Newer Sleeping Train

JimmyTheMook

4 hours ago, p414 said:

Having once traveled back from Chang Mai by bus....Never again.

Trains are safer but single line track means many halts waiting for some overladen goods train to amble through..

I don't know why people here are adverse to taking buses.

I have taken quite a lot of times and never had any problems with them. Of course, I always take the vip class buses with free snacks and drinks that trains don't offer. It is also quite spacious and less bumpy sleep.

1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

Not to mention the Disco music, glitter ball hit by lasers, and cramped dancing in the dining car at 9pm on the BKK to CM route.  Was the bomb!

Along with a 1/2  train long conga line.....A good kind of rowdy.....

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I have taken quite a lot of times and never had any problems with them. Of course, I always take the vip class buses with free snacks and drinks that trains don't offer. It is also quite spacious and less bumpy sleep.

I guess you missed the weekly pics of buses lying on their side with bloodied and dead paseengers. Your playing russian roulette

A train gives you a flat bed and can go for a walk . cant do that on a bus

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Because some people prefer a better chance of getting there safely 

36 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Because some people prefer a better chance of getting there safely 

I still see many people cycling around Chiang Mai even though it's more dangerous than a big bus when being hit.

Edited by EricTh

The new sleepers are comfortable and clean. Lower berth bigger and more comfortable. Of course nobody would take the sleeper train for speed, aircon buses are faster but not so safe. And budget airlines fares are often not much more than the train. But views from the train are worthwhile an hour or two before Chiang Mai. Train for the journey, plane for speed but overnight buses no thanks.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:53 PM, EricTh said:

Loud people, phones dinging, dirty/smelly toilets, long uncomfortable ride, turning a one hour flight into a lousy 10 hour bus ride.

Recently paid 800b flight to CM no thanks to a bus..

Edited by bkk6060