April 1 Is New 6 Month Period?

This happened in Bangkok Airport. The girl pulled out a card with two columns; entry dates from October first in the left column and corresponding 180 days in the right column.

Obviously nobody told her to count days instead of stamps. I don't speak enough thai to argue with morons so just let it go and told her up to you.

Amazing.

Even more because they have a printed sign on each booth ! The sign says : "... must not exceed 90 days per 6 month period of time...."

You should have asked for her supervisor !

I mean... we know... Thailand. But still, such stupidity looks totally surreal. Where do they hire their "officers" ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened in Bangkok Airport. The girl pulled out a card with two columns; entry dates from October first in the left column and corresponding 180 days in the right column.

Obviously nobody told her to count days instead of stamps. I don't speak enough thai to argue with morons so just let it go and told her up to you.

Amazing.

Even more because they have a printed sign on each booth ! The sign says : "... must not exceed 90 days per 6 month period of time...."

You should have asked for her supervisor !

I mean... we know... Thailand. But still, such stupidity looks totally surreal. Where do they hire their "officers" ?

I thought of asking for her supervisor but since I was not exactly sober I thought better not to rock the boat.

I've dealt with the consulate in LA and they have no clue what's going on just happy to be here with a job. I'm on my 3rd trip under the new rules and should have no problems but I'm making a small chart to stick in my passport chronicling my entry dates since October 06 and the total days within the 1st 6 months. I figure if you show them anything they can hang thier hat on and save face you'll be ok as long as you are in the right. These last few posts regarding the old "its the stamps" that count senario are disturbing however.

Firstly, I doesn't apply to me as I have been entering the Kingdom for a few years on an O-A Visa.....However, for the poor blokes who don't qualify and punters galors...

It is a rolling time window reqards to tourist visas.........NO more that 90 in any 180 days...Just a few weeks ago I gent was having a spat with an Immi Officer( DUMB) over the number of days he had in the Kingdom.. the fool said that he had 30 days left and hence should have been admitted for 30 days but the Immi Officer counted his tome to be only 14 and stamped him in for 14 days advising that any protest could be done in town at eh Main office, which many know is next to the Immi Jail..... It is rolling and all you get is......90 days. I feel sorry for the people whom live a meager exsistance on a pension of lesst the 2KUSD per month and now are considered to be riff raff as they must get booted for the 90/180 rule......

I have been asked to allow a freind to be a joint on my Bank of BKK acct for 5 min to get the letter so he qualifys............

Well, off to the Thai Lawyer who nixed the idea as if Immi checks and sees the deal I could get booted off my O-A.....

Edited by maestro
Non-related pictures removed.

I went to Poipet on a visa run yesterday with a well known company(Jack Total Golf Tours).

They said they are only going to Poipet and will not go to Ban Luam(my usual choice)until April.

I was a bit wary about this but seeing as my usual visa run company has gone bust,(And they are not alone since the new laws),I didn't have much choice,I remembered Poipet as being hassle 7 years ago but that was all on the Cambodian side.

I asked the girl at Jack Golf on the phone whilst booking if everything is O.K. at Poipet and of course she said yes.

To cut a long story short,2 of us received not 30 days but 15 days on re entry and told that we could have 30 days next time.

The reason for all this is that on one of my visa runs for one of the three 30 day stamps,I went a couple of days before it was due to expire due to commitments on the following days.

This meant that following a trip tp Laos for a 60 day tourist visa with a 30 day extension added,Yesterday was still within 180 days of getting my first 30 day stamp.

That's the new one,It's written clearly in my passport :180 . Then they came out with something that's completely new and even backtracks on what was announced concerning tourist visas back to back(surely Thais don't backtrack).

I was told that after 15 days I could get 30 days followed by another 30 days but then the 60 day visa will be my last one issued for the year.

That's the shocker,2 tourist visas issued in one year maximum unless issued in my country of origin.

Even though I have a defacto(commonlaw)wife and child here,Just try getting a Thai official to recognise a defacto relationship even though half the population have kids out of wedlock regardless of what you hear about old fashioned etc.Just spend time in the Isaan villages and see for yourself.

Back to the subject.

It is now impossible to spend any time in Thailand year round without having to return to the country of origin of your passport.

Many I've heard have gone to Cambodia and the Phillapines as the visas can be extended from inside the country and those countries are not making an art out of shooting themselves in the foot.

I have been thinking about Malaysia but it's hard to get much info on the subject even online unless you want a over 50s special long term visa but I'm 40 and not loaded nor have any kind of pension.

