Angkor Wat

onzestan

Hi there,

We (2 adults and my 2 grandchildren 16 and 14)) are considering a trip to Siem Reap to visit Angkor Wat,

and find the monopoly prices of Bangkok Airways a bit steep.

So we might consider going overland but we do have safety concerns, especialy since I am 67,and do have a medical condition. Is the trip from the border to Siem Reap comfortable, are the road conditions acceptable (hard top-dirt)?

The hotel we are considering is Prince d'Angkor Hotel and Spa, having read some positive reviews.

Any comments, tips, advice is very welcome.

Thanks beforehand

Onzestan

We went a few months ago, and the road from Aranyaphet (PoiPet) to Siem Reap is atrocious. Dirt not paved, very potholed, dusty, truly the "Wild West." We rode in a Toyota Camry sedan, which might be cramped for four big tourists and the driver and tour guide. A van would be better, but you would not enjoy it.

We went a few months ago, and the road from Aranyaphet (PoiPet) to Siem Reap is atrocious. Dirt not paved, very potholed, dusty, truly the "Wild West." We rode in a Toyota Camry sedan, which might be cramped for four big tourists and the driver and tour guide. A van would be better, but you would not enjoy it.

Thanks PeaceBlondie,

Looks like we will have to resort to Bangkok Air :o

By the way, I am the only one of us 4 that can be considered big, and then only at the waist line (joke)!!!

Thanks again much appreciated

Regards

Onzestan

The journey between Poipet and Siem reap is rough but only for about an hour or so. Some of the road is ok, it all depends really, the difference in cost of 4 return tickets BKK - REP with bangkok Air and going overland via a none to perfect road, if your used to doing long journeys with the family you may not find it that bad really?

What I do know is the reward at the end makes it all worth it. See here for a more detailed update of the conditions of the road between Poipet and Siem Reap.

Of course it would also depend on what the medical condition was.

Edited by enyaw

I'm doing the same with my mum, daddy and gf.

We are flying to Phon Phen, hiring a driver (about $50USD) to go to Angkor Wat (about 4/5hrs)

The good point of doing that is that we see two cities and I paid about 35USD each for the return tickets.:-)

Cheers

g.

I'm doing the same with my mum, daddy and gf.

We are flying to Phon Phen, hiring a driver (about $50USD) to go to Angkor Wat (about 4/5hrs)

The good point of doing that is that we see two cities and I paid about 35USD each for the return tickets.:-)

Cheers

g.

That's a much bettr idea if you have the time and would like to see Phnom Penh also which is a very nice city too in some parts.

Thanks to every body for all your suggestions.

Might consider doing Pnom Penh combination.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks again

Cheers

Onzestan

I Can recommend the "Bopha Angkor" Hotel in Siem Reap...........it's just the other side of the river and a short 5 mins stroll to the night market, bars and restaurants...........lovely staff, comfortable rooms and a good breakfast.

The journey between Poipet and Siem reap is rough but only for about an hour or so. Some of the road is ok, it all depends really, ... if your used to doing long journeys with the family you may not find it that bad really?

What I do know is the reward at the end makes it all worth it.

Wonder what you had in mind by "the reward at the end makes it all worth it"?

Is the paperwork at the border and any potential hassle by cambodian police etc something to deter one?

OK, thanks for the clarification, I guess it wasn't that unclear in the first place.

How bad is that hour of bad road? What car did you do it in? I don't mhave a high clearance 4 wheel drive. Would you riule out doing it in an ordinary car?

Is there somewhere I can get advance - and definitive - info in english on the paperwork that will be wanted at the border?

The worst part of the road is as rough as a badgers bum basically but it's bareable, I shared a taxi which was just your usual type taxi car, but the plus side of this is the drivers know the road and are able to navigate through the rough bit quite quickly.

The road is laughable really considering how many tourist are traveling up and down it, surly that's a good enough reason to get it sealed, considering how much money it could help bring in to the country?

As for entering Cambodia through Poipet, it's a straight forward visa on arrival $20 and passport size photo is all that's needed see here.

Thanks to every body for all your suggestions.

Might consider doing Pnom Penh combination.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks again

Cheers

Onzestan

I really would do the Air Asia flight to PP ... then go up and back from there ...

I would also HIGHLY suggest the boat ride up or back ... shoots most of a day but it is great scenery and a glimpse into village life along the Mekhong anf Thonlay Sap rivers. You'll pass Muslim Chan villages and Khmer villages ... get to the boat early and bring some food. Bring good sunblock and let the kids hang out on the roof while you stay inside in relatively airconditioned comfort!

PS ... I have done overland and would NEVER put myself through that again!

Edited by jdinasia

My brother did the journey in the wet season and it took him over 10 hours in the back of a pick up. That was about 8 years ago, I did the same in about 3 hours a few years ago, I didn't think it was too bad but agree with you about flying down to PP an then up the Talay Sap by boat a much better way to do it.

My brother did the journey in the wet season and it took him over 10 hours in the back of a pick up. That was about 8 years ago, I did the same in about 3 hours a few years ago, I didn't think it was too bad but agree with you about flying down to PP an then up the Talay Sap by boat a much better way to do it.

12 hours for me in the rain ...... was in a bus

The roads out of Poipet are dirt ... there was a mud pit in the center of each village and we never got above 20kmh ... then a nice little stretch of asphalt at the cut off to battambang. Then out of that place it was mud again with one lane wooden bridges .... an hour or so further in one of the busses from the same company slid off the mud road and into a rice paddy. Our bus driver got a cable and pulled him out ... 2 more hours and we get to a traffic jam!

A traffic jam you say?! YES!

A lorry (big truck) had crashed axels deep through one of the one lane bridges .... The last 2 hours (after an hour wait) was 16 people to a pickup truck in the rain !

not a chance I'd do that again .... in any season

12 hours for me in the rain ...... was in a bus

The roads out of Poipet are dirt ... there was a mud pit in the center of each village and we never got above 20kmh ... then a nice little stretch of asphalt at the cut off to battambang. Then out of that place it was mud again with one lane wooden bridges .... an hour or so further in one of the busses from the same company slid off the mud road and into a rice paddy. Our bus driver got a cable and pulled him out ... 2 more hours and we get to a traffic jam!

A traffic jam you say?! YES!

A lorry (big truck) had crashed axels deep through one of the one lane bridges .... The last 2 hours (after an hour wait) was 16 people to a pickup truck in the rain !

not a chance I'd do that again .... in any season

Well it just wasn't that bad when I did it.. simple as that. Set off from patters at 8.00 arrived check point around 11.00 took around 1hr 30 to get sorted with visa and have lunch. Share taxi to siem reap stopping off on the way for refreshing beers, arrived guest house at 4.30'ish, quick shower and change of clothes and made it just in time for sunset on mount bahkeng.. easy peasy japanesey.

Edited by enyaw

Weebadger, unfortunately you cannot cross the border with your own vehicle.

Sorry.........you CAN cross the border in your own vehicle. You CANNOT cross in a hire car.

The good news is that they are supposed to be building a new Super highway from Surin to Siem Riep. The road from Surin to Prasad is already finished. Rumours from inside Cambodia is they have started the new road. But it is from Chong Samon, not Chong Chom, so it goes through Anlong Veng. How they are going to link up the two roads is anyones guess. It seems to me like the story of two roads built to cross a river, done independantly and when they got to the banks they were 50 miles apart.

Thanks to all you Guys and Girls,

Very informing indeed.

Seems I will fly, don't know yet if via PP or straight to SR.

Thanks again

Cheers

Onzestan

Sorry to jump in on thread, all info was helpful, BUT I have a wrinkle! Arriving BKK at 11:55 PM 4/5/07 going to Poipet/Siem Reap.

I have Service Dog and I have been trying to find out if local airlines will accept dog in cabin? No answer to my e-mails. Have to now plan on taxi since I am guessing that Bus/Train would not allow Dog. That means taxi from BKK to border early 4/6/07. I have not had replies from e-mails to taxi services. So when I arrive at BKK I have no idea on how I will get to border. Anyone who has an idea would sure be a help. I have no fear or problems traveling, what ever the conditions. JKJones , Thanks

Very informing indeed.

Thanks again

Cheers

Onzestan

Sorry to jump in on thread, all info was helpful, BUT I have a wrinkle! Arriving BKK at 11:55 PM 4/5/07 going to Poipet/Siem Reap.

I have Service Dog and I have been trying to find out if local airlines will accept dog in cabin? No answer to my e-mails. Have to now plan on taxi since I am guessing that Bus/Train would not allow Dog. That means taxi from BKK to border early 4/6/07. I have not had replies from e-mails to taxi services. So when I arrive at BKK I have no idea on how I will get to border. Anyone who has an idea would sure be a help. I have no fear or problems traveling, what ever the conditions. JKJones , Thanks

Air Asia's website says they will not accept animals at all ....

I take my dog with me everywhere but she goes into cargo on Bangkok Airlines

Very informing indeed.

Thanks again

Cheers

Onzestan

For an idea of the state of some of Cambodia's roads, have a look at this web-site:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o...=27751&v=5X

This chap has cycled all over the place and has some interesting and humorous information on his site, as well as some good photos. I don't know him, and am in no way am affiliated to the site, so I hope it is ok to post the link here (it seemed unreasonable to steal a photo from his website).

Cheers,

Mike