Grab in Pattaya

Beggar

On 8/26/2019 at 6:41 AM, Los Luver said:

I wonder why farangs would be interested in using these apps in one of the cheapest countries in the world....

Less hassle (meters etc), cheaper, better vehicles, more responsive? TVers are complaining constantly about Thai prices up, up and away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Less hassle (meters etc), cheaper, better vehicles, more responsive? TVers are complaining constantly about Thai prices up, up and away.

Perhaps one can use the Grab app to bargain with the "normal" taxi drivers that don't want to use the meter (that you cannot trust anyway). Look Grab charges to get there 250. I give you 200 - okay? 

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:41 AM, Los Luver said:

I wonder why farangs would be interested in using these apps in one of the cheapest countries in the world....

One of the stupidest posts...ever. And THAT is saying something. Congrats newb! ???? 

7 minutes ago, sillysassy said:

not like uber which is 100% credit card

I don't know what Uber have against cash, it was withdrawn in the UK and I had to add Paypal, another level of commission takers, it was no longer competitive. Grab in Pattaya works well , many private owners seem to do a nightshift.

Edited by jacko45k

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am now quoted 170 Thb for a distance of 950 m., and supposed to be a 5 minutes drive. 

What's wrong with you people,  can walk 1 km in 10 minutes. Just walk, it's good for you and your lady and it's FREE!

18 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I am now quoted 170 Thb for a distance of 950 m., and supposed to be a 5 minutes drive. 

It could also be a 15 min walk if you are fit. Short distances are never a good deal, get a WIN for 40 baht.

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It could also be a 15 min walk if you are fit.

I always walked in my life, never drove a motorcycle or car.

Now at 71, a taxi to get home with my purchases would be welcome.

But I am too greedy to pay that price.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:19 PM, Beggar said:

Perhaps one can use the Grab app to bargain with the "normal" taxi drivers that don't want to use the meter (that you cannot trust anyway). Look Grab charges to get there 250. I give you 200 - okay? 

Let me know when you try that. They don't lower their price when they tell me 500b to go to Swampy and I tell them to drive on.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:41 PM, Los Luver said:

Seriously??

With Grab Car  you know the price to your destination before you enter the vehicle.    No rip offs.

Also,  most of the cars I've used were quite nice and clean.

The drivers without exception have been polite and friendly.

Does that answer your question?

21 hours ago, sillysassy said:

i use Grab all the time. not just in thailand, been using grab in philippines, malaysia, singapore and indonesia.

i like the fact that each trip is recorded on the internet, so there is a record if anything goes wrong

and Grab allows you to pay cash to the driver, not like uber which is 100% credit card

Both very good points. Wasn't aware of the internet record. How do you access that?

Grab is legal. Driving a taxi (or Grab) when car doesn't have yellow plates is the part that is a problem. Same goes for motorcycles and buses. Those that have been registered for public transport have yellow plates, those that aren't have white plates.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:44 PM, Alex2554 said:

Grab taxi is legal as a smartphone-based taxi booking and dispatching service using regular taxi.

Grab car is illegal because it allows passengers to book a chauffeured ride using private vehicles and drivers without commercial licence

Is Grab Taxi still a thing in Pattaya?  I don't see it when I open the Grab app.  How is it accessed?

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

Is Grab Taxi still a thing in Pattaya?  I don't see it when I open the Grab app.  How is it accessed?

Don't see it either.... 

There is a new 'Rent' option of getting a vehicle by time rather than trip.

i use Grab all the time. not just in thailand, been using grab in philippines, malaysia, singapore and indonesia.
i like the fact that each trip is recorded on the internet, so there is a record if anything goes wrong

and Grab allows you to pay cash to the driver, not like uber which is 100% credit card

Now Grab charges extra for using cash this now policy like so much connected to Grab again has me missing Uber that was so much better and cheaper .

14 minutes ago, Lumbini said:

Now Grab charges extra for using cash this now policy like so much connected to Grab again has me missing Uber that was so much better and cheaper .

Well when Uber stopped accepting cash, introducing another level of commissions (in the UK), they became less competitive. When introduced it was marvelous, now back to calling direct to Taxi companies there and hearing 'be there in 5 minutes' before I even tell them where I am. 

Seems like these solutions deteriorate, I can usually find a taxi for my longish trip home from Pattaya and price is same.

Anyone know how to see the menu in English for some restaurants?  For example, If you try order Texas Chicken it's all in Thai. I can sort of figure it out from the pictures but it would be nice to see what it says in English.  The app doesn't seem to let me cut paste the Thai into google Translate either.

Edited by lapd