I know everything comes to an end or a new beginning and this I feel is it for Thailand.

You just know they will chase away any foreigners and their money before they will admit to being wrong.

Admitting to Being wrong is losing face and that can't be done.

Even though FACE is another word for EGO and ego is the thing BUDDHISTS suppress.

Thailand is a Buddhist country isn't it?

I've come to the conclusion that Thailand is like beer,You can't beat the feeling of

that first beer after a hard day. Just like that first trip to Thailand,Well you know the rest.

I went to Poipet on a visa run yesterday with a well known company(Jack Total Golf Tours).

They said they are only going to Poipet and will not go to Ban Luam(my usual choice)until April.

I was a bit wary about this but seeing as my usual visa run company has gone bust,(And they are not alone since the new laws),I didn't have much choice,I remembered Poipet as being hassle 7 years ago but that was all on the Cambodian side.

I asked the girl at Jack Golf on the phone whilst booking if everything is O.K. at Poipet and of course she said yes.

To cut a long story short,2 of us received not 30 days but 15 days on re entry and told that we could have 30 days next time.

The reason for all this is that on one of my visa runs for one of the three 30 day stamps,I went a couple of days before it was due to expire due to commitments on the following days.

This meant that following a trip tp Laos for a 60 day tourist visa with a 30 day extension added,Yesterday was still within 180 days of getting my first 30 day stamp.

That's the new one,It's written clearly in my passport :180 . Then they came out with something that's completely new and even backtracks on what was announced concerning tourist visas back to back(surely Thais don't backtrack).

I was told that after 15 days I could get 30 days followed by another 30 days but then the 60 day visa will be my last one issued for the year.

That's the shocker,2 tourist visas issued in one year maximum unless issued in my country of origin.

Even though I have a defacto(commonlaw)wife and child here,Just try getting a Thai official to recognise a defacto relationship even though half the population have kids out of wedlock regardless of what you hear about old fashioned etc.Just spend time in the Isaan villages and see for yourself.

Back to the subject.

It is now impossible to spend any time in Thailand year round without having to return to the country of origin of your passport.

Many I've heard have gone to Cambodia and the Phillapines as the visas can be extended from inside the country and those countries are not making an art out of shooting themselves in the foot.

I have been thinking about Malaysia but it's hard to get much info on the subject even online unless you want a over 50s special long term visa but I'm 40 and not loaded nor have any kind of pension.

I know everything comes to an end or a new beginning and this I feel is it for Thailand.

You just know they will chase away any foreigners and their money before they will admit to being wrong.

Even though FACE is another word for EGO and ego is the thing BUDDHISTS suppress.

I've come to the conclusion that Thailand is like beer,You can't beat the feeling of

that first beer after a hard day. Just like that first trip to Thailand,Well you know the rest.

If you have a child here you are able to apply for a non Imm O visa based on supporting a child, aren't you?

I made a small write up and please feel free to pm me .

Magic Date for entrieson 1.10.06 is 31.3.07 , for 2.10.06 is 1.4.07 and so on.

Word of caution for the person who go with a new passports to PoiPet.

Thai Immigration can do a online check against your name and will include previous entries in their calculation.

If carefully planned you can do up to 6 concecutives runs with only one 7 day extension in betwwen.

The new regulation , valid for entries AFTER the 1.10.2006 affects only people entering Thailand on the 30-day visa exempt stamp , which is NOT a Tourist Visa as many think .

The regulation stipulates that visitors can only spend 90 days out of every SIX-MONTH period on the visa-exempt stamp. Days spent in Thailand on any kind of visa do not count towards that 90-day total.

Further, Immigration only counts the days actually spent within Thai borders, as long as you don’t exceed 90 days in a SIX-MONTH period, the number of visa-exempt entries are unlimited.

Please calculate your days very carefully. There is NO emergency visa allowance at the border.

Following scenario is possible : get a Tourist Visa at a Embassy/Consulate in a neighboring country which is valid for a stay of 60 day , after that period you can apply at the BKK Immigration@ Soi Suan Plu for a extension of 30days for THB 1,900.-.

A Tourist Visa will always be extended for 30days.

Extension of a Visa exempt stamp and any Non Immigrant Visa will be granted for 7 days only.

After this you can do 3 x 30 days Border runs and apply again for a Tourist Visa or you can extent any of the 30day visa exempt stamp at a Immigration Office .

Please remember you are allowed to stay only 90days with a visa exempt stamp (3x30days) in any SIX-MONTH period starting after your first entry since 1 of October 2006. Each entry counts !

To plan your trip to Laos please refer to the Office and Holiday Schedule for Year 2007 of the Thai Embassy and Consulate in Laos.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/about_officetime.html

To plan your trip to Malaysia please contact the Thai Embassy and Consulate in Malaysia directly , they do not have a webpage.

If you are not sure about the days you have spend in the country please pm and give following specific and complete information.

Example:

1. Entry @ Airport 11.10.06 exit @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, 30days, visa type: visa exempt

2. Entry @ Ban Laem 9.11.06 exit@ Mukdahan 7.12.06, 29 days, visa type: visa exempt

Enter @ Mukdahan 8.12.06 exit @ Ban Laem 5.2.07 , 60days, and visa type: Tourist Visa

Extension Immigration Office for 30days , THB 1,900.- , extension until 6.3.07

3.Entry @ Ban Laem 6.3.07 permission to stay until 4.4.07 , 30 days , visa type : visa exempt

Immigration will allow this person back into the Country with a 30day visa exempt stamp on 10.4.07.

This person has now two possibilies .

A: Get another Extension (THB 1,900.-) for 7 days at the Immigration and re-enter Thailand on the 10.4.07 with a 30day visa waiver stamp to start a new SIX-MONTH period with 3x30days border runs .

B: Apply on/before the 4.407 for a new Tourist Visa.

We recommend that you apply for the extension at the Immigration Office.

Visit a Thai Embassy/Consulate twice a year to get a Tourist Visa, or going legal is set to get easier.

Foreigners can convert their 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration Department with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining, meaning you have up to 9 days time after your entry. Application fee THB 2,000.- .

Please note that your Passport needs to be valid for at least another 6 month for any Visa application.

Further info on MFA webpage : http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

All Embassies/Consulates in SEA will issue only Single Entry Tourist Visas.

Back to the subject.

what thaivisarunner says is true, i just returned from the jomtien immigration office where i got the 30 day extention on my tourist visa. previously i had 3 visa exempt entries in a row. my total duration of stay is 178 days since oct 2006. six months for me would be 183 days. they had a large cardboard sign at immig office stating the rule as we know it to be 90 days in 6 month period starting from date of 1st entry. i would have liked to ask a few questions of the officer but the jomtien office is not always the friendliest place. i was getting questioned extensively about a lost passport i had replaced 3 years ago? made all the more bizarre because i had been to this office before to get extentions on visa exempt entries and nobody asked me about it then? the basic question i wanted to ask the immig officer is would i need yet another 7 day extention to be able to make a border run? this office in jomtien is maybe not the place to do this, perhaps they're okay with 30 day tourists or 90 day tourists but if you've stayed longer than that, their thinking seems to be you're not a quality tourist.

Agreed that this explanation is the best so far

However there is a contentious issue in the following quote

If carefully planned you can do up to 6 concecutives runs with only one 7 day extension in between.

Officially this is not what the policy makers allowed (They have regular meetings to make sure border posts toe the line)

Officially you can only do 3 border runs (30 day no visa) consecutively regardless if

1. In different 6 month blocks

OR

2. Seperated by a 7 day extention

If carefully planned you can do up to 6 concecutives runs with only one 7 day extension in between.

Officially this is not what the policy makers allowed (They have regular meetings to make sure border posts toe the line)

Officially you can only do 3 border runs (30 day no visa) consecutively regardless if

OR

My experience is that Immigration at a certain border post are telling people their magic entry date and advise them if they go to Immigration to extent the 30day visa waiver by these 7 days they will be allowed back provided they are over the 180days.

No one has mentioned of any restriction as long as they cover 90/180day rule.

OR

My experience is that Immigration at a certain border post are telling people their magic entry date and advise them if they go to Immigration to extent the 30day visa waiver by these 7 days they will be allowed back provided they are over the 180days.

No one has mentioned of any restriction as long as they cover 90/180day rule.

I must be very thick but I am not clear at all with what you say.

Does it mean that each one has its own 180 days block determined by the first entry date on visa free stamp after 1 oct 2006 ?

If I enter for the first time on visa free entry on 20 Mar 07, my 180 days block will run until around 20 Sep 07 and I am allowed a maximum of 90 days on visa free entries until that date.

Lets say i used all my 90 days during that block (20 mar to 20 sep) What happens on my next entry lets say Sep 25, can I make a strait 3 times 30 days entries irrespective of when I was last in Thailand during my first 180 days block or does the 180 days block shifts ?

Sorry I amnotmaking myself clear maybe but it seems strange to me that you would be able to (in my example) be in Thaialnd the last 60 days of your first 180 days block and then do another 3 times 30 days entries because your second 18o days block would have started giving you in fact 5 months of continuus visa free entry days

Following scenario is possible : get a Tourist Visa at a Embassy/Consulate in a neighboring country which is valid for a stay of 60 day , after that period you can apply at the BKK Immigration@ Soi Suan Plu for a extension of 30days for THB 1,900.-.

Not exactly true. Samui Immigration has denied people with 60-day TV's their 30-day extension saying they have too many stamps and TV's in their passports. As always, up to the issuing officer.

Guys

Interesting reading here.

Very interesting, but so confusing.

I really need some help here.

Please guys.

Please.

I have been flying in and out from Thailand the last 6 years.

As I normally work 3 months on, and then have about 3 months off, this have been perfect for me.

Until recently of course.

I returned to Thailand the 14th of March, and got questioned by the Immigrations Officer at the air port.

She looked at a table, counting months, and then asked me how long I intended to stay. I replied 29 days.

She tried to explain something about the new visa rules, and said that next time you must have a visa.

I said of course, just happy to get my stamp and go home to my rented apartment.

Ok,

some numbers for you here.

I have (a new passport with the first) stamp dated the 17th of November 2006 (regular 30 day visa run).

Then I left Thailand for work the 6th of December 2006.

I returned to Bangkok again the 14th of March 2007.

Why did she lecturing me then?

I have been married for 13 months (to a Thai).

I understand that I can apply for a 12 month, multi entry, non immigrant visa?

Intend to do this in Phnom Penh.

Can anyone please tell me what I need to do, or bring with me, or how long time this will take?

Help is very much appreciated.

Sailor

You will not receive a multi entry visa in PP. Your best choice would be Singapore if you can show a bank account with 400k or KL if not (but you may not get in KL). Normally you should obtain a multi entry visa in your home country during a vacation.

The new rules took effect from October 1 entry so any time that you were using visa exempt entry on your old passport also counts against the 90 day total.

Not exactly true. Samui Immigration has denied people with 60-day TV's their 30-day extension saying they have too many stamps and TV's in their passports. As always, up to the issuing officer.

when i was at the jomtien immigration office today i made a point of walking over and reading all their large cardboard public information signs. one of them explains the "decentralization principle". supposedly, the purpose of empowering individual immigration officers with sweeping powers is to make the process more efficient, but from all the accounts coming in of these troubling deviations, the process seems to have gone awry. it's all just getting too ridiculous for me.

Edited by cali4995

Krup:

Yes that was going to be my next question. once the 90 day limit in the 1st 6 month period is reached (the 6 months is up) then when can we return (on the exempt stamps) to initiate our new 6th month and hence new 90 days?

Plus to make things worse what if you never reach the 90 day limit.? i.e. if your various trips in and out of Thaialnd are very short and the 6 month period is rolling, its possible not to have 90 days within any 6 month period. Is this accurate?

Buddah help us!

You will not receive a multi entry visa in PP. Your best choice would be Singapore if you can show a bank account with 400k or KL if not (but you may not get in KL). Normally you should obtain a multi entry visa in your home country during a vacation.

The new rules took effect from October 1 entry so any time that you were using visa exempt entry on your old passport also counts against the 90 day total.

Thnx for quick reply.

So,

If I fly to S.Pore (before my present 30 days expire), then present original (Thai, as I married here) marriage certificate, proof from the bank (UOB, used to be Bangkok Bank) with more then 400 000 Thai Baht, copy of my wife's ID card.

(By the way, the bank acount is in both mine and my wife's name).

Then I will get a 12 month multi entry non immigrant visa?

I'm so confused,

sorry about this.

I'm sure I read somewhere in the Forum that if I get a regular (lets say 60 day) tourist visa in S.Pore, then return to BKK, I can get the 12 month multi entry visa here in BKK.

Please correct me If I'm wrong here.

Regarding the new rules.

I thought I could be (in and out) in the country for a total of 90 days within the 180 days (or 6 months)"window".

I only have from 17th of November to the 6th of December 2006.

PS. I have not been to my home country for several years, since I have spent all my vacations here (with my wife).

Rgds

Sailor

Does it mean that each one has its own 180 days block determined by the first entry date on visa free stamp after 1 oct 2006 ?

Yes .

Well, it looks like I was right when I said they would not consider rolling periods and backward counting, and explained why:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...33;entry1129323

:o

No, tropo, backward calculation is not in conformity with the regulations.

The count starts at the first entry as I said before and as the rule states:

Royal Thai Police Order No. 608/2549

"3. Passport holder...shall be permitted for multiple entry into Thailand, by permission of which must not exceed thirty days per entry wit a total period of stay not exceeding ninety days within six months from the date of the first entry into the Kingdom..."

(official transalation: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp608EN.pdf)

It says "within six months from the date of the first entry" and not "within six months from the date of the last entry (backwards)"

They must not consider the semester prior to each entry, they must consider the semester(s) AFTER the FIRST entry.

This is what the rule states. But anyway we can never be sure how an immigration officer interpretes it case by case. And they care little about being exact in your favour.

In Europe, as I mentioned before, there are (almost) identical rules for tourists, and visa sections of consulates abroad and immigration police in Europe count the periods the way I said. But even here you can find some officer who has his own ideas...

Convention Implementing the Schengen Agreement

Article 20: "Aliens not subject to a visa requirement may move freely within the territories of the Contracting Parties for a maximum period of three months during the six months following the date of first entry..."

Counting backwards is not what the regulations mean and not what an immigration officer wants to get lost in.

:D

Krup:

Yes that was going to be my next question. once the 90 day limit in the 1st 6 month period is reached (the 6 months is up) then when can we return (on the exempt stamps) to initiate our new 6th month and hence new 90 days?

Plus to make things worse what if you never reach the 90 day limit.? i.e. if your various trips in and out of Thaialnd are very short and the 6 month period is rolling, its possible not to have 90 days within any 6 month period. Is this accurate?

Buddah help us!

For visa runner ?

Yes I don't know because it would mean you could have let's say a business trip of 1 day which would start your 1st 180 days

Then before the end of the 180 days you could be in for 89 days bringing you to the last day of your first 180 days.

Could you then re-enter on your 89th day of your ssecond period (the first day of your second 180 days) and stay another 90 days giving you a total of 179 days (89 on the end of the first 190 days block and 90 days on the start if the 2nd 180 days block) ?

Edited by Krub

Thnx for quick reply.

So,

If I fly to S.Pore (before my present 30 days expire), then present original (Thai, as I married here) marriage certificate, proof from the bank (UOB, used to be Bangkok Bank) with more then 400 000 Thai Baht, copy of my wife's ID card.

I'm so confused,

sorry about this.

I'm sure I read somewhere in the Forum that if I get a regular (lets say 60 day) tourist visa in S.Pore, then return to BKK, I can get the 12 month multi entry visa here in BKK.

Regarding the new rules.

I thought I could be (in and out) in the country for a total of 90 days within the 180 days (or 6 months)"window".

PS. I have not been to my home country for several years, since I have spent all my vacations here (with my wife).

Rgds

Sailor

Singapore is currently operating on such a system and KL seems to be another option (without financial proof but not everyone obtains). You can at least obtain a single entry which allows a 90 day stay. No, you can not obtain a new visa in Bangkok but if you can prove family income of 40k per month you can extend your stay one year at a time at an Immigration office. What you read was probably that you could convert a tourist visa to a non immigrant O single entry and then extend at Immigration. But that requires financial proof for change and for extension of stay. You might be able to do the change part as they will accept 400k for that but would not be able to do the extension of stay part which requires 40k income without proof of that.

Thnx for quick reply.

So,

I'm so confused,

sorry about this.

Regarding the new rules.

Rgds

Sailor

Singapore is currently operating on such a system and KL seems to be another option (without financial proof but not everyone obtains). You can at least obtain a single entry which allows a 90 day stay. No, you can not obtain a new visa in Bangkok but if you can prove family income of 40k per month you can extend your stay one year at a time at an Immigration office. What you read was probably that you could convert a tourist visa to a non immigrant O single entry and then extend at Immigration. But that requires financial proof for change and for extension of stay. You might be able to do the change part as they will accept 400k for that but would not be able to do the extension of stay part which requires 40k income without proof of that.

Thnx again

What I need is a multi entry visa, since I'm in and out of the country (work about 3 months on and off) regularly, and never visit my home country.

40K per month, no problem.

More then 400K on book, also ok.

So, bottom line is what do all other married "farangs" do in Thailand, in order to stay here, if they work outside Thailand?

All the best

Sailor

40K per month, no problem....work outside Thailand

Income earned outside Thailand is acceptable for your application for annual extension of stay.

--

Maestro

Thnx for that.

:-)

But I need to come and go (multi entry), not just an extension.

rgds

Sailor