site you would recommend that has Thailands specific policies? I began reading the U.S's policies. But first things first. Do I even want a multiple entry visa? Let's just say I want to stay for a year and I would like to travel but if it complicates my citizenship then no go. Im really coming to study/live for a year and maybe someday invest and retire like many others. I also may want to travel or come back to the US during summer. 

3 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

It's actually pretty affordable. Its about what you would expect a bill from a US hospital should be... Thanks for the info! I ultimately see investment opportunities and would maybe like to someday retire in Thailand. With that being said, how do I obtain the METV from the Embassy vs a single entry visa? I cant say it's for educational purposes because I am only living abroad and not studying abroad until I reach a US University level. 

There has recently been an announcement that public hospitals can now legally charge much higher fees for foreigners than previously, not that they didn't already. This highlights the 2-level system here of hospitals. You would likely look to private ones that are run as a business and look like 5 star hotels, There is rumour of avarice though, unnecessary tests and diagnosis leaning towards making more money. Public hospitals are more basic and vary from OK to dire. Much cheaper, longer waits, more language issues.... but they can be quite good, as the top tier doctors from the private places often are required to work in them.

To get a METV you need to apply at a USA Embassy or consulate. Usually the websites are quite comprehensive so look it up. It is valid for 6 month and is multi entry. Each entry can be extended for 30 days in country. By traveling into Thailand just before the Visa expires one could get a further 2 months extendable by 30 more days, a total of 9 months. 

3 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

Is there any link or site you would recommend that has Thailands specific policies? I began reading the U.S's policies. But first things first. Do I even want a multiple entry visa? Let's just say I want to stay for a year and I would like to travel but if it complicates my citizenship then no go. Im really coming to study/live for a year and maybe someday invest and retire like many others. I also may want to travel or come back to the US during summer. 

As you've said you plan on doing some travelling in the region, I would recommend you look at a Travel insurance policy from somebody like World Nomads.... https://www.worldnomads.com/eu/ 

I know a few people have suggested getting an METV & this would be the best Visa option for your needs (unless you want to pay < 500,000 THB for an Elite Visa), but are you sure you're eligible for one?

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
  2. One visa application form completely filled out  (Download)
  3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders Photos must be taken within 6 months.
  4. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
  5. A copy of  bank statement for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
  6. Hotel reservation confirmation (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
  7. For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
  8. A letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**)
  9. For students, full-time student status proof
  10. For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name.
  11. For minor under 20 years old, please provide following documents
  12. – Notarized copy of a birth certificate
  13. – Notarized copy of marriage certificate , In case of sole custody notarized copy of court order must be provided.
  14. – Notarized copy or original passports or ID of mother and father/ legal guardian
  15. – Original letter of notarized consent for the minor to travel abroad from mother and father/ legal guardian
  16. ***All supporting materials that are not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations and certified by an embassy only ***
  17. For Nigerian nationalities and passport holders, Certificate of Clearance from NDLEA and authenticated by The Ministry of Foreign Affair of Nigeria and Royal Thai Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria

I'm assuming you don't have an employer so will not be able to meet point 8, there is an option (point 9) for Students but does "Online Student" count? Obviously the best thing to do is to check with the embassy 

To be perfectly honest, I think the best Visa for your circumstances/requirements is a one year tourist visa... for Vietnam... Easy enough to visit Thailand from there

Good Luck with whatever you decide & enjoy the journey ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee