Scooter Wreck and Passport Seizure

Hope you get it sorted out. It's a shady situation and let it be a learning experience for you. One thing too learn is how corrupt or shady institutions can be here including police. Mix that with the fact you are a foreigner in a vulnerable position at this point.  Best of luck to you.

It may be of interest to contact another police Stanton to inquire about this incident and if there is a different response or they say differently from what you experienced, then bring that up. Just an idea. Tourist police call center? Not receiving any paperwork is a sign of corruption for sure. They dont have to log or submit it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correct. I think all rental companies have to have third-party. That is why I'd like to get them involved tomorrow. 

As far as I know, it is illegal to hold a passport. It is not mine. It is property of US Gov, etc. I just didn't want to push that option and start getting aggro until I had to.

Was hoping for a quieter solution if I just waited. Try insurance first. Let them settle.

Again, right or wrong, I have been around the block enough here and other SEA countries to know I will pay no matter what. I just want to get that number down. Stupid to throw out an anchor bid of 10,000 but I did. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the police translator telling me I had to bring the bike back for scientific analysis before trial (I have this in a Line message from her) was the moment I started getting suspicious. Considering I had just pulled it out of a weed covered lot.

I don't know how often they spin up CSI here for traffic accidents. Was a new one to me. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Correct. I think all rental companies have to have third-party. That is why I'd like to get them involved tomorrow. 

As far as I know, it is illegal to hold a passport. It is not mine. It is property of US Gov, etc. I just didn't want to push that option and start getting aggro until I had to.

Was hoping for a quieter solution if I just waited. Try insurance first. Let them settle.

Again, right or wrong, I have been around the block enough here and other SEA countries to know I will pay no matter what. I just want to get that number down. Stupid to throw out an anchor bid of 10,000 but I did. 

Thai insurance is worthless. It is worth less than a dog turd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

I can pretty much assure you that you were not insured in the "Western sense" of being insured. You will have to pay to get this to go away, the quicker you do so, the smaller the bill will be. The only fly in the ointment here is that you now don't have your passport so they can take you for a lot more. A few scratches and damaged lights on a Thai scooter can be fixed for 1500 easily, ask to see the hospital bills for the injured party, I suspect that they are fictitious.

Of course, if you are planning on leaving soon you could request an emergency travel document from your embassy on the basis that your passport has been stolen by these people and then you could give them your middle finger.

Walk away, get your travel document and go home. They lose, you win.

Right up to the very point the OP returns for his next trip.....

1 hour ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Yes, the police translator telling me I had to bring the bike back for scientific analysis before trial (I have this in a Line message from her) was the moment I started getting suspicious. Considering I had just pulled it out of a weed covered lot.

I don't know how often they spin up CSI here for traffic accidents. Was a new one to me. 

The 'scientific analysis' you speak of is a fairly normal process here when involved in an accident and the police wish to proportion blame. 

There is nothing scientific about it, they just look and see if the damage is at the front or side and make a decision based on that.

I had a similar encounter when I contested blame in a car accident. We had to take the vehicles to a different station the following day, someone from the Police Highways Dept (a pseudo crash investigator of sorts) stepped out of his station and took a look - said 50.50 and that was it (the other guy wasn't insured, so I accepted that my insurance would cover my damages only, but I wasn't willing to accept full blame as the guy was faking injuries and I didn't want to be left open to a claim). 

• Like 1

You did not give yourself some more time on your visa. At best you will get fined when exiting Thailand or worst the police will detain, deport and blacklist you. 

Be aware that your plan of back and forth via airplane will probably fail and you will get denied sooner than later. You should get a tourist visa in a nearby country so at least you will get 60 days extendable. Be aware that some embassy like Vientiane don't like to see extension in your passport. 

The back and forth strategy still work if you use any land border except Poipet but is limited to 2 per calendar year. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Its not illegal for passports to be held if a criminal investigation is ongoing and their is a possible flight risk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Frazzled? - Tired or Drunk?

If it was not your fault, why would you be expected to pay anything?

If you were not drunk and not at fault, play firm. You don't have to pay anyone anything. They can try and get money from you, they can use threats etc... but in the end not much can be done other than create an inconvenience for you. The reason they expect or think you will pay is because other Westerners have wet their pants and paid up.

Trial over a damaged scooter ?? thats incredibly unlikely.

Report to your embassy that the Police have confiscated your passport and are shaking you down. 

bumps and scrapes ARE ALWAYS farangs fault....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Thanks Richard and Steve. 

They took my passport to 'make a copy' and then didn't give it back.

I offered 10k to the family today. They weren't happy with that number. I can try 20k as well.

Is it stupid to involve the insurance company from the scooter rental company?

Firstly , this is what you should have done in the first place , call insurance. However what made you think there is insurance ? Usually there is not one. Also keep in mind , even if have one, but you do not have thai DL, insurance will not pay anything as many policies stipulate thai dl.

about passport, this is normal procedure despite what many like think as you are a flight risk.

do not forget you will also be liable for your bike as well.

if you say you not at fault, why pay? Demand they pay.

have police charged you with reckless driving? 

In the end of the day it’s a civil matter unless you were under influence or without proper DL 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Most do not have insurance , the only insurance bike has is a compulsory one which pays from memory up to 15000 -18000 in medical bills

• Confused 